[SOLVED] Memtest Results (Faulty Memory)

Apr 2, 2020
So I have been experiencing BSODs and have ran the memcheck, I got numerous errors and a person has told me the "ram bones" are faulty and I need new ram, is this true?
I am not doubting the guy I just want piece of mind when ordering new memory.
IMG_0603.JPG

Solution
Just disable XMP or DOCP, depending on what it is called on your motherboard.

Since you haven't provided much info on what specific RAM you have, the frequency could be 2133MHz. This is just a guess, since I don't know what RAM they are

But the motherboard will default to the right settings once you disable XMP / DOCP

EDIT : I just realized I can google the info from MemTest.

When you disable XMP / DOCP the RAM should revert to 2133MHz
MemTest86 shouldn't return even a single error, everything else is a very clear indication of faulty RAM (the IMC could also be at fault, but RAM is more likely)

But I have a question - did you run the MemTest with the XMP profile disabled?

Sometimes RAM returns no errors a stock frequency, while the same RAM shows errors at XMP settings. It is important to chenck both settings for errors

Apr 2, 2020
MemTest86 shouldn't return even a single error, everything else is a very clear indication of faulty RAM (the IMC could also be at fault, but RAM is more likely)

But I have a question - did you run the MemTest with the XMP profile disabled?

Sometimes RAM returns no errors a stock frequency, while the same RAM shows errors at XMP settings. It is important to chenck both settings for errors
I put it at 3600mhz like it says on the box I am not very good with computers

You should disable XMP or it could be called DOCP on your motherboard, so the RAM are operating at their slowest frequency.

Then you need to re-test the RAM with MemTest like you already did.

This can help identify if it is the high frequency of the RAM that creates problems, or if the RAM are definately faulty.

The RAM might be working and error free at stock frequency, but the the higher frequency of the RAM might not work well with the CPU, which could be the cause of the errors reported

Apr 2, 2020
You should disable XMP or it could bee called DOCP on your motherboard, so the RAM are operating at their slowest frequency.

Then you need to re-test the RAM with MemTest like you already did.

This can identify if it is the high frequency that creates problems, or if the RAM are definately faulty
Shall I run it the full time? I just saw the errors and stopped the test because it said you should see no errors

Apr 2, 2020
Until it begins showing errors is fine, but if you get no errors, you should let it run the usual 4 consecutive passes available in the free version.

You could let it run overnight, so you don't have to sit and wait for it to finish
I don't mind waiting, I am just sick of this BSOD, I have suddenly got all this free time to play some games with my pals lol

It is very frustrating. No more than a couple of months ago, I was having issues with my completely fresh build. Turned out to be a faulty CPU, after changing pretty much all other hardware.

So I can deefinately see why this is very annoying, and especially now with all the spare time.

There IS a fair chance that your RAM is not faulty, but might operate better at a reduced frequency instead of the full 3600MHz.

So don't give up hope just yet :)

Apr 2, 2020
It is very frustrating. No more than a couple of months ago, I was having issues with my completely fresh build. Turned out to be a faulty CPU, after changing pretty much all other hardware.

So I can deefinately see why this is very annoying, and especially now with all the spare time.

There IS a fair chance that your RAM is not faulty, but might operate better at a reduced frequency instead of the full 3600MHz.

Alright thanks :) I will run the memcheck now

Apr 2, 2020

Btw what speed shall I run it at instead?

Since you haven't provided much info on what specific RAM you have, the frequency could be 2133MHz. This is just a guess, since I don't know what RAM they are

But the motherboard will default to the right settings once you disable XMP / DOCP

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 2, 2020

Alright will do thanks :)

Apr 2, 2020
Should run at 2133 CL15 with DOCP or XMP disabled. If its stable this way and doesn't error, its fine to run your PC with DOCP or XMP disabled, but it will have reduced performance.
Good news! (I hope lol) I ran it on 2133 and it passed all 4 tests, so shall I keep it at this or could I increase it? I don't know if affects me playing games

Apr 2, 2020
What motherboard do you have? I would suggest to update your bios then enable xmp/docp then see if it passes memtest.

2133mhz ram will definately slow performance in games, although performance should still be alright.
I have the rog strix b450 f gaming, I have already got the latest bios as I tried to do it to stop the blue screen

Latest posts