Question Memory problem leading to BSOD?

minstermineman

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Hi all - a quick query, my pc is home built, spec's below

Motherboard B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02) (AM4)
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM Crucial 32 GB (2 x 16) DDR4 3600 RAM
Graphics 4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
SDD (C drive) Western Digital 1 TB M.2
Storage 4 x WD 4GB set up as Windows Myspace.
Windows 11

Recently, but not at any set time or after doing anything specific, my pc freezes, a loud stuttering buzz is emitted, then it goes to a BSOD and shuts down after submitting a report to Microsoft.

I have no idea what this report may be.

Not being the worlds best at fault finding, the best I came up with was maybe one of my memory sticks may have gone bad - as I came across this as shown in the screenshot image

Screenshot-2022-05-08-091102.jpg

Does this indicate a bad memory stick - or am I reading it wrongly? I am assuming that the 4 columns should read the same - but the right hand one says xmp
(most likely me reading it wrongly as I have no idea what xmp means)

I have no problem with swapping out to a different set - or a different mobo - or anything else if necessary.

WildCard999

Titan
XMP sets the memory to run at the correct speed, timing and voltage, doubt its the culprit but you could go into the BIOS and disable it and see if the BSOD's stop.

Any recent changes in hardware?

Was the memory bought as a kit or sold separately?

PSU make/model & length of ownership?

The noise would make me suspect a hardware issue but if you answer the above questions we can try to narrow it down.

minstermineman

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Hi again guys,

Thanks for the replies so far.

I did a windows memory test on the ram after looking it up - and it checked out ok.

So - next I tried taking out one at a time, and everything worked as it should.

I then tried taking out and putting back in everything on the mobo that was user removable except for the cpu,

I think I discovered the culprit, the slot holding my GPU - one of the 'legs' soldered to the board is broken, probably due to the weight?
The pc has had a house move, so that maybe did not help.

I can only think that occasionally when things warm up or fans come on and cool things - the crack may open enough to make things go wrong.

So - I think it may be new motherboard time! - well - I cant continue to use the Tomahawk one as it is. (on a laptop now)

I think I might look at an X570 of some sort - then it should see me through the life of the rest of this machine, as other parts may be upgraded soon.

The Tomahawk is very limited now in whats on the back regarding usb ports, and I quite fancy upgrading my .M2 ssd.

Any suggestions on boards to look at or avoid? It is going into a full tower case - ATX with a Corsair 650w psu