Question Memory usage by applications is limited after RAM upgrade

Jan 21, 2023
Hello everyone.

I recently upgraded my RAM from 32GB to 64GB and have had a major problem ever since. On the first start after replacing the memory, my computer tried to start several times to no avail. I reinstalled the modules and after several attempts, the bios finally started up with a message that its settings were reset. Everything seems to be working fine, but every time I run any program, its RAM usage is very limited. For example, the games I usually play are now limited to 4GB and when I wrote a simple program that consumes memory until it runs out, I caught an out-of-memory exception when using only 9GB of RAM with over 70% RAM still free.

I updated my GPU drivers, motherboard bios, got the latest windows update, checked all the performance settings and none of it worked. I rearranged the RAM modules in different combinations, and it did not help me. Also I installed the new Windows 10 on a different drive and that didn't help either.

I then placed these RAM modules in a completely different computer with a B550 chipset and an R7 5700x processor, but the RAM usage for gaming was still limited to 4 GB. When I installed the RAM that was there before (Kingston Fury 16GBx2 3200Mhz), games were also limited to using 4GB of RAM, which surprised me a lot since my PC had no issues with that RAM.

I have run Memtest86 and MdSched.exe on these modules and they show no memory errors.

Here are my specs:
Processor: RYZEN 9 3900XT, 12 cores, 24 threads
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX
BIOS version: F16E
GPU: RTX 3080 Ti
RAM: 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 CMK64GX4M2E3200C16

I would appreciate any help.

Jan 21, 2023
I usually run TW: Warhammer 3 as it's a very resource intensive game, but I've also experienced this issue in TW: Warhammer 2, Space Engineers and Avorion. The game works as usual for the first few minutes, then it starts to lag, freezes and finally crashes.

Here is a screenshot of the process from the resource monitor:
53F9fZK.jpg

Immediately after starting the game, the Hard faults/sec column showed almost 1500 errors, but then gradually decreased to 0.