[SOLVED] Memory making weird buzzing noise

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

T0wns

Commendable
Feb 11, 2021
So I just had some work done on my pc, I had the back I/O panel removed so I could make room for other expansions, and it won’t boot anymore. The system makes a weird buzzing noise coming from the RAM.

It randomly chose to boot up once, but I wasn’t thinking and I tried to put my GPU in while it was running. There was a sparking noise, and it returned to that state.
I have tried:
Replacing all the memory
Unplugging my gpu and my usb 3.0 card
Switching power cables
Unplugging and plugging back in all of the PSU cables
Just repeatedly unplugging-plugging back in the power cord
My PC is an old HP rp-5800 with an i5-2400, GTX 1050 TI, 20GB ram, 1TB HDD, and a 240 watt PSU.
Please don’t comment on how bad my system is unless it’s helpful.
So what can I do?

Solution
No. There's generally only 1 kind of repair that ever gets done on a motherboard and that's a recap, where they replace all those barrel shaped caps. Other than that, when a motherboard gets toasted its next to impossible to actually fix unless you already know exactly which component is the issue.

Repair shops generally charge @ $100 for the first hour, and anywhere from $50 to $100 per hour or part of.

Which makes a $50 motherboard a disposable item.

Repair shops generally diagnose issues and replace the offending part, because it's cheaper for you and is less time for them, greater turnover = more money for them. That and almost all do not have either the right tools or the electronics engineering to actually find what's toasted...