Memory upgrade causing BSOD

ilovecizzies

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I have an older laptop. It's a Gateway Solo 1450. I decided to upgrade from the 256mb that was in it to 1 gig of ram. I used a memory locator program, plus went to Gateway's site to tell me what kind of ram I need then I ordered it. I installed it, and it works, but it causes my laptop to crash (I get the BSOD). Thing is, sometimes it will crash 2 or 3 times, then work fine after that and I am able to use my laptop for several hours before another crash. After I installed it, I checked the 'my computer' properties and it showed 1 gig, so I know it recognizes it. Plus I could tell my laptop was running way faster than before.
After it crashes and reboots, my browser automatically opens to microsoft's error reporting site and it tells me:

"Microsoft is unable to determine the exact cause of this error. However, this problem was most likely caused by an error in your computer’s random access memory (RAM). RAM is the main internal storage area the computer uses to run programs and store data."

Then it tells me to update my BIOS. I have no plans to do this myself lol because I've heard it's risky.
But I have also been told by others that I might not need a BIOS update and it could be a voltage setting or speed setting that needs changed. See I don't know much about computer components (voltages, speeds whatnot). All I knew was the ram I bought matched the specs of the ram that was in my lappy. 144 pin pc133 Sodimm SDram.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
usually laptops from gateway dont give you access to the voltage settings

if you go into bios, see if there are any memory settings for speed and timings and try slowing them down

if not then updating the bios might be the only step left other than trying a different ram stick

this should be your bios

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=19170&dscr=Solo%201450%20BIOS,%20version%2036.01.00&uid=225237808

apparently you need a floppy disk formatted as a BOOT DISK with this file copied to it

if you re going to update the bios, take out the 1gb and put the 256 back in while you are updating, you dont want the computer crasihng while it is updating the bios and make sure comp is plugged into the power as well

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
btw on the specs page it says your computer has two mem slots and that it takes 1gb memory maximum.

did you put in 2x512mb?? or 1x1gb??

you may want to try 512 in slot and 256 in the other for testing, assuming you have two 512 sticks

ilovecizzies

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I think I figured out the problem. It was none of the above either. The slots for my ram are above and below, like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/myzerikay/message%20board%20junk/SSPX0914.jpg
The ram I ordered was a matched set, but I don't think it was meant to installed above and below like that. In order to install them both, the one for the top slot has to be flipped over, and the back side of it looks different than the front.
When I tried each 512 stick individually in the bottom slot, they both worked just fine. No crashing. But when put in the top, it crashes. The original 256 will work in the top though. So it looks like I will have to settle for 768mb right now.
Did that make sense? lol.