Question Mesh Network Failure When One PC is Turned On - Absolute mystery.

Irvsax

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Ok, so i have this really odd situation (I think). I have a tenda nova Mesh system that has been working great for many months. There are for modules and two of them are hard wired at each end of the house. The two in the middle of the house are not hard wired. From the hard wired one at the back is a home office with two PCs in. These are hard wired to the mesh module there via a ethernet hub. Nothing too crazy.

Anyway, on Sunday I noticed that the two non wired mesh modules had red lights. Nothing I do seemed to change it and there was no coincidence it was happening on both the non wired modules. Around 8pm that evening, they started working again. Then yesterday, all afternoon they were red (not working) and then around 8pm they started working again.

It was only today that I realised that they dont work when one of the PCs is turned on! It is the same PC every time and as soon as I turn that machine off the Mesh modules work again.

To me this is absolutely bizarre and I cannot think what the issue is. Even if I take the Ethernet cable out of this PC and use the wifi on it, there is still the same problem with these modules.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I am beyond stumped by this.

What are the specs of the PC, is it an older PC? Perhaps it uses an older wifi encryption protocol or wifi standard and when the mesh nodes switch to match that standard, it causes them to lose connection with the other mesh units?

If it's a laptop, you might be able to upgrade the wifi card to a newer standard.

Reactions: Irvsax

Irvsax

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
What are the specs of the PC, is it an older PC? Perhaps it uses an older wifi encryption protocol or wifi standard and when the mesh nodes switch to match that standard, it causes them to lose connection with the other mesh units?

If it's a laptop, you might be able to upgrade the wifi card to a newer standard.

Thanks. I just troubleshooted it some more. On the weekend i got a usb to hdmi adaptor to add a third monitor to the PC and unplugging that fixes the problem. I am still completely at a loss as to how or why that would cause an issue, but that is the problem.