Memtest is taking far too long

Alexitus

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
Hi, I recently built a new computer with all new parts, new chassi, etc with the exception of my 16 gb of RAM from my old computer and a Crosshair V Formula that had been sitting unused and unopened in my bookcase for a few years. However almost immediately I started getting repeated bluescreens, programs failing on startup and nothing was really working for me. Before I started building, my own computer had also been getting bluescreens with increased frequency but I thought it was just the 5-year old parts and the old windows installation taking its toll. So then I decided to run Memtest, which I had used before so I didn't think it would be much of an issue, but found that it looked completely different from what I remembered and is taking MUCH longer.

Specs are as follows

• ROG Crosshair V Formula motherboard
    ATI Radeon R9 390 Nitro 8GB video card
    AMD FX series FX-8370 4,0 GHz processor
    Corsair RM750X Gold Certificate 750W power supply
    16 GB RAM
    Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD

If your testing the whole 16GB together, Memtest will take quite while for each pass.

It'll get through each pass quicker if you test each stick of RAM separately (by removing all except one stick, test for four passes, then shut down, swap sticks over & repeat test until all have been tested).

Four passes is all that's required to reveal any errors.

Alexitus

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
That's what I've been doing, but it seems to always get stuck at the end of pass 2 where it just sits and spins at 91%. Last one I let sit for 8 hours without it finishing, so I'm seriously contemplating just going out and buying new RAM without actually seeing any errors

Hi

By memtest do you mean the one on windows dvd
Or memtest 86
Or memtest 86 plus
Or memtest 86.

Memtest 86 has most recent version and supports uefi bios with secure boot

Try reseting cmos then loading defaults in bios/uefi. Before testing to remove any ram overclocking

Testing one at a time may show only stick is faulty

Or run with windows with one stick of ram , run prime or some stress tester and see if bsod occurs only on some sticks of ram

Regards
Mike Barnes

Alexitus

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015

Memtest86 on a flash drive. I haven't even touched any of the overclock functions, though? I guess I could give it a try