[SOLVED] Memory kit performing way below expectatins

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
Yep, it shows 1465.8mhz which roughly, doubled, (Since DDR is double data rate) is about 2933mhz. Seems right to me. Those 1066 are just the stock JEDEC specs showing, not the actual speed. It's also running in dual channel so I see no problems especially after adding in the much improved userbenchmark scores.

I say you are good to go.

kqla0.jpg
I did read and I didn't see any recommendation of following the G.Skill QVL or RAM Configurator when selecting memory. That information is what we have tested to be compatible, so it is important for a user to know. If a user chooses not to use a listed combination, the rated specifications of a memory kit can not be expected.

Now if a combination is listed and a user is having a problem, we can re-test and work with them to see exactly what is going on. There is no reason the combination does not work if it is certified by G.Skill. If there is a new BIOS that alters compatibility, we can work with the motherboard company to resolve that right away. However, if a combination is not listed, any complications can be more difficult to resolve.

I'm not saying the G.Skill QVL and RAM Configurator are the only memory kits that can possibly work, I am simply stating if one would like to avoid potential issues, and expect the rated specifications, it is best to follow the mentioned lists. There is a reason kits are not on the G.Skill QVL..

I understand your general position about QVLs as a consumer, but I am speaking specifically of G.Skill as there is difference. We do guarantee the rated specifications (XMP Profile) or 'outside JEDEC specifications' of a memory kit, granted the CPU is capable. For this reason, we will continue to stress the need to follow G.Skill QVL and bringing it up as a reminder to people so they can avoid issues and have a better time getting their system to work properly at the desired speed purchased.

Last edited:
That's not what I said.

What you said was

Have you tried each module to see if both perform the same?

And then I said:

I realize you are coming in late on this, but it would be advisable that you take the time to read the entire thread before posting when you DO come in late. Because if you had you could avoid recommending remedies which have already been suggested to no avail. Just saying.

In support of which is this post from the first page of this thread.

Have you tried the memory individually, in the A2 slot, to see if you can get them to run at the advertised speed when only one memory module is installed? And try both modules to be sure it isn't just a bad memory module?

In which case had you read that, or if you did, then had you factored it into your reply, you would have known that the OP did in fact try just that without success. Presumably.

As for the QVL list, yes I understand that your list assumes it can run at the full specs if all the criteria are met and it is listed, however, I've seen fifty or more threads here where memory that was listed as compatible on the G.Skill QVL list for a given board did not work or at least did not work without a good deal of fiddling, or a need for a BIOS update, or a need for an overclock to bolster the memory controller and actually get them stable at the advertised specifications on the XMP profile.

I agree that looking at your QVL list is a good place to start in many cases, but I do not agree that it is an infallible resource.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Quick question, could my RAM be the reason that I am getting really bad frame rates and performance in games? Like GTA 5 although I know that this is a big game, I am hitting 40-60 frames.

RAM can always be the reason for any kind of poor performance if something isn't right, but that doesn't necessarily mean that is the case, in this case. However, obviously if the memory isn't able to run at the advertised speed and in dual channel, performance is going to tank.

@gskill support , so you're trying to tell me that the fact that the G.skill configurator shows ZERO support for that motherboard on ANY module which is 2666 or 3000mhz, is accurate? Because when you search out compatible memory on the G.skill site for the OP's motherboard, the MSI X470 Gaming Plus, there are ZERO 2666 or 3000mhz sticks that show up. That can't be right, and if it is, it's a gross lack of any attempt to find compatibility.

So, if this is accurate, which I'm doubtful of, it could certainly explain why those sticks don't want to work right in your board.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
RAM can always be the reason for any kind of poor performance if something isn't right, but that doesn't necessarily mean that is the case, in this case. However, obviously if the memory isn't able to run at the advertised speed and in dual channel, performance is going to tank.

@gskill support , so you're trying to tell me that the fact that the G.skill configurator shows ZERO support for that motherboard on ANY module which is 2666 or 3000mhz, is accurate? Because when you search out compatible memory on the G.skill site for the OP's motherboard, the MSI X470 Gaming Plus, there are ZERO 2666 or 3000mhz sticks that show up. That can't be right, and if it is, it's a gross lack of any attempt to find compatibility.

So, if this is accurate, which I'm doubtful of, it could certainly explain why those sticks don't want to work right in your board.
So I am getting my replacement kit tomorrow. What is the safest thing for me to do? Load an A-XMP profile or do it manually?

Yep, it shows 1465.8mhz which roughly, doubled, (Since DDR is double data rate) is about 2933mhz. Seems right to me. Those 1066 are just the stock JEDEC specs showing, not the actual speed. It's also running in dual channel so I see no problems especially after adding in the much improved userbenchmark scores.

I say you are good to go.

kqla0.jpg

Solution