[SOLVED] memtest freezes after about 6gb regardless of ram config

mikejrdn

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
I'm troubleshooting a pc that wouldn't boot. When I run memtest from a linuxmint liveusb using failsafe mode it freezes on the first pass at 61% 33% or 21% (may have actually been 23%) with 1 2 or 3 8gb sticks of ram installed. I suspect something is wrong with the motherboard or cpu. This machine was also haing trouble outputting video. It would go back and forth between seemingly functioning and not producing a video signal. I tried a replacement gpu and using an alternate pcie slot and this didn't fix the problem but the problem was fixed when I swapped the ram around. This could just be luck though.

The fact that memtest freezes at the same point each time suggests that whatever the problem is is not random.
I would like to know what the issue is before replacing the motherboard/cpu.

cpu is amd fx 8350
motherboard is asrock brand
gpu was rtx 2060, currently quadro 2000
ram is generic 8gb 1600 udimm
hdd is generic 2tb

Last edited:
Solution
I tested the same liveusb memtest on a known working computer and it also got stuck part way through the first test. It seems the liveusb is the issue. The built in integrity check says the liveusb is fine so I am curious what's wrong with it.

mikejrdn

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
I tested the same liveusb memtest on a known working computer and it also got stuck part way through the first test. It seems the liveusb is the issue. The built in integrity check says the liveusb is fine so I am curious what's wrong with it.

Solution