[SOLVED] Memtest86 shows 4 errors on test 7, what does that mean?.

boogie_1987

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
Hi everyone

Today I ran Memtest86, out of pure curiosity. During the 7th test 4 errors appeared. I just ran 1 pass because I didn't have time to let that thing run during 8 hours to complete 8 passes. I took the picture before the first pass ended but I let it finish and no other errors appeared.

Error screeshot

It's a Corsair Vengance RGB PRO DDR4, 3200MHz, 16GB (2x 8GB), CL16, XMP, 1.35V. With the XMP profile enabled. I Built this computer in October last year 2019, this kit is basically new.

My PC is fine, no BSOD's, or stability issues, everything runs ok. I was just playing Warframe, the game crashed again today, which is weird. I googled it and amongst other things, this "Ram Test" kept showing up, it seems to be a very common advice. I did it and found this. If I hadn't run the test I would be using my PC normally because is not giving me any problems.

Do I really need to send my RAM for replacement?. Is my RAM dying or defective?, is this really bad?. I wouldn't want to send it for replacement because it could take weeks and I need this PC to work, besides I don't know if Corsair will recognize this as a faulty product and accept my request. What do these 4 errors mean?.

My PC:
Motherboard: Aorus B450 pro wifi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 Super
PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w
CASE: Cooler Master H500, 2x 200mm intake fans on the front, 1x 120mm Exhaust on the back, 2x 140mm Corsair Exhaust fans on the top.
All connected to a 900va UPS.

Thank you!.

Solution
Hi.

This is the 3rd time I've gotten this BSoD. The only pattern I've noticed is that it happens during Idle states. I've ran Memtest86, after 4/4 passes it shows no errors. I'm not entirely sure but this started to happen since I updated Windows 10 to the 1909 version. My ram kit is a Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz. On a Aorus B450 pro wifi and Ryzen 5 2600x.

I disabled the XMP profile that had my ram running at 3200hz because a game called Warframe was constantly crashing. And memtest86 showed 4 errors during test 7. I disabled XMP and Warframe no longer crashes and memtest86 shows no errors.

My motherboard bios is not up to date, I'm like 7 updates behind but I don't want to mess up with my that unless...
im memtest u need 0 errors, any higher number will mean system random instability and eventualy corrupted data on drive which means data lost

go to bios and disable XMP profile, run memtest again
if u still get errors with XMP disabled, then RAM is deffective
if u get no errors, then it means u cant use XMP profile , RAM overclock will need to be done manually (if needed)

Reactions: CountMike

boogie_1987

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
I ran Memtest86 again with XMP disabled and I got 0 errors. So does that means my RAM is ok?. Should I overclock my RAM to 3200 again? or leave it at stock settings?. Is there a reliable tutorial on how to do this?.

Thanks.

boogie_1987

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
Hi.

This is the 3rd time I've gotten this BSoD. The only pattern I've noticed is that it happens during Idle states. I've ran Memtest86, after 4/4 passes it shows no errors. I'm not entirely sure but this started to happen since I updated Windows 10 to the 1909 version. My ram kit is a Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz. On a Aorus B450 pro wifi and Ryzen 5 2600x.

I disabled the XMP profile that had my ram running at 3200hz because a game called Warframe was constantly crashing. And memtest86 showed 4 errors during test 7. I disabled XMP and Warframe no longer crashes and memtest86 shows no errors.

My motherboard bios is not up to date, I'm like 7 updates behind but I don't want to mess up with my that unless it's strictly necessary.
Windows 10 is up to date
GPU Drivers are up to date. RTX 2060 Super.

What's going on?, ram seems to be ok, what could be causing this BSoD?.

Thank you!.

tx6z3vf.jpg

38QswKd.jpg

Hi.

My motherboard bios is not up to date, I'm like 7 updates behind but I don't want to mess up with my that unless it's strictly necessary.
Windows 10 is up to date
GPU Drivers are up to date. RTX 2060 Super.

What's going on?, ram seems to be ok, what could be causing this BSoD?.

Thank you!.

tx6z3vf.jpg

38QswKd.jpg
Maybe the current BSoDs aren't related to your memory. Maybe, for whatever reason, it's the 1909 version of Windows 10 that's causing them.

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

Frequent blue screen for windows 10 1909

It sounds like the Warframe issue maybe was related to your memory running XMP, for whatever reason. Is your specific memory on your motherboards QVL for Pinnacle Ridge CPUs? If it is, then you might consider an RMA. On the other hand, if you don't care about running XMP and don't want to wait for the replacement kit, then just run it at the speed that it's currently running at.

Also, as you can probably guess, I'm an advocate of using the latest and greatest BIOS for my motherboard. I'm not 100% convinced the description for different BIOS' always reflects all of the changes that went into it.

Last edited:
Solution

boogie_1987

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
Maybe the current BSoDs aren't related to your memory. Maybe, for whatever reason, it's the 1909 version of Windows 10 that's causing them.

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

Frequent blue screen for windows 10 1909

It sounds like the Warframe issue maybe was related to your memory running XMP, for whatever reason. Is your specific memory on your motherboards QVL for Pinnacle Ridge CPUs? If it is, then you might consider an RMA. On the other hand, if you don't care about running XMP and don't want to wait for the replacement kit, then just run it at the speed that it's currently running at.

Also, as you can probably guess, I'm an advocate of using the latest and greatest BIOS for my motherboard. I'm not 100% convinced the description for different BIOS' always reflects all of the changes that went into it.

EDIT: I found the QVL list and my memory is not there. They just list 3 corsair kits, is that definitive?. In case you are wondering I bought this memory because PC Part picker didn't warned me of any compatibility issues.

I mean the list says that due to the big number of memory kits out there they can just test a handful of them. So they just grabbed one 16gb kit, tested it and call it a day?. "Yup, good luck dear consumer, we hope the memory kit you buy doesn't give any issues because we just tested one".

Last edited:

boogie_1987

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
As I stated, I'm guessing the BOIS' 'description' isn't always 100% accurate, so a later BIOS version may fix help your XMP situation.

Did you get a chance to look at the "Frequent blue screen for Windows 10 1909" link I posted above?

Hi, yes I checked out that tread and it went unsolved. It talks about HDD issues or GPU driver issues, nothing solid though.

Well I guess I'll have to update my BIOS. I hope that doesn't make my problem worse, actually I haven't got any BSoD since Tuesday.