john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Does anyone have a link which explains memory types?

Getting confused between DDR400/333/266 and PC3200, PC2700, PC2100 etc...

john wrote:
> Does anyone have a link which explains memory types?
>
> Getting confused between DDR400/333/266 and PC3200, PC2700, PC2100 etc...

DDR 400, 333, and 266 are the rated speeds of those DIMMs. It IS
confusing sometimes. DDR = double data rate, meaning those DIMMs
actually run at 200, 167, or 133 MHz, respectively, but are able to move
data twice per clock cycle (if the mobo/processor supports it that is).

PCxxxx is the burst data rate for that RAM per second. DDR400 RAM can
transfer 3200 bit/s.

Your motherboard should tell you which model you need. One of the DDR
speeds should match the rated bus speed of your mobo, or some multiple
of it.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> Your motherboard should tell you which model you need. One of the DDR
> speeds should match the rated bus speed of your mobo, or some multiple
> of it.

I am looking to buy mobo, cpu and RAM... but the cpu says buy PC3200,
PC2700, PC2100 and the mobo says buy DDR400/333/266... and the RAM is
labelled either pc3200 or DDR400 but none mention both at the same time...!

john wrote:
>>Your motherboard should tell you which model you need. One of the DDR
>>speeds should match the rated bus speed of your mobo, or some multiple
>>of it.
>
> I am looking to buy mobo, cpu and RAM... but the cpu says buy PC3200,
> PC2700, PC2100 and the mobo says buy DDR400/333/266... and the RAM is
> labelled either pc3200 or DDR400 but none mention both at the same time...!

Okay, the CPU and mobo are both right :)

PC3200 = DDR400
PC2700 = DDR333
PC2100 = DDR266

What CPU are you considering, and what speed is it running at? Can you
give me a link? You can likely buy any of those 3 RAM choices and it
will work, but let's try and narrow it down to the best choice.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I ended up with an athlon 64 3500+, 1gb corsair twinX DDR400, and a gigbyte
K8NXP-9 mobo, and gigbyte 6600gt video, and mirrored sata-II disks... now
if I can just get some spare time to put the buggers together and see if
they actually work... 8)