[SOLVED] Memtest86 test 10 error

Dec 10, 2021
What should I do if I get this error when testing my ram. This is the only test it failed which is the bit fade test and is supposed to be CPU related. I had been getting occasional random bsods related to memory management which is why I used memtest86.

Solution
Surprise but this is not only solution... You can downclock them, increase timings or voltage, disable XMP, and etc.
Other point is that it is annoying to do and time costly

Question is, what had you set up and what ram config are you using. Because it is also CPU that may not be stable with ram at this point. old CPU may have more troubles with using newest ram with old CPU (with XMP on)

I stand by what i said "Any errors using Memtest86 is considered a failure and the full kit needs to be RMA."
Rather than a lengthy explanation, I will refer you to this Memtest86 PDF article.
and here:
https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm
Memtest86 is...
What should I do if I get this error when testing my ram. This is the only test it failed which is the bit fade test and is supposed to be CPU related. I had been getting occasional random bsods related to memory management which is why I used memtest86.

Hi Dylanmacca (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

Any errors using Memtest86 is considered a failure and the full kit needs to be RMA.

Dec 10, 2021
I found this in another post "CPU is where memory controller is, report shows the errors happened in memory tests, not CPU ones.
Test 0, 1 & 10 are CPU related tests.
You failed test 7" and the test I failed was 10 so does that not mean that my RAM is ok?

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Any errors using Memtest86 is considered a failure and the full kit needs to be RMA.
Surprise but this is not only solution... You can downclock them, increase timings or voltage, disable XMP, and etc.

Question is, what had you set up and what ram config are you using. Because it is also CPU that may not be stable with ram at this point. old CPU may have more troubles with using newest ram with old CPU (with XMP on)

Dec 10, 2021

I'm running dual channel lpx vengeance 2x8gb 3600 MHz with an i7 9700k with xmp off

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
I'm running dual channel lpx vengeance 2x8gb 3600 MHz with an i7 9700k with xmp off

Well with XMP it seems to be 50/50 bet from what i read in first minute of search. But i am not ready to deepen down in the pit there.
Without XMP up to 2666 is guaranteed should be fine.
Question is - what is failing. RAM or CPU memory controller...
Try to run Memtest with each stick one by one. Maybe one of them got corrupted.

Dec 10, 2021
Well with XMP it seems to be 50/50 bet from what i read in first minute of search. But i am not ready to deepen down in the pit there.
Without XMP up to 2666 is guaranteed should be fine.
Question is - what is failing. RAM or CPU memory controller...
Try to run Memtest with each stick one by one. Maybe one of them got corrupted.

I think I might have solved the issue, I set the ram to run at 3200mhz and so far I haven't encountered any bsods but only time will tell.

I stand by what i said "Any errors using Memtest86 is considered a failure and the full kit needs to be RMA."
Rather than a lengthy explanation, I will refer you to this Memtest86 PDF article.
and here:
https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm
Memtest86 is independent of the OS and although there may be nothing wrong with the DIMMs themselves the errors may lay with the motherboard or component incompatibility. Memtest86 implicitly tests the CPU and Cache as well as the Motherboard.

Solution

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
"Any errors using Memtest86 is considered a failure and the full kit needs to be RMA."
Memory controller can cause errors with memtest. But in this case memory is fine, and to fix it solution is not quite swapping memory as same specs will most likely still cause same issue.
You want to look for reason of error, not just error = swap kits.
Maybe increasing controller voltage a bit is all you need.
Maybe increasing voltage on memory (within 1.4V ofc)...
Failures can be different. And even not every memtest error is able to cause BSODs too, Tbh, idk which tests memtest86 performs, but testmem5 is sometimes too precise

Dec 10, 2021
Memory controller can cause errors with memtest. But in this case memory is fine, and to fix it solution is not quite swapping memory as same specs will most likely still cause same issue.
Failures can be different. And even not every memtest error is able to cause BSODs too, Tbh, idk which tests memtest86 performs, but testmem5 is sometimes too precise

What would you recommend changing the voltage to if the default is 1.35?

Dec 10, 2021

I just changed the voltage and then got a dpc watchdog violation bsod then I put it back to default then got a whea uncorrectable error bsod.

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
What would you recommend changing the voltage to if the default is 1.35?
Hey, i wasn't recommending it as guaranteed way
I said that it could've helped if reason was main timing instability or clock issue.
Btw, memory controller have different voltage than RAM one

What specific source caused that BSOD?
DPC Watchdog violation is related to outdated driver and SATA not being properly set or system file corruption.
Either set SATA into AHCI and update AHCI driver, or run
Code:
chkdsk L: /f /r
with admin. command line to try and find errors on disk. To check system disk you must confirm reboot, because it cannot be done on active drive
Source: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/dpc-watchdog-violation-on-windows-10-fixed/

To find what caused WHEA error though is a bit harder, and i am not that good at decrypting to help with that.
I can only say that this one is hardware correlated BSOD... But cause of this one can be anything.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-open-and-analyze-dump-error-files-windows-10
Windows should've already created dump file when you got this crash. you either want to send it on microsoft error and ask some help, or try to decrypt it... at least i found some instruction

Dec 10, 2021
Hey, i wasn't recommending it as guaranteed way
I said that it could've helped if reason was main timing instability or clock issue.
Btw, memory controller have different voltage than RAM one

What specific source caused that BSOD?
DPC Watchdog violation is related to outdated driver and SATA not being properly set or system file corruption.
Either set SATA into AHCI and update AHCI driver, or run
Code:
chkdsk L: /f /r
with admin. command line to try and find errors on disk. To check system disk you must confirm reboot, because it cannot be done on active drive
Source: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/dpc-watchdog-violation-on-windows-10-fixed/

To find what caused WHEA error though is a bit harder, and i am not that good at decrypting to help with that.
I can only say that this one is hardware correlated BSOD... But cause of this one can be anything.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-open-and-analyze-dump-error-files-windows-10
Windows should've already created dump file when you got this crash. you either want to send it on microsoft error and ask some help, or try to decrypt it... at least i found some instruction

I just reset my bios settings and it stopped the bsods