Memory Set-up 1:1 ratio with Phenom II

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Well, here it goes....the 1:1 ram ratio question. I've been getting info from left and right :pt1cable: about this issue but it seems that there are lots of perspectives out there regarding what's the best memory ratio setting, but those are mostly in relation to Intel CPUs, but I have a Phenom II 940 and I'd really like to get to the bottom of what's best for my set-up. I'm using 2x2gb G.skill DDR2-1000 ram, and right now I have it set up at 1:1 ratio, with the FSB set to 250. All feedback is appreciated.

Solution
There really isn't any FSB or 1:1 ratio to speak of with Phenoms. Run it as fast as you can (within reasonable voltages) and call it good.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Well that's what I'm trying to get settled, at least to my satisfaction. It all depends on whose opinion you get, but I would assume that there would be a clear answer to this since we're not talking about anything magical... The theory is that when you run 1:1, you're "synchronizing" the ram with the CPU, so the ram doesn't have to "wait" for the CPU to fetch the data from it (this is a very basic way of describing it). Not sure what cjl meant by there's isn't any FSB or 1:1 to speak of with Phenoms as there is the option to set both the FSB and the ratio - so what's the optimal setting?