Question Memory overclock fails after reseating DDR RAM ?

aliesfehani

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2013
My PC has the following spec:
  • Motherboard: PRO Z690-P DDR4 (MS-7D36)
  • CPU: Intel Core-i5 12600KF
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 (16GB 16-18-18-36 3200MHz)
  • GPU: MSI Geforce RTX 3070Ti
  • Corsair 750W power
I also use XMP profile for 3200MHz ram overclock.

Here is what happened in as much detail as I can provide:

I wanted to get some tests on my old Geforce GTX 980Ti (Asus Matrix Platinum) so I turned my PC off (I don't think I switched the power button on the back), pulled my 3070ti out of the PCIe slot and put the 980Ti in instead. Then I booted up the system and after several restarts it didn't show anything on the display. So I turned it off by holding the power button and then turned it back on again. After doing this 3 times I then pulled out the power cord and reseated the GPU. Then I turned it on and it went to Memory overclock failed! screen. Then I turned it off and pulled out my DDR Ram from A2 and put it in the third slot (B1). Then I turned it on again and Memory overclock failed again. Then I restored UEFI settings to default and rebooted and everything worked.

After the tests I wanted to put the system back to how it was before so I put the RAM to A2 slot again and also put the 3070Ti back in place. But to my surprise I couldn't enable the XMP profile without running to the Memory overclock failed! message. So I thought it may be a false UEFI config saved from previous attempts keeping the system from booting so I made the JBAT1 pins touch and also pulled out the CMOS battery for five minutes and held the power button too (all while the power cord was out). I also updated the UEFI version to the latest.
So at this point I was sure the UEFI configs (at least as much that you can physically clear) where cleared. But I still ran to Memory overclock failed! when using the XMP Profile 1. (It takes a while until the message is shown indicating that the system is actually trying to boot with the OC profile and is failing. Also the DRAM EZ debugger LED is orange at this time).

Currently I have managed to boot the system by changing the tCL to 17 from 16 but I just can't get over the fact that my system can't boot with the same configs as it was before when technically nothing has changed. Additional to above I've also tried taking out the RAM and GPU and blowing on them to clear dust and putting the RAM in B2 slot instead of A2.
My biggest suspicion is that when the system was failing to boot when I was trying to boot with the 980Ti, some config was saved in the UEFI, preventing the system from booting in any further attempts with the exact same memory configs (XMP Profile 1 default configs).
Any insights on what could've cause this and any solutions?

Many thanks,
Ali

Last edited:
My PC has the following spec:
  • Motherboard: PRO Z690-P DDR4 (MS-7D36)
  • CPU: Intel Core-i5 12600KF
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 (16GB 16-18-18-36 3200MHz)
  • GPU: MSI Geforce RTX 3070Ti
  • Corsair 750W power
I also use XMP profile for 3200MHz ram overclock.
Here is what happened in as much detail as I can provide:
I wanted to get some tests on my old Geforce GTX 980Ti (Asus Matrix Platinum) so I turned my PC off (I don't think I switched the power button on the back), pulled my 3070ti out of the PCIe slot and put the 980Ti in instead. Then I booted up the system and after several restarts it didn't show anything on the display. So I turned it off by holding the power button and then turned it back on again. After doing this 3 times I then pulled out the power cord and reseated the GPU. Then I turned it on and it went to Memory overclock failed! screen. Then I turned it off and pulled out my DDR Ram from A2 and put it in the third slot (B1). Then I turned it on again and Memory overclock failed again. Then I restored UEFI settings to default and rebooted and everything worked.
After the tests I wanted to put the system back to how it was before so I put the RAM to A2 slot again and also put the 3070Ti back in place. But to my surprise I couldn't enable the XMP profile without running to the Memory overclock failed! message. So I thought it may be a false UEFI config saved from previous attempts keeping the system from booting so I made the JBAT1 pins touch and also pulled out the CMOS battery for five minutes and held the power button too (all while the power cord was out). I also updated the UEFI version to the latest.
So at this point I was sure the UEFI configs (at least as much that you can physically clear) where cleared. But I still ran to Memory overclock failed! when using the XMP Profile 1. (It takes a while until the message is shown indicating that the system is actually trying to boot with the OC profile and is failing. Also the DRAM EZ debugger LED is orange at this time).
Currently I have managed to boot the system by changing the tCL to 17 from 16 but I just can't get over the fact that my system can't boot with the same configs as it was before when technically nothing has changed. Additional to above I've also tried taking out the RAM and GPU and blowing on them to clear dust and putting the RAM in B2 slot instead of A2.
My biggest suspicion is that when the system was failing to boot when I was trying to boot with the 980Ti, some config was saved in the UEFI, preventing the system from booting in any further attempts with the exact same memory configs (XMP Profile 1 default configs).
Any insights on what could've cause this and any solutions?

Many thanks,
Ali
Have you tried to update the mobo bios to the latest?