[SOLVED] Memory not running at 3200mhz?

quakebo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
I have 4 sticks of Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 Dual Channel Memory Kit (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 ) and it seems to be running at 2133mhz and not 3200mhz.

So how do I get it to run at 3200mhz?

My specs are
MSI b550 mpg gaming plus with bios version 7C56v16
AMD Ryzen 5800x
Corsair rm850x psu

Solution
Both kits are identical everything matches.
Not quite. Only the matching sticks are anywhere close to identical. The specs don't tell the story. The chiplets that make up that ram are made from different sheets of silicon, which has differing amounts of impurities, and those impurities strongly affect the Secondary and Tertiary timings (that's the 40+ numbers you don't normally see).

For instance if the silicon in one stick has a high degree of carbon, it might not play well if at all with a stick that has a high degree of copper. But may work perfectly with a stick that has s high degree of lead.

This is why most insist on 1 kit for all ram needs, the sticks will be from the same batch, almost always sequential serial...

quakebo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
Stupid question: you sure you click the "save" button after doing the changes in Bios ?
Yep I clicked save. Also tried manually setting it in the bios to these settings.
DRAMM Frequency ddr4-3200
Adjusted dram Frequency 3200mhz
FCLK Frequency 1600mhz
UCLK div1 mode uclk==memclk

But all I get is memory overclocking failed.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Both kits are identical everything matches.
Not quite. Only the matching sticks are anywhere close to identical. The specs don't tell the story. The chiplets that make up that ram are made from different sheets of silicon, which has differing amounts of impurities, and those impurities strongly affect the Secondary and Tertiary timings (that's the 40+ numbers you don't normally see).

For instance if the silicon in one stick has a high degree of carbon, it might not play well if at all with a stick that has a high degree of copper. But may work perfectly with a stick that has s high degree of lead.

This is why most insist on 1 kit for all ram needs, the sticks will be from the same batch, almost always sequential serial manufacture numbers, or very close, to give the silicon the greatest chance of compatibility

Solution

quakebo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
with 2 kit. try up the volt a bit
I know the recommended voltage is 1.35v but how much more than that can I go and not fry my ram. Also for manual timings this is the options I have command rate, tcl, trcdrd, trcdwr, trp, tras. Now the Latency timings for my ram are 16-18-18-36 which is only 4 digits so what extra digit do I need to put in.

Last edited: