Memory Timings-> No POST?

skzillz

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I already own corsair 2GB TWIN2X2048-6400 and purchased 2GB of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 from a friend to run with my existing pair, not realising his new sticks had a different timing rating from mine (4-4-4-12 vs 5-5-5-12). Placing both sets in my mobo (GA-MA69GM-S2H from gigabyte) the computer refuses to post but runs well with either pair onboard. Would their different timings prevent my system from booting? would forcing everything to run @ 5-5-5-18 using 1 pair and then inserting the second pair help the situation? Or should I just try to get 4GB of all similar memory?

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
besides timings there is also FBS, voltages, etc. running all of it at 5-5-5-12 *could* solve your problem but in most cases with ram if its not the same you can run into lots of compatibality issues. I would try changing all the timings so they are the same and maybe increasing the voltage by .1 but i would predict that you would have to buy 2 more gigs of the EXACT same stuff you have right now to get all 4 gigs to work properly. Good luck!

skzillz

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
OK thanks... i'm currently running the 4-4-4-12 pair in my pc @ 5-5-5-18 with no problems and i figured my mobo wouldve forced both to run at that speed automatically, but i guess i will have to keep looking for more RAM

reklis

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I've had the same setup with my computer. It ran well until recently i've been having hard drive issues lately. It ran well for about 6 months now and 2 of the higher timed ram failed to post when i tried testing them individually. The odd thing about this though is before i tried testing them individually the motherboard and vista read all the ram and they passed memtest86 diagnostic scans. So im still boggled on why they didn't go pass post if they're really faulty or if its something else. But im still having my hard drive issues.