[SOLVED] Memory frequency query

May 8, 2020
Hi,

I have recently purchased a HP Pavilion gaming laptop 15-EC0002NA.

The laptop comes with 8GB memory (2x4gb) installed with a frequency speed of 3200 mhz. However, the laptop memory frequency speed is locked at 2400 mhz. This is shown in the task manager and CPU-Z shows the memory NB frequency as 1197.6 mhz.

What is the purpose of having a higher frequency ram because the clock speed is locked at 2400 mhz and I have tried to see if this can be changed in the bios settings but it appears HP does not allow this. The laptop has AMD cpu and has boost clock so would the memory frequency be automatically adjusted aswell?

Would the laptop actually utilise the full 3200 mhz frequency speed or is it locked at 2400 mhz?

I am looking to upgrade the ram from 8gb to 16gb so would it be worth spending the extra money to buy the 3200mhz frequency?

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Solution
And as far as why your system came with 3200 it's probably because for the manufacturer it cost he same or less to just get a huge order of 3200 vs some 3200 and some 2666 or slower.