Memory usage way too high Windows 10.

DeJansen

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Hi there,

As the title suggests, I have been having problem with the high amount of memory usage. When I start up my PC it is usually sitting at around 80/90% with pretty much nothing open. When I open up Chrome and have around 2-7 tabs open at a time (including YouTube) it sits at around 90-97%. I have had the PC for 2 years now and never had any problem like this. It definitely does affect the performance of the PC as for example I sometimes have to reload browser pages or the PC's performance is just really bad. This happens every time I restart the PC so it's not a one time issue either.

Pictures of the task manager:
https://gyazo.com/1ea08b3344180f69915db0cc072109af

https://gyazo.com/b88221ba51971711335e1b2263a9c3b3

System information:
Windows 10 Pro
8GB of Crucial Ballistix RAM (2x4)
Intel Pentium G3258 OC to 4.3 GHz
GTX 750ti

Any help would be much appreciated!

Solution
Try downloading and installing Piriform Ccleaner It is a handy program that can clean up your registry, disks, and has a few other tools that can help speed things up and also decrease your RAM use.

It has a tool that allows you to disable or delete what autostarts with Windows. I make a point of disabling programs that I don't use all of the time, things like Dropbox, iTunes, Google drive will autostart by default and use up some of your RAM. So either change the preferences within these programs so they don't start on boot up, or you can use the tool in Ccleaner to disable them from auto-starting. This will decrease your ram use.

If you use a lot of plugins/extensions with Google Chrome, this will use up additional RAM when...

Neur0nauT

Admirable
Try downloading and installing Piriform Ccleaner It is a handy program that can clean up your registry, disks, and has a few other tools that can help speed things up and also decrease your RAM use.

It has a tool that allows you to disable or delete what autostarts with Windows. I make a point of disabling programs that I don't use all of the time, things like Dropbox, iTunes, Google drive will autostart by default and use up some of your RAM. So either change the preferences within these programs so they don't start on boot up, or you can use the tool in Ccleaner to disable them from auto-starting. This will decrease your ram use.

If you use a lot of plugins/extensions with Google Chrome, this will use up additional RAM when chrome is running. Try using Firefox, and I have found it less resource hungry than Chrome.

Also run MalwareBytes Free to scan for any Malware that might be lingering on your system and eating RAM also.

Solution

DeJansen

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

Did everything you said and now it is 25% after just starting the PC and 50% while doing my routine. Haven't played any games as of yet but I assume that will be fine now as well :)

Thank you so much for your help!

DeJansen

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

Hi again,

I just came back from a week long holiday or something and I have the same issue, again. Very high memory usages and no program seems to use that much. Any ideas?
Also, when I came back my PC was on? I'm 100% certain I turned it off when I left a week ago. I might have accidentely touched the power button but that seems very unlikely. Could it be a virus taking control of my PC?

Thanks for reading,

Neur0nauT

Admirable

Hmmm, if your PC is switching on by itself, then that would suggest that it is not shutting down completely but going into hibernate or sleep mode. Or else you have ghosts.

Go into your bios and make sure you do not have wake on LAN enabled.

You can find out more here: Wake on LAN disable

Make sure your motherboard bios is up to date, there have been cases of known bugs that can cause a system to power on when keyboard or mouse is moved.

I would run several antivirus and antimalware programs also in case your system is infected. There is a slim possibility that it has been hijacked. You can get a bunch of different programs HERE