Question Mesh network - ip address question

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Had lightning hit us again about two weeks ago. Still trying to get my mesh network back up and running.

I am walking around to all of the ethernet jacks and carrying one of my ap's and it's PoE device and checking all of my jacks. They seem to be working still, but I have an ip address question. Should my ap's all have the same ip address? They don't seem to and I don't know if that is part of the problem or not. Casual homeowner trying to be an ethernet hero. :)

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Lighting strike took out our switch (first thing I noticed) and later noticed it took out our 3k projector, and now I replaced the 12 port switch with two 8 port switches, and I'm wondering if I created the problem with the mesh network by doing that somehow.

Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
Had lightning hit us again about two weeks ago. Still trying to get my mesh network back up and running.

I am walking around to all of the ethernet jacks and carrying one of my ap's and it's PoE device and checking all of my jacks. They seem to be working still, but I have an ip address question. Should my ap's all have the same ip address? They don't seem to and I don't know if that is part of the problem or not. Casual homeowner trying to be an ethernet hero. :)
APs should have unique IP addresses. Typically an AP will have DHCP enabled for assigning an IP to the device.
What brand of network hardware are we talking about?

Reactions: Lutfij

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
APs should have unique IP addresses. Typically an AP will have DHCP enabled for assigning an IP to the device.
What brand of network hardware are we talking about?
Okay. I'll try to watch the ip's then. I have a tp-link router and I am trying my best to configure three ubiquiti ap's in different parts of the house. So if I am seeing differnt ip's for each ap and those are all different from the router ip, that all sounds about like it probably should?

The issue I'm running into is that when I try to get them all up and running, I always have one that ends up showing 'wired' and the other two piggyback off of it when I adopt them. I tried disabling meshing in the unifi software, but that blew up the whole system and I've spent the last two days trying to remedy it.

kanewolf

Titan
Okay. I'll try to watch the ip's then. I have a tp-link router and I am trying my best to configure three ubiquiti ap's in different parts of the house. So if I am seeing differnt ip's for each ap and those are all different from the router ip, that all sounds about like it probably should?

The issue I'm running into is that when I try to get them all up and running, I always have one that ends up showing 'wired' and the other two piggyback off of it when I adopt them. I tried disabling meshing in the unifi software, but that blew up the whole system and I've spent the last two days trying to remedy it.
OK. If you have multiple UniFI APs then you REALLY need to be running the controller software somewhere. That will allow you to manage all three easily.
You can run the free software on a PC or Raspberry PI.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Yep. Got that. Spent HOURS trying to figure out the problem with the newest version a night or two ago. Eventually found out from ubiquiti that I needed to check my C++ as that was the reason it wouldn't let me log in, and it doesn't give you any info/error when that happens. Went to C++ and it was already installed. Could only uninstall or repair. Went ahead with repair and it let me in. Prior to that the only way I could get in was to uninstall and install the previous version of unifi network. At any rate, I'm in the unifi network. I can't get it to show more than one ap at a time though, and I was introduced to wifiman today by ubiquiti (awesome app!) and can only see one at a time there too.

I finally went ahead and adopted one of the ap's. Showed up as GbE. Only ever showed up as mesh before. So that was good. As soon as I adopted it, the other two showed up, as per usual, but when I try to adopt them, they again go to mesh right away instead of GbE. Different ap's, same result when I do them in a different order. It's just I have a different one as the first on adopted and on GbE now and the other two are now meshing off of that one.

kanewolf

Titan
Yep. Got that. Spent HOURS trying to figure out the problem with the newest version a night or two ago. Eventually found out from ubiquiti that I needed to check my C++ as that was the reason it wouldn't let me log in, and it doesn't give you any info/error when that happens. Went to C++ and it was already installed. Could only uninstall or repair. Went ahead with repair and it let me in. Prior to that the only way I could get in was to uninstall and install the previous version of unifi network. At any rate, I'm in the unifi network. I can't get it to show more than one ap at a time though, and I was introduced to wifiman today by ubiquiti (awesome app!) and can only see one at a time there too.

I finally went ahead and adopted one of the ap's. Showed up as GbE. Only ever showed up as mesh before. So that was good. As soon as I adopted it, the other two showed up, as per usual, but when I try to adopt them, they again go to mesh right away instead of GbE. Different ap's, same result when I do them in a different order. It's just I have a different one as the first on adopted and on GbE now and the other two are now meshing off of that one.
In the controller, there is an option under settings -> system -> advanced "Wireless Connectivity" Ensure that wireless meshing is DISABLED.

Are you trying to adopt them when you have them all plugged in?

I had a few at work that would do the same thing, i ended up plugging 1 in adopting it and made sure it was up to date. I would then unplug it and plug in the next one, following the same steps for all 12 AP's. Once they were all adopted i could plug them all in and everything was fine.