Memory question

Hi all,

Got an Asrock k7s8x mobo which has 3 ram slot's, I've got 2 stick's of 128mb
pc2100 both the same brand and also 1 stick of 512mb pc2100(IBM brand),
what's the best way to position these?, first slot the 512 then both the
128's, does it matter?.

TIA

Ellis

Rap wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Got an Asrock k7s8x mobo which has 3 ram slot's, I've got 2 stick's of 128mb
> pc2100 both the same brand and also 1 stick of 512mb pc2100(IBM brand),
> what's the best way to position these?, first slot the 512 then both the
> 128's, does it matter?.

Doesn't matter. But since you're mixing and matching, be sure to test
your memory thoroughly.
http://www.memtest.org

-WD

Thank's, I've got that mem test on a bootable cd, i'll run the test now!!.

Ellis

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Rap wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Got an Asrock k7s8x mobo which has 3 ram slot's, I've got 2 stick's of
128mb
> > pc2100 both the same brand and also 1 stick of 512mb pc2100(IBM brand),
> > what's the best way to position these?, first slot the 512 then both the
> > 128's, does it matter?.
>

> Doesn't matter. But since you're mixing and matching, be sure to test
> your memory thoroughly.
> http://www.memtest.org
>

> -WD

ah heck, 11 error's how come??.

"Rap" <ABC@123.COM> wrote in message
> Thank's, I've got that mem test on a bootable cd, i'll run the test now!!.
>

> Ellis
>
> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > Rap wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Got an Asrock k7s8x mobo which has 3 ram slot's, I've got 2 stick's of
> 128mb
> > > pc2100 both the same brand and also 1 stick of 512mb pc2100(IBM
brand),
> > > what's the best way to position these?, first slot the 512 then both
the
> > > 128's, does it matter?.
> >

> > Doesn't matter. But since you're mixing and matching, be sure to test
> > your memory thoroughly.
> > http://www.memtest.org
> >

> > -WD

graham

Try a slower CAS latency - in the memory timing BIOS screen change the
memory settings to manual instead of 'by SPD' and set the CAS to 2.5 if it's
on 2 for example. You could try generally slacker memory timings. Also
whilst there you could set bank interleave to 4-way for better performance.
Warning - if try faster memory timings than your RAM can cope with you could
end up with a non-booting PC (but resetting the BIOS will get you out of it)
Graham
> ah heck, 11 error's how come??.
>

> "Rap" <ABC@123.COM> wrote in message
> > Thank's, I've got that mem test on a bootable cd, i'll run the test
now!!.

> > Ellis
> >
> > "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message

> > 128mb
> brand),
> the
> > >

> > > Doesn't matter. But since you're mixing and matching, be sure to
test
> > > your memory thoroughly.
> > > http://www.memtest.org
> > >

> > > -WD

Thank's for the help Graham, I put the 512 stick in the first slot then
followed by the 2 128's and it came up with no more error's, weried aye.