[SOLVED] Mesh Networking for a big home

Idan Cohen

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2013
Hey all

My house is around 150 square meters all together , one floor , and the walls are concrete with blocks (so that messes up transmission)

Right now I'm dealing with a Frankenstein mesh network of tp link made out of these units
1 Deco M5 as main router, connects to the internet with pppoe over tplink vr600
1 deco m4 as a bedroom extender
2 Deco P9 (electrical transmission)
1 Deco M3W for the garden

It all started as I was trying to get better internet because my ISP router was total garbage. Since I knew the wifi signals are hampered by the walls - I tried to get a 3 pack Deco P9 and use Electrical backhaul - but one of those units stopped working and crashes my entire network if it stays connected to it (yay tp link)

So I'm looking for a good alternative because TP link has an atrocious support and the app is VERY rudimentary in my eyes and I have no control about almost nothing.

I generally need around 5 units to cover everything with good coverage.

Let me start off and say ethernet backhaul is impossible to implement because of the massive work it would require to break the walls and install that. Same goes for MOCA.
So I'm left to the mercy of good antennas and hopefully a tri-band could help a little with the transmission.

Generally the uses are getting normal internet all over the house, I need a good intranet in the home - since we're using Xbox Remote Play and that relay on the current network to transmit the frames.

I was thinking of getting ASUS XT8 and using it in tandem with the ASUS XD4 (buying 5 XT8 will make me broke lol) , I'll have an XT8 as a main router, and put another XT8 at a central area to connect to the other XD4 .
I havent seen too many good reviews about it.

So anyone has tried to mix and match with those XT8 and XD4 ?
Anyone has a better solution ?

would love to hear from your experience

Solution
Sorry for not being clear.
About the outside cable run - that's a better idea making them go in a tube/something that will enclose them out of natures harm (heat\rain etc) and then it would only make for a minor fix on the wall.. that might be real solution.
Exterior rated Cat5e cable needs no conduit tube.
I have that running to 6x outdoor cameras.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey all

My house is around 150 square meters all together , one floor , and the walls are concrete with blocks (so that messes up transmission)

Right now I'm dealing with a Frankenstein mesh network of tp link made out of these units
1 Deco M5 as main router, connects to the internet with pppoe over tplink vr600
1 deco m4 as a bedroom extender
2 Deco P9 (electrical transmission)
1 Deco M3W for the garden

It all started as I was trying to get better internet because my ISP router was total garbage. Since I knew the wifi signals are hampered by the walls - I tried to get a 3 pack Deco P9 and use Electrical backhaul - but one of those units stopped working and crashes my entire network if it stays connected to it (yay tp link)

So I'm looking for a good alternative because TP link has an atrocious support and the app is VERY rudimentary in my eyes and I have no control about almost nothing.

I generally need around 5 units to cover everything with good coverage.

Let me start off and say ethernet backhaul is impossible to implement because of the massive work it would require to break the walls and install that. Same goes for MOCA.
So I'm left to the mercy of good antennas and hopefully a tri-band could help a little with the transmission.

Generally the uses are getting normal internet all over the house, I need a good intranet in the home - since we're using Xbox Remote Play and that relay on the current network to transmit the frames.

I was thinking of getting ASUS XT8 and using it in tandem with the ASUS XD4 (buying 5 XT8 will make me broke lol) , I'll have an XT8 as a main router, and put another XT8 at a central area to connect to the other XD4 .
I havent seen too many good reviews about it.

So anyone has tried to mix and match with those XT8 and XD4 ?
Anyone has a better solution ?

would love to hear from your experience
Although wall penetrations is impractical, what about attic ? Ceiling mount access points ?

Idan Cohen

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2013
Although wall penetrations is impractical, what about attic ? Ceiling mount access points ?
So above us is another apt. so there's an attic above them and not us, unfortunately..
about the ceiling ones - if it wont be hidden, in like, the lamp, then its a no go.. I mean, you probably meant ceiling mount that goes by cable ? cause having all those cables running at the ceiling isn't good looking and looks out of the ordinary..
I'm guessing there still isnt any powerful enough antennas to go past brick walls ? :(

kanewolf

Titan
So above us is another apt. so there's an attic above them and not us, unfortunately..
about the ceiling ones - if it wont be hidden, in like, the lamp, then its a no go.. I mean, you probably meant ceiling mount that goes by cable ? cause having all those cables running at the ceiling isn't good looking and looks out of the ordinary..
I'm guessing there still isnt any powerful enough antennas to go past brick walls ? :(
Since you said one floor, it was unclear on above/below.
What about outside cable runs?
I don't believe you will ever get good WIFI without some type of cabled infrastructure.

Idan Cohen

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2013
I don't believe you will ever get good WIFI without some type of cabled infrastructure.
About the outside cable run - that's a better idea making them go in a tube/something that will enclose them out of natures harm (heat\rain etc) and then it would only make for a minor fix on the wall.. that might be real solution.

USAFRet

Titan
Exterior rated Cat5e cable needs no conduit tube.
I have that running to 6x outdoor cameras.

Reactions: Idan Cohen
Solution

TRENDING THREADS