Question Memory Management BSOD, but only while gaming ?

Jul 2, 2022
I have been having this problem for nearly half a year now, I've done all the test I got recommended and it still shows that nothing on my ram has an error.

Memtest HCL shows no problems
Sfc /scannow shows no problems
Chkdsk shows no problems
several memory benchmarks (No errors detected, nor did any BSODs occur)

Heres the Minidump
https://files.catbox.moe/uwtkwe.rar

CPU-Z validation specs
https://valid.x86.fr/1ulr16
Mobo is a A320M first revision
PSU is a RAVE 500W 80Plus

Some of the games it occurs on are GTA 5, Hoi4, and Valorant.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

CPU-Z doesn't show the make and model of your PSU, let alone it's age. It also doesn't show the PCB revision of your motherboard, which is necessary when trying to distinguish if your motherboard, is pending any BIOS updates. At this moment of time, Gigabyte have 3 PCB revisions for your motherboard's chipset/series. Which one do you have? Looking through all three PCB versions' support page's, it seems you have PCB rev 1.x, correct?

Reactions: Unknown44
Jul 2, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

CPU-Z doesn't show the make and model of your PSU, let alone it's age. It also doesn't show the PCB revision of your motherboard, which is necessary when trying to distinguish if your motherboard, is pending any BIOS updates. At this moment of time, Gigabyte have 3 PCB revisions for your motherboard's chipset/series. Which one do you have? Looking through all three PCB versions' support page's, it seems you have PCB rev 1.x, correct?
Yes you are correct it is the rev 1.x while my BIOS version is at F32 if I remember correctly and my PSU is a 500watt RAVE which I bought 3 or 4 years ago.

sorry about the lacking info! I just found out about their being other revisions for my mobo right now.

Last edited:
bios and driver updates. you are 10 versions behind
(one had a fix for m2 ssd)
GA-A320M-S2H (rev. 1.x) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global
===========
here is the problem: windows compresses data in memory, then at some time the compressed data is written to disk in pagefile.sys later windows needs the data and will un-compress it. When it does this it is getting a crc error which indicates the data is corrupted so it calls a bugcheck.

so you have to delete the current pagefile.sys and create a new one. You do this by turning off virtual memory, rebooting and turning it back on.

This will dump the saved corruptions already stored in the pagefile.sys but now you have to find out why the data was corrupted in the first place.
Since all of the bugcheck involved reading from disk you should suspect the storage driver or the drive itself. This means you would want to update the CPU chipset driver, and extra storage drivers for your motherboard and any firmware for your actual drive. (make sure your bios is also updated since it sets up the electronics for your storage driver)

you might also run crystaldiskinfo.exe to read the health of the drive and check firmware versions. Normally you would only see a error like this on a older mechanical spinning drive but you can also see it caused by signal reflections in a bad cable connection.

describe what kind of storage is in the machine and maybe it can be a better clue to the source of the problem. It looks like corruption reading from the drive into system memory.
normally you would also run memtest86 to confirm your memory timings but it looks like you already did some testing.
the system up timer is pretty low, so I think your issue is corruption when the pagefile data is being saved. IE system loads a corrupted pagefile.sys and quickly bugchecks.

for intel based systems there was a known bug in the storage driver that would cause this on sleep cycles. Amd based system tend to not publish their bug lists so I just do not know.
===========
2: kd> !sysinfo machineid
Machine ID Information [From Smbios 3.2, DMIVersion 0, Size=2022]
BiosMajorRelease = 5
BiosMinorRelease = 14
BiosVendor = American Megatrends Inc.
BiosVersion = F32
BiosReleaseDate = 05/06/2019
SystemManufacturer = Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
SystemProductName = A320M-S2H
SystemFamily = Default string
SystemVersion = Default string
SystemSKU = Default string
BaseBoardManufacturer = Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoardProduct = A320M-S2H-CF
BaseBoardVersion = x.x

2: kd> !sysinfo cpuinfo
[CPU Information]
~MHz = REG_DWORD 3493
Component Information = REG_BINARY 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Configuration Data = REG_FULL_RESOURCE_DESCRIPTOR ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Identifier = REG_SZ AMD64 Family 23 Model 17 Stepping 0
ProcessorNameString = REG_SZ AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics
Update Status = REG_DWORD 3
VendorIdentifier = REG_SZ AuthenticAMD

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022
bios and driver updates. you are 10 versions behind
(one had a fix for m2 ssd)
GA-A320M-S2H (rev. 1.x) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global
===========
here is the problem: windows compresses data in memory, then at some time the compressed data is written to disk in pagefile.sys later windows needs the data and will un-compress it. When it does this it is getting a crc error which indicates the data is corrupted so it calls a bugcheck.

so you have to delete the current pagefile.sys and create a new one. You do this by turning off virtual memory, rebooting and turning it back on.

This will dump the saved corruptions already stored in the pagefile.sys but now you have to find out why the data was corrupted in the first place.
Since all of the bugcheck involved reading from disk you should suspect the storage driver or the drive itself. This means you would want to update the CPU chipset driver, and extra storage drivers for your motherboard and any firmware for your actual drive. (make sure your bios is also updated since it sets up the electronics for your storage driver)

you might also run crystaldiskinfo.exe to read the health of the drive and check firmware versions. Normally you would only see a error like this on a older mechanical spinning drive but you can also see it caused by signal reflections in a bad cable connection.

describe what kind of storage is in the machine and maybe it can be a better clue to the source of the problem. It looks like corruption reading from the drive into system memory.
normally you would also run memtest86 to confirm your memory timings but it looks like you already did some testing.
the system up timer is pretty low, so I think your issue is corruption when the pagefile data is being saved. IE system loads a corrupted pagefile.sys and quickly bugchecks.

for intel based systems there was a known bug in the storage driver that would cause this on sleep cycles. Amd based system tend to not publish their bug lists so I just do not know.
===========
2: kd> !sysinfo machineid
Machine ID Information [From Smbios 3.2, DMIVersion 0, Size=2022]
BiosMajorRelease = 5
BiosMinorRelease = 14
BiosVendor = American Megatrends Inc.
BiosVersion = F32
BiosReleaseDate = 05/06/2019
SystemManufacturer = Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
SystemProductName = A320M-S2H
SystemFamily = Default string
SystemVersion = Default string
SystemSKU = Default string
BaseBoardManufacturer = Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoardProduct = A320M-S2H-CF
BaseBoardVersion = x.x

2: kd> !sysinfo cpuinfo
[CPU Information]
~MHz = REG_DWORD 3493
Component Information = REG_BINARY 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Configuration Data = REG_FULL_RESOURCE_DESCRIPTOR ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Identifier = REG_SZ AMD64 Family 23 Model 17 Stepping 0
ProcessorNameString = REG_SZ AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics
Update Status = REG_DWORD 3
VendorIdentifier = REG_SZ AuthenticAMD
Hello!, My Boot drive is a Samsung 120gb SSD and my storage drive is a Seagate Barracuda 500gb HHD. I've just done crystaldiskmark on both and the SSD is running at around 550mb/s read and write, while the HDD is running at read of 230mb/s and 221mb/s for write speed.

I just updated to the latest chipset drivers for my mobo, where can i find the storage drivers? Is it the SATA RAID/AHCLdrivers?

I used this site for the driver updates, https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-A320M-S2H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver-lan

EDIT I have now commenced gambling, if power dies, I’m losing money. I have now just started updating my BiOS to the latest one.
EDIT IT WORKED!

Also, I dont know if this is normal but my page file is at 8gb while set to "Let Windows Automatically Manage", it had a recommended size of around 1.1gb.

For turning off Virtual Memory are these the right steps?
  1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run window.
  2. Type CMD to open the command prompt.
  3. Copy and paste this command: fsutil behavior set encryptpagingfile 0.
  4. Once done, restart your PC to apply the changes made.

Last edited:
Hello!, My Boot drive is a Samsung 120gb SSD and my storage drive is a Seagate Barracuda 500gb HHD. I've just done crystaldiskmark on both and the SSD is running at around 550mb/s read and write, while the HDD is running at read of 230mb/s and 221mb/s for write speed.

I just updated to the latest chipset drivers for my mobo, where can i find the storage drivers? Is it the SATA RAID/AHCLdrivers?

I used this site for the driver updates, https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-A320M-S2H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver-lan

EDIT I have now commenced gambling, if power dies, I’m losing money. I have now just started updating my BiOS to the latest one.
EDIT IT WORKED!

Also, I dont know if this is normal but my page file is at 8gb while set to "Let Windows Automatically Manage", it had a recommended size of around 1.1gb.

For turning off Virtual Memory are these the right steps?
  1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run window.
  2. Type CMD to open the command prompt.
  3. Copy and paste this command: fsutil behavior set encryptpagingfile 0.
  4. Once done, restart your PC to apply the changes made.
the command you showed turns off encryption of the pagefile.sys. this could be a source of the corruption but you would still want to delete the pagefile.sys because you have to assume there are other corruptions saved in the file and you want to create a new one to get in a clean state.

if the pagefile.sys in on a ssd you want to make sure that the drive has plenty of free space on it. 10-20% and that the drive has time to run its firmware cleanup routines that start 5 minutes after the system goes idle and until the system sleeps.
Sometimes it can be helpful to boot into bios and leave the system powered on for a few hours so these routines can run.

follow this guide
but when you get to menu 9 select no page file.
How to increase Page File size or Virtual Memory in Windows 11/10 (thewindowsclub.com)
then reboot and go back into the same menu and set the page file to let windows manage it.

yes, you found the correct sata drivers.

crystaldiskinfo be sure to look at the drive health,
for the ssd look at the firmware version then google the ssd drive name + firmware update to see if it can be updated.
sometimes their will be a buglist/fix list for the firmware versions.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022
Both Drives say they are "Good" I found a tool called Kingston SSD Manager, which says no new firmware available, it also says my SSD is at 95% Health and 100% Blocks(?).

I just did what you asked about the Pagefile although it says total allocated for all drives is 8704mb, but when i clicked "change" it says "Recommended 1910mb"

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022
the command you showed turns off encryption of the pagefile.sys. this could be a source of the corruption but you would still want to delete the pagefile.sys because you have to assume there are other corruptions saved in the file and you want to create a new one to get in a clean state.

if the pagefile.sys in on a ssd you want to make sure that the drive has plenty of free space on it. 10-20% and that the drive has time to run its firmware cleanup routines that start 5 minutes after the system goes idle and until the system sleeps.
Sometimes it can be helpful to boot into bios and leave the system powered on for a few hours so these routines can run.

follow this guide
but when you get to menu 9 select no page file.
How to increase Page File size or Virtual Memory in Windows 11/10 (thewindowsclub.com)
then reboot and go back into the same menu and set the page file to let windows manage it.

yes, you found the correct sata drivers.

crystaldiskinfo be sure to look at the drive health,
for the ssd look at the firmware version then google the ssd drive name + firmware update to see if it can be updated.
sometimes their will be a buglist/fix list for the firmware versions.
There seems to be no difference, i still get crashes when playing games. My pagefile is on an HDD if i read it correctly.

Jul 2, 2022
Memory management error seems to be happening when i play a high intensity game, or a game that uses up a lot of pc power, GTA 5 is almost unplayable after 3 minutes due to a blue screen occurring, It also sometimes happens when i use the pc for the entire day, usually at the end of the day a BSOD would happen, and this could be while browsing google chrome while also being in discord.

I've done these to try and fix it:
  1. Memtest HCL shows no problems
  2. Sfc /scannow shows no problems
  3. Chkdsk shows no problems on all 3 drives
  4. Several memory benchmarks (No errors detected, nor did any BSODs occur)
  5. Updated BIOS to the latest version, which is f55 for my mobo, while also updating some other drivers on the manufacturers site, aside from the audio drivers, as those usually mess up my audio settings when i download them.
  6. Reseated ram (turns out DDR4_2 should be the first slot to be populated who knew that was a thing)
  7. Cleaned up the pc from 3 years of dust aswell, replaced thermal paste and cleaned up the fan.
SPECS
Minidumps
https://www41.zippyshare.com/v/3qrHJlwX/file.html
https://www41.zippyshare.com/v/qykBpQPM/file.html
https://www41.zippyshare.com/v/ZsE7Nzpb/file.html
https://www41.zippyshare.com/v/VQCq7DAq/file.html
https://www41.zippyshare.com/v/pOma28pP/file.html

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Ryzen 3 2000g
You mean Ryzen 3 2200G...?

If the PSU is 3 years old at this point, might want to source(from a neighbor or friend, not buy) a reliably built donor PSU with at least 650W of power at the entire system's disposal and see if the issue persists.

Gigabyte A320m first revision
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/All-Series?fid=2648,2691
Gigabyte have a number of A320 chipset boards, a portion of which are matx form factor, which one do you have?

Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Jul 2, 2022
Ryzen 3 2000g

If the PSU is 3 years old at this point, might want to source(from a neighbor or friend, not buy) a reliably built donor PSU with at least 650W of power at the entire system's disposal and see if the issue persists.

Gigabyte have a number of A320 chipset boards, a portion of which are matx form factor, which one do you have?

Oops sorry about the mistype Ryzen 3 2200g
Regarding the psu, ive already asked around and none of my friends have a spare PSU, and i don't have any neighbors aside from my relatives who dont have desktops (i live in a semi industrial area)

The mobo is GA-A320M-S2H (rev. 1.x) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

The installer of my OS is from where i had my PC built, the shop was where my dad bought his first pc years ago and my pc.

Now that i think about it, could an AVR be a problem? the AVR is almost as old as the PC case at this point and has seen its fair share of power outtages across the years i and previously my dad had it.

https://media.karousell.com/media/photos/products/2019/06/19/avr_1560940062_1e0c00c8_progressive.jpg

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You can source the installer for your OS off of Microsoft's site, using Windows Media Creation Tools. Much of the issues with BSoD's come from a corrupt installer or using the wrong drivers, or letting the OS source drivers it thinks is right. The latter part is where we advise people to manually install all relevant drivers for your platform, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

I pointed towards the PSU since the issue stems from being taxed during a game, which demands more from your platform(namely GPU).

+
Updated BIOS to the latest version, which is f54 for my mobo,

You have the dreaded A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.5. Flash your BIOS to F55, see if the issue persists.

Jul 2, 2022
You can source the installer for your OS off of Microsoft's site, using Windows Media Creation Tools. Much of the issues with BSoD's come from a corrupt installer or using the wrong drivers, or letting the OS source drivers it thinks is right. The latter part is where we advise people to manually install all relevant drivers for your platform, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

I pointed towards the PSU since the issue stems from being taxed during a game, which demands more from your platform(namely GPU).

+
Updated BIOS to the latest version, which is f54 for my mobo,

You have the dreaded A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.5. Flash your BIOS to F55, see if the issue persists.
What am i supposed to do with the Windows Media CreationTools?When i first got the pc it was fine, how can i find out if its from a wrong driver?

Made a mistake with the bios version, its at F55b

What is "A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.5 "?

I also found out that i have a very OLD AVR my PSU and Monitor hooked up into. Its almost half a decade old i think, and has seen plenty of blackouts and brownouts from my dads pc. https://media.karousell.com/media/photos/products/2019/06/19/avr_1560940062_1e0c00c8_progressive.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022
Ryzen 3 2000g

My AVR is from a cheap company apparently, CDR King, it also has my monitor and 2 other plugs plugged into it, the thing is i dont know how much wattage or voltage this avr has, its legit just a plastic box from my perspective.

TRENDING THREADS