Question MemTest64 is crashing even though other memory tests work

Dec 31, 2022
I’m using a G.Skill Flare X5 6000 CL36 with EXPO enabled. Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fpfDLs

I ran MemTest64 with Task Manager and HWiNFO. Both TestMem5 and Task Manager crashed. I also got an error message later saying "MemTest64.exe - System Error: Exception Processing Message 0xc0000005 - Unexpected parameters." I had run it for 8 hours at this point, and there weren't actually any memory errors reported in MemTest64 even with this message. There was one time my entire screen went black for some reason. I'm not sure if there were any memory errors here since I couldn't see anything. Here's a pic of that: View: https://imgur.com/a/uVxXqMx

I'm also getting error popups when I try to open other programs, but I guess that's expected if I have 100% CPU usage and almost 100% RAM usage.

I troubleshooted by running other tests.The other tests I ran include 24 hours of HCI MemTest, 4 passes of MemTest86 (I don't have the paid version), 3 cycles each of TestMem5 Absolut, Extreme, and 1usmus configurations (I'll run more cycles though), 1 hour of OCCT memory stress tests, AIDA64 memory benchmarks, and 24 hours of Y-Cruncher stress tests which cycle between all of the available tests. I tried to do 30 GB in Linpack Xtreme, but that made my SSD usage jump up to 100%; from what I understand from running HCI MemTest, that's not a very accurate memory test then. How should I run that then? I'll try to install Linux to use GSAT, and maybe I'll pay for Karhu. Additionally, are there any other memory stress tests or benchmarks I should be running?

I've only run into issues with MemTest64; is something just wrong with the program itself then, or is my RAM unstable? Other than that, it crashes when I disable Power Down Mode. Is that also an issue, or is that just a BIOS issue?

Last edited:
How did run Memtest86 "with task manager and HWinfo"? In order to run Memtest86 you need to create BOOTABLE MEDIA and boot to the flash drive that it is on. You cannot run it in Windows.

Memtest86

Go to the Passmark software website and download the USB Memtest86 free version. You can do the optical disk version too if for some reason you cannot use a bootable USB flash drive.

Create bootable media using the downloaded Memtest86. Once you have done that, go into your BIOS and configure the system to boot to the USB drive that contains the Memtest86 USB media or the optical drive if using that option.

You CAN use Memtest86+, as they've recently updated the program after MANY years of no updates, but for the purpose of this guide I recommend using the Passmark version as this is a tried and true utility while I've not had the opportunity to investigate the reliability of the latest 86+ release as compared to Memtest86. Possibly, consider using Memtest86+ as simply a secondary test to Memtest86, much as Windows memory diagnostic utility and Prime95 Blend or custom modes can be used for a second opinion utility.

Create a bootable USB Flash drive:

1. Download the Windows MemTest86 USB image.

2. Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here" option. This places the USB image and imaging tool into the current folder.

3. Run the included imageUSB tool, it should already have the image file selected and you just need to choose which connected USB drive to turn into a bootable drive. Note that this will erase all data on the drive.

No memory should ever fail to pass Memtest86 when it is at the default configuration that the system sets it at when you start out or do a clear CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for five minutes.

Best method for testing memory is to first run four passes of Memtest86, all 11 tests, WITH the memory at the default configuration. This should be done BEFORE setting the memory to the XMP profile settings. The paid version has 13 tests but the free version only has tests 1-10 and test 13. So run full passes of all 11 tests. Be sure to download the latest version of Memtest86. Memtest86+ has not been updated in MANY years. It is NO-WISE as good as regular Memtest86 from Passmark software.

If there are ANY errors, at all, then the memory configuration is not stable. Bumping the DRAM voltage up slightly may resolve that OR you may need to make adjustments to the primary timings. There are very few secondary or tertiary timings that should be altered. I can tell you about those if you are trying to tighten your memory timings.

If you cannot pass Memtest86 with the memory at the XMP configuration settings then I would recommend restoring the memory to the default JEDEC SPD of 1333/2133mhz (Depending on your platform and memory type) with everything left on the auto/default configuration and running Memtest86 over again. If it completes the four full passes without error you can try again with the XMP settings but first try bumping the DRAM voltage up once again by whatever small increment the motherboard will allow you to increase it by. If it passes, great, move on to the Prime95 testing.

If it still fails, try once again bumping the voltage if you are still within the maximum allowable voltage for your memory type and test again. If it still fails, you are likely going to need more advanced help with configuring your primary timings and should return the memory to the default configuration until you can sort it out.

If the memory will not pass Memtest86 for four passes when it IS at the stock default non-XMP configuration, even after a minor bump in voltage, then there is likely something physically wrong with one or more of the memory modules and I'd recommend running Memtest on each individual module, separately, to determine which module is causing the issue. If you find a single module that is faulty you should contact the seller or the memory manufacturer and have them replace the memory as a SET. Memory comes matched for a reason as I made clear earlier and if you let them replace only one module rather than the entire set you are back to using unmatched memory which is an open door for problems with incompatible memory.

Be aware that you SHOULD run Memtest86 to test the memory at the default, non-XMP, non-custom profile settings BEFORE ever making any changes to the memory configuration so that you will know if the problem is a setting or is a physical problem with the memory.

Sorry, I see now that you were running Memtest64. You should abandon that and run Memtest86 exactly as I outlined above. This is the most widely accepted and best way of testing memory. You need to eliminate all the things that you cannot eliminate with Windows running if you want a truly accurate assessment of your memory and to know if the problem you are having is ACTUALLY memory related or whether it's something else.

These other memory tests are fine and all, as second opinion utilities, but as a primary test method there is really nothing out there that is equal to Memtest86.

Dec 31, 2022
Sorry, I see now that you were running Memtest64. You should abandon that and run Memtest86 exactly as I outlined above. This is the most widely accepted and best way of testing memory. You need to eliminate all the things that you cannot eliminate with Windows running if you want a truly accurate assessment of your memory and to know if the problem you are having is ACTUALLY memory related or whether it's something else.

These other memory tests are fine and all, as second opinion utilities, but as a primary test method there is really nothing out there that is equal to Memtest86.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I did try MemTest86 at XMP. I believe I used all 11 tests and 4 passes if that’s the default, but I haven’t tried it at stock settings yet. I presumed it would pass at stock, but who knows with parts as finicky as these, so I’ll definitely try that too. I did see that my speed was showing up as the DDR5 default speed of 4800MHz even though I had XMP enabled and it should’ve been 6000MHz. Maybe it just shows the default speed; does that run with XMP settings if I enable that in the BIOS?

As for MemTest86+, I will make that a secondary test as well, but I’ll focus on just MemTest86. So, MemTest64 is just bad. That’s good to know. It seems the problems are with the program and not with my memory then. As of now, does it seem that my memory’s okay then since MemTest86 is passing? I will try to run it at stock settings too overnight. If this fails, I’ll definitely return it as a set as you said.

I suppose those issues with disabling Power Down mode as well as enabling EXPO and Memorry Context Restore are issues with my mobo and/or BIOS then. I did hear that my ASUS TUF GAMING B650-Plus and ASUS AM5 boards in general are having a lot of BIOS issues, so I suppose it’s more likely that it’s a BIOS issue since I haven’t noticed any signs of a faulty motherboard.

It is just reading your JEDEC information. If you are sure the sticks are set to XMP and have verified that by running CPU-Z or HWinfo and verifying that not just in the BIOS but also in Windows, they are showing up with the right speed, capacity and timings, then they will also be at the correct speed in Memtest86.

I'm not saying Memtest64, or any other test, is "bad", at all. What I am saying is that those should be secondary tests, run only when you want FURTHER validation, after running Memtest86.

If it is passing Memtest86 at the XMP configuration you do not need to go back and test at the default configuration. And if it is passing at the XMP configuration with all sticks installed, and you are not seeing actual problems in Windows, then it is likely just fine.

An additional test you CAN run in Windows that will give you a good indication of whether the memory configuration is stable in a couple of ways that most other tests won't really do, is to run Prime95 and choose the Blend mode. Be sure to disable any AVX options unless you have an AVX offset enabled in the BIOS. Prime95 Small FFT is most useful for testing CPU thermal compliance and also to some degree overall configuration stability but Blend mode leans heavily towards memory and is a good check to run anytime you are uncertain about the memory configuration or when overclocking memory, after you've run Memtest86.

Dec 31, 2022
It is just reading your JEDEC information. If you are sure the sticks are set to XMP and have verified that by running CPU-Z or HWinfo and verifying that not just in the BIOS but also in Windows, they are showing up with the right speed, capacity and timings, then they will also be at the correct speed in Memtest86.

I'm not saying Memtest64, or any other test, is "bad", at all. What I am saying is that those should be secondary tests, run only when you want FURTHER validation, after running Memtest86.

If it is passing Memtest86 at the XMP configuration you do not need to go back and test at the default configuration. And if it is passing at the XMP configuration with all sticks installed, and you are not seeing actual problems in Windows, then it is likely just fine.

An additional test you CAN run in Windows that will give you a good indication of whether the memory configuration is stable in a couple of ways that most other tests won't really do, is to run Prime95 and choose the Blend mode. Be sure to disable any AVX options unless you have an AVX offset enabled in the BIOS. Prime95 Small FFT is most useful for testing CPU thermal compliance and also to some degree overall configuration stability but Blend mode leans heavily towards memory and is a good check to run anytime you are uncertain about the memory configuration or when overclocking memory, after you've run Memtest86.

that makes sense. The BIOS and Task Manager says I’m running at 6000MHz and HWiNFO64 says I’m running at 3000MHz which I think is normal. I’ll check CPU-Z as well just to confirm.

in this case, do you think I should be concerned by my MemTest64 results since it gave me all those weird issues? I never actually saw any memory errors, but who knows what happened when the screen went all black and when MemTest64 crashed. Or is it fine since MemTest86 is fine? Should I get new RAM just because that one test is being weird?

I did run Prime95 Blend as well though I don’t think I disabled any AVX options unless they’re disabled by default. It worked fine for 2-3 hours. I tried it with FurMark too for 2-3 hours and that was fine too. I’ll try that with AVX off though. Can I disable them in Prime95 itself or do I have to change any configuration files or anything?

Is your ram kit on the motherboard ram qvl supported list?
Or on the G.skil support list for your mobo/cpu combo?
Ryzen is very sensitive to ram and all ram may not be compatible.

Check to see if there is a motherboard bios update that might be relevant.
New motherboards will often update for ram compatibility issues.

Do use the stand alone version of memtest to eliminate any windows related issues.
Check that the version you run has been updated for your motherboard and processor.

Reactions: Minutoh
that makes sense. The BIOS and Task Manager says I’m running at 6000MHz and HWiNFO64 says I’m running at 3000MHz which I think is normal. I’ll check CPU-Z as well just to confirm.

in this case, do you think I should be concerned by my MemTest64 results since it gave me all those weird issues? I never actually saw any memory errors, but who knows what happened when the screen went all black and when MemTest64 crashed. Or is it fine since MemTest86 is fine? Should I get new RAM just because that one test is being weird?

I did run Prime95 Blend as well though I don’t think I disabled any AVX options unless they’re disabled by default. It worked fine for 2-3 hours. I tried it with FurMark too for 2-3 hours and that was fine too. I’ll try that with AVX off though. Can I disable them in Prime95 itself or do I have to change any configuration files or anything?
You are not the only person, by a long shot, who has had issues with Memtest64. I would simply avoid using it.

Use Memtest86, Prime95 Blend mode, Realbench, OCCT and a few others for CPU, memory and overall stability testing.

Reactions: Minutoh
Dec 31, 2022
Is your ram kit on the motherboard ram qvl supported list?
Or on the G.skil support list for your mobo/cpu combo?
Ryzen is very sensitive to ram and all ram may not be compatible.

Check to see if there is a motherboard bios update that might be relevant.
New motherboards will often update for ram compatibility issues.

Do use the stand alone version of memtest to eliminate any windows related issues.
Check that the version you run has been updated for your motherboard and processor.

My RAM kit may be on the motherboard RAM QVL supported list. I have a F5-6000J3238F16GX2-FX5, and the F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5NR is on my ASUS TUF GAMING B650's QVL list. They both have the same part number but with a different suffix. I contacted G.Skill, and they told me that they're the same thing except the TZ5NR has RGB; it seems that's technically on the QVL list then. Additionally, my Flare X5's QVL list does indeed have the TUF GAMING B650-Plus on it, so it should be fine. There is a new beta BIOS, but I'm going to wait until it goes out of beta. Where can I check if MemTest has been updated for my mobo and processor?

You are not the only person, by a long shot, who has had issues with Memtest64. I would simply avoid using it.

Use Memtest86, Prime95 Blend mode, Realbench, OCCT and a few others for CPU, memory and overall stability testing.

That's good to hear. If people are having issues with Memtest64, I'll definitely avoid that. I'm running Prime95 Blend mode with all three AVX options disabled right now. How long should I run it for? I've been running it for an hour and a half so far without any issues. I will also try Realbench and OCCT then. Thanks!

Dec 31, 2022

If I enable PBO, it is making me fail on its own. I thought it was Power down mode or MCR, but it appears to be PBO. PBO is definitely actually important unlike thenother two. I’m pretty sure this worked with the previous BIOS version, so I’ll try to revert to that. People are saying the beta BIOS is more stable as well, but I’d rather wait until that leaves beta.

TRENDING THREADS