[SOLVED] Memory QVL question.

Joel89

Prominent
May 2, 2020
I have a set of Patriot 32gb 1866mhz 10-11-10-30 ddr3. It's 4x8gb. Is there a way to find compatible motherboards? I know if I look at a motherboards QVL I can see compatible memory but just wondering if any one knows how to look it up backwards I guess. If you do happen to know which mobos are compatible it also has to be am3+. I have an fx8350. I looked at an asus 970 mobo and it's only compatible with this ram x16gb at 1600mhz. I'm sure asus doesnt check all the ram sticks in the world but if anyone can shed some light or point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

Solution
I think my issue may be my psu. I just did an online calculator thing and it basically says that im running right at the threshold of my psu. 450w 80+ bronze. Says im running about 430ish.
I don't think power is your problem. If you suspect power is the issue, pull your gpu and run with the igpu. If the system starts behaving, power supply might help. If there's not difference, power isn't the issue.

You also have to understand that at 8gb x4 udimms, you're right up against the very edge of what ddr3 can do without ecc or being buffered (registered). This is why all the servers out there that can easily hit 128GB of ddr3 ram are all ecc registered, and an 8gb modules is actually small as they can go as big as a 32gb 4Rx4...
I have a set of Patriot 32gb 1866mhz 10-11-10-30 ddr3. It's 4x8gb. Is there a way to find compatible motherboards? I know if I look at a motherboards QVL I can see compatible memory but just wondering if any one knows how to look it up backwards I guess. If you do happen to know which mobos are compatible it also has to be am3+. I have an fx8350. I looked at an asus 970 mobo and it's only compatible with this ram x16gb at 1600mhz. I'm sure asus doesnt check all the ram sticks in the world but if anyone can shed some light or point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.
Any MB with DDR3 should be compatible. If BIOS is limiting it to 1600MHz that's frequency it will run possibly with lower latency and that would make it just as fast.

Reactions: SamirD and Joel89

Joel89

Prominent
May 2, 2020
Any MB with DDR3 should be compatible. If BIOS is limiting it to 1600MHz that's frequency it will run possibly with lower latency and that would make it just as fast.
I forgot to mention the board I have right now is the AsRock 970M Pro3. Which supports up to 64gb ram at up to 2400mhz. With all 32gb plugged into this board my pc crashes and/or freezes up causing me to hard shut down.

Reactions: SamirD

Joel89

Prominent
May 2, 2020
With all 4 slots populated it will be difficult to attain full memory frequency, start small like 1333MHz
I would think given all the info I have shared that even with all 4 of these sticks that my it would only be about halfway of the mother boards capacity. Even with 16gb of it my pc has issues just not as frequently. I have some bios setting that I had to enable to even allow the pc to run 1866mhz. Is there a way I can run it like its 1600mhz? My end goal is to have a motherboard with an am3+ socked that can manage to run 32gb of 1866mhz. All the motherboards I have looked at say 64gb or more at max including mine yet here I am asking questions about it.

I would think given all the info I have shared that even with all 4 of these sticks that my it would only be about halfway of the mother boards capacity. Even with 16gb of it my pc has issues just not as frequently. I have some bios setting that I had to enable to even allow the pc to run 1866mhz. Is there a way I can run it like its 1600mhz? My end goal is to have a motherboard with an am3+ socked that can manage to run 32gb of 1866mhz. All the motherboards I have looked at say 64gb or more at max including mine yet here I am asking questions about it.
That CPU has two memory channels and when both channels are taken it pits strain on internal memory controller making it less likely to work full speed regardless of capacity. You could have 4x1GB and still have same problem.

Reactions: SamirD and Joel89

Joel89

Prominent
May 2, 2020
That CPU has two memory channels and when both channels are taken it pits strain on internal memory controller making it less likely to work full speed regardless of capacity. You could have 4x1GB and still have same problem.
I think my issue may be my psu. I just did an online calculator thing and it basically says that im running right at the threshold of my psu. 450w 80+ bronze. Says im running about 430ish.

Joel89

Prominent
May 2, 2020
What are full specs of your system?

I wouldn't put more money into AM3 system. Either migrate to Intel core 4th gen (to keep ram) or build a new Ryzen system.
I have to stick with what I can afford unfortunately. I'm going to try the power supply upgrade and if that doesn't work then I'll have to save up for a Ryzen board and cpu. Either way the 450w psu needs to be upgraded.

I don't think power is your problem. If you suspect power is the issue, pull your gpu and run with the igpu. If the system starts behaving, power supply might help. If there's not difference, power isn't the issue.

You also have to understand that at 8gb x4 udimms, you're right up against the very edge of what ddr3 can do without ecc or being buffered (registered). This is why all the servers out there that can easily hit 128GB of ddr3 ram are all ecc registered, and an 8gb modules is actually small as they can go as big as a 32gb 4Rx4 PC3-xxxxxR. And when you're this close to the edge, motherboard design and manufacturing, all the traces, connectors, everything needs to be nearly perfect to attain what you want--especially the memory modules. If they're not on the qvl, they probably won't work.

Reactions: Joel89
Solution

Joel89

Prominent
May 2, 2020

You also have to understand that at 8gb x4 udimms, you're right up against the very edge of what ddr3 can do without ecc or being buffered (registered). This is why all the servers out there that can easily hit 128GB of ddr3 ram are all ecc registered, and an 8gb modules is actually small as they can go as big as a 32gb 4Rx4 PC3-xxxxxR. And when you're this close to the edge, motherboard design and manufacturing, all the traces, connectors, everything needs to be nearly perfect to attain what you want--especially the memory modules. If they're not on the qvl, they probably won't work.
I don't have internal graphics on the motherboard. Also my motherboard is capped at 64gbs of ram. If motherboards are meant to have that much ram then why are they not tested with that much ram? Most QVL's show 1-4gb ram compatibility and very few 8gb options. Getting even 16gb x2 or x4 has a ridiculously low probability.

Joel89

Prominent
May 2, 2020
I don't have internal graphics on the motherboard. Also my motherboard is capped at 64gbs of ram. If motherboards are meant to have that much ram then why are they not tested with that much ram? Most QVL's show 1-4gb ram compatibility and very few 8gb options. Getting even 16gb x2 or x4 has a ridiculously low probability.
Also I forgot to mention that with 2 of the 8gb sticks in my pc seems to run fine until I launch a game. If I had all 4 of them in it would cause my pc to restart even launching movie. And with 4 sticks my power consumption is pretty high. Maybe more than my psu can handle