[SOLVED] Memory Slots Giving BSOD

Oct 22, 2021
Hello Guys, i'm new here, but today went all day trying to make this memory to work, but no success.

i must say i don't use this machine everyday cause i took it to a vacation house and use it during a week or two each month so i may forget exact information of events.

So lets start with a little old problem, this PC is very old with a MOBO asus P8H67-V and since like 7ish years ago it had some problem with it so 'ill numkber it so possibly that makes the reading easier
1 -> some game the screen just went black with a sound like a pendrive taking off. The sound of the game continued but not the video, so i had to reboot and could see the "A video driver stoped working and couln't recover" just in some more demanding games that would happen.
2 -> The memory sticks was a torture to work, i would take out and put ir back in a thousand times so it would get to work, even put 1 memory stick try if it would turn on, then put the other, a rly hard fight.
Now lets get to the recent problems. just had a thunder storm that burned the internet entry, i bought this Rj45 USB blue adapter and ok the speed woul'nt get high of the internet but no problem with BSOD.
the bought a Logitech adapter and now had a full internet use all was good and fine, for a good time it all was working fine, till one random day the PC just went BSOD playing Rainbow Six.

and now the fight, i thought the HD had gone bad, i did a full test with HD Tune and showed a lot of bad blocks, so i went and got a new HD, but to my happiness didn't work still got BSOD, so i did the Memtest86 and showed that one of my memorys (a Kingston 4Gb, 1333Mhz was so bad that the test coulndn't even end and got canceled and the other memory (Markvision 4Gb, 1333Mhz got like 2 errors, so i just took out the bad memory and voila problem solved. must sat i used these memorys together for over 7 Years with no "problems" in general.

But use a computer to play games with only 4Gb it's hard, so i tried to make the Kingston memory work.
I have 4 Memory slot in my Mobo A1,A2,B1,B2, my Markvision that works normally is sticked on B2 so i tried to put the memory on every slot and here comes the mystery (sorry for the long text)
When i put the memory on A1, the PC would start normally and i can go to the internet and all but then out of nowhere BSOD.
When i put the same memory on A2 it would give me BSOD right before the windows would boot in, when this happens it even corrupts the windows and i have to put the pendrive to format and all from zero.
When i put the same memory on B1 it would not even work, my MEMOK button would stay on like it didn't boot.
so i went and bought a new 4 Gb kingston, 1333Mhz memory stick and thought it would work like a charm just sticking it in.
But it gave me the same BSOD i had before, so i made all the memory dance i can think of, when i stick any of the memorys on B2 alone it works normally.
When i try any of the 3 memory on A1,A2 and B1 it gives me the same BSOD condition i mentioned. And there is more, when i only put 1 memory on B1 it works normally, all 3 memorys in that case.
so after all that i can resume is all 3 memorys works fine alone on Slot B1 or B2
B1 and B2 don't work together no matter what memory duos i put, and slot A1 and A2 are just BSOD in some way or another.

i can think that the mobo is the problem but after i bought 2 components that wasn't the problem i just wanna cry.

I already tried, cleaning the memory slots and the cpu slot, clean the memory sticks, dance with them all around and cry.

Right now i have a full normal working computer but only with the new memory stick i bought of 4Gb.

My PC Specs are
Mobo - Asus P8h67-V with the last BIOS (from like 2017 somewhere old there)
Video Card - GTX 970
Power Supply - a Cougar 500W Bronze
CPU - Intel I3-3220
Memorys - Kingston 4Gb, 1333Mhz, Kingston 4Gb, 1333Mhz , Markvision 4Gb, 1333Mhz

Solution
Who knows what is fried in that system, thanks to the thunder storm. It's old, I would get a cheap new system. Like 600-800 dollars, keep the GPU. GPU is most likely going to be the bottleneck, especially with its 3.5 gig of Vram. But trying to get a decent GPU in the current market...maybe if you can find a shop that sells it at MSRP and you can queue for it. PSU needs to be replaced with a 750-850 watt one. Get a good one, doesn't matter what brand it is, as long as it is good. Research PSUs, check Tier Lists. Linus Tech Tips should have one on their forums for example.
GPUs and CPUs are getting more and more power hungry. I don't see that stopping, especially when GPUs will have 2 cores in the future, next year. A PSU should last you...
Hello Guys, i'm new here, but today went all day trying to make this memory to work, but no success.

i must say i don't use this machine everyday cause i took it to a vacation house and use it during a week or two each month so i may forget exact information of events.

So lets start with a little old problem, this PC is very old with a MOBO asus P8H67-V and since like 7ish years ago it had some problem with it so 'ill numkber it so possibly that makes the reading easier
1 -> some game the screen just went black with a sound like a pendrive taking off. The sound of the game continued but not the video, so i had to reboot and could see the "A video driver stoped working and couln't recover" just in some more demanding games that would happen.
2 -> The memory sticks was a torture to work, i would take out and put ir back in a thousand times so it would get to work, even put 1 memory stick try if it would turn on, then put the other, a rly hard fight.
Now lets get to the recent problems. just had a thunder storm that burned the internet entry, i bought this Rj45 USB blue adapter and ok the speed woul'nt get high of the internet but no problem with BSOD.
the bought a Logitech adapter and now had a full internet use all was good and fine, for a good time it all was working fine, till one random day the PC just went BSOD playing Rainbow Six.

and now the fight, i thought the HD had gone bad, i did a full test with HD Tune and showed a lot of bad blocks, so i went and got a new HD, but to my happiness didn't work still got BSOD, so i did the Memtest86 and showed that one of my memorys (a Kingston 4Gb, 1333Mhz was so bad that the test coulndn't even end and got canceled and the other memory (Markvision 4Gb, 1333Mhz got like 2 errors, so i just took out the bad memory and voila problem solved. must sat i used these memorys together for over 7 Years with no "problems" in general.

But use a computer to play games with only 4Gb it's hard, so i tried to make the Kingston memory work.
I have 4 Memory slot in my Mobo A1,A2,B1,B2, my Markvision that works normally is sticked on B2 so i tried to put the memory on every slot and here comes the mystery (sorry for the long text)
When i put the memory on A1, the PC would start normally and i can go to the internet and all but then out of nowhere BSOD.
When i put the same memory on A2 it would give me BSOD right before the windows would boot in, when this happens it even corrupts the windows and i have to put the pendrive to format and all from zero.
When i put the same memory on B1 it would not even work, my MEMOK button would stay on like it didn't boot.
so i went and bought a new 4 Gb kingston, 1333Mhz memory stick and thought it would work like a charm just sticking it in.
But it gave me the same BSOD i had before, so i made all the memory dance i can think of, when i stick any of the memorys on B2 alone it works normally.
When i try any of the 3 memory on A1,A2 and B1 it gives me the same BSOD condition i mentioned. And there is more, when i only put 1 memory on B1 it works normally, all 3 memorys in that case.
so after all that i can resume is all 3 memorys works fine alone on Slot B1 or B2
B1 and B2 don't work together no matter what memory duos i put, and slot A1 and A2 are just BSOD in some way or another.

i can think that the mobo is the problem but after i bought 2 components that wasn't the problem i just wanna cry.

I already tried, cleaning the memory slots and the cpu slot, clean the memory sticks, dance with them all around and cry.

Right now i have a full normal working computer but only with the new memory stick i bought of 4Gb.

My PC Specs are
Mobo - Asus P8h67-V with the last BIOS (from like 2017 somewhere old there)
Video Card - GTX 970
Power Supply - a Cougar 500W Bronze
CPU - Intel I3-3220
Memorys - Kingston 4Gb, 1333Mhz, Kingston 4Gb, 1333Mhz , Markvision 4Gb, 1333Mhz
You might want to start with getting a kit of ram.....2 matched sticks.
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/p8h67-v

Fit the 2 sticks in the proper slots.....see the manual.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Who knows what is fried in that system, thanks to the thunder storm. It's old, I would get a cheap new system. Like 600-800 dollars, keep the GPU. GPU is most likely going to be the bottleneck, especially with its 3.5 gig of Vram. But trying to get a decent GPU in the current market...maybe if you can find a shop that sells it at MSRP and you can queue for it. PSU needs to be replaced with a 750-850 watt one. Get a good one, doesn't matter what brand it is, as long as it is good. Research PSUs, check Tier Lists. Linus Tech Tips should have one on their forums for example.
GPUs and CPUs are getting more and more power hungry. I don't see that stopping, especially when GPUs will have 2 cores in the future, next year. A PSU should last you 10 years. So multiple system upgrades.

The alternative could be to buy an old system cheap. Something that is 3-5 years old and switch out components between your system and that system. And backup your files if there is anything important because a Windows reinstall is likely to be required. I would do it no matter what anyway. Start fresh.
And don't mix RAM.

Solution
Oct 22, 2021
You might want to start with getting a kit of ram.....2 matched sticks.
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/p8h67-v

Fit the 2 sticks in the proper slots.....see the manual.

But why my the issue would be compatibility of memorys if they worked fine for years, never showing a bluescreen or something that indicated that, it could be that with the new one sure. And that would mean that one of the two old ones got toasted, and the strange thing is that both works fine, getting me to think that the slot on the mobo that is dead. But then again, when i place the memorys on those slot the computer do get a screen, i can even access BIOS and check that 8Gb is there, but when windows starts to boot it's a BSOD on the booting screen or while i'm using it. Could a fried mobo slot act this way?

But why my the issue would be compatibility of memorys if they worked fine for years, never showing a bluescreen or something that indicated that, it could be that with the new one sure. And that would mean that one of the two old ones got toasted, and the strange thing is that both works fine, getting me to think that the slot on the mobo that is dead. But then again, when i place the memorys on those slot the computer do get a screen, i can even access BIOS and check that 8Gb is there, but when windows starts to boot it's a BSOD on the booting screen or while i'm using it. Could a fried mobo slot act this way?
It could be anything that's the purpose of getting a ram kit.
2 matched sticks that should play nice together.
Just to eliminate one possibility.

Nothing is truly perfect man, have you tried looking at event viewer to see what the real problem is ?
Sounds like a very bad driver crash or hardware issue like psu.

Oct 22, 2021
Hello Guys, i tested yesterday for about 6~7 hours navigating and playing a game and had no BSOD or any problem during the post seems like the Solution was.

my CPU had a strange pin, what i mean is he seems to have missed the little golden tip of it, so i cleared everything of course and took out the MOBO so i could work better in trying to put the pin back to the best normal position i could, when i tried that out the 2 memory slot worked, i must add that i didn't try to test all 3 MOBO slots to see if it was 100% i just put it on the B1 slot, that was the slot that worked alone and not together with B2, and it seems to be working fine.

i must add that i didn't poke on the CPU or anything from the beginning so don't know how that little part broke, i can think of a power surge but just a shot in the dark, anyway seems like CPU pin was the problem for memory slots going bad.

Thank You everybody that tried to help.