[SOLVED] Memory Speeds and CL with Ryzen 5000

tertmagert

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
Hello,

Im upgrading my platform with the 5900x at the heart of my build. I am curious about RAM speed and timings. I have read through a few articles commenting about the same things as the link below.

After reading I see that there is some 4000 speed RAM sets available but it seems like there is only one kit with CL16.
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374042?Item=N82E16820374042

Is this really the only kit and why does it say its optimized for Intel? Does that make any difference for Ryzen users?

Thanks for the help and insight from the TH Community.

Solution
Honestly, I would wait for the hardware to be reviewed in another week or so, and tested with different RAM kits before deciding on what sort of modules to go with.

At this point, it's anyone's guess. DDR4-4000 may very well be like DDR4-3800 was for the Ryzen 3000-series, which was able to run at those speeds with a 1:1 fabric clock on some Ryzen processors, but not on many, as it was pretty much right at the limits of what the processor could handle without halving the fabric clock and hurting performance in many usage scenarios.

There's also the question of whether the infinity fabric clock will even matter as much this time around. Perhaps it will on the 12 and 16-core models, where cores will still need to communicate between a...
Hello,

Im upgrading my platform with the 5900x at the heart of my build. I am curious about RAM speed and timings. I have read through a few articles commenting about the same things as the link below.

After reading I see that there is some 4000 speed RAM sets available but it seems like there is only one kit with CL16.
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374042?Item=N82E16820374042

Is this really the only kit and why does it say its optimized for Intel? Does that make any difference for Ryzen users?

Thanks for the help and insight from the TH Community.
No it won't affect your system in a negative way it will work fine infact 4000mhz would really help as the the infinity fabric depends on it and cl16 is really good as your latency will be less at that high speed which will really help. So you are good to go 👍

tertmagert

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
No it won't affect your system in a negative way it will work fine infact 4000mhz would really help as the the infinity fabric depends on it and cl16 is really good as your latency will be less at that high speed which will really help. So you are good to go 👍
So even though the ram specifically says that its intended for Intel platforms, I should still have zero issues running it on the new Ryzen platform?

Honestly, I would wait for the hardware to be reviewed in another week or so, and tested with different RAM kits before deciding on what sort of modules to go with.

At this point, it's anyone's guess. DDR4-4000 may very well be like DDR4-3800 was for the Ryzen 3000-series, which was able to run at those speeds with a 1:1 fabric clock on some Ryzen processors, but not on many, as it was pretty much right at the limits of what the processor could handle without halving the fabric clock and hurting performance in many usage scenarios.

There's also the question of whether the infinity fabric clock will even matter as much this time around. Perhaps it will on the 12 and 16-core models, where cores will still need to communicate between a pair of chiplets in some cases, but with all 8-cores on a chiplet combined in a single CCX, it might make less of a difference, especially on the lower core-count offerings.

As it is, I don't expect there to be too much of a performance difference between DDR4-3600 and higher speeds like 4000, but there will likely be a large difference in cost. It's likely that a DDR4-4000 kit like that probably won't increase CPU performance by more than a few percent in some applications over a 3600 kit at half the cost. Again, it's probably worth waiting to see what reviews have to say closer to release though.

Solution
Although some report the sweet spot at 4000MHz it will ultimately depend on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on the chip as to whether you can achieve the rated frequency or not.

As your CPU is rated to support 3200MHz you have OC RAM at 4000MHz so you will have to determine their SPD values and manually enter them in Bios. There is no guarantee you will achieve the rated frequency.

Ram selection should be made from the MB QVL to ensure they have been tested and known to work.

So even though the ram specifically says that its intended for Intel platforms, I should still have zero issues running it on the new Ryzen platform?
I did searched for ram in Newegg but many higher l highspeed ram had higher latency i applied filter for ryzen compatible ram but found none so yes i must reconsider as @cryoburner said waiting for reviews would be better. I did find a post you can read it once
View: https://amp.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8m7vay/intel_xmp_20_ready_with_ryzen/