jeyges

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I recently replaced my RCN gateway with an Arris S33 modem and TP-Link AX1800 (Archer AX21) router. I'm switching out the router because it's larger than I realized from the photos and too ugly to have on top of furniture.

I'm looking at the Eero 6+ and Linksys Atlas Pro 6. I'm only getting one unit, as I'm in a one-bedroom apartment and don't really need a mesh network. I just like the look of them and found deals on them. (I was also thinking of the D-Link Aquila Pro that looks like a manta ray, but it's new so there are almost no reviews, and of course it's D-Link, so the warranty and support window are short.)

Does anyone have an opinion? I know someone who has an Eero 6 Pro network and is pretty happy with it (although he's in a house so it's a different scenario), but I don't know anyone who's used one of the Linksys Atlas or Velop models.

My Internet speed is 600 Mbps and it's only me with a MacBook, iPad, phone and TV with wireless box and Roku (although they're never all being used at the same time), so my needs are modest.

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

" I'm switching out the router because it's larger than I realized from the photos and too ugly to have on top of furniture.".

Setting aside the cosmetics - do the modem and router work well? Performance is better when they are placed higher up and centrally located. (Versus buried in a closet or under a desk, etc..)

My opinion - if the answer is yes then just live with the current setup and appearance. Likely, in the not so distant future, you and others, as applicable, may not even notice the "looks".

Saves you money and also avoids the problematic nature of mesh networks.

All the more so with respect to the stated modest requirements.....

Set a plant in front of the router, etc.. Something (non metal) that will not interfere with transmission and reception.

Never let form get in the way of function.,

Just my thoughts.

jeyges

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
This:

" I'm switching out the router because it's larger than I realized from the photos and too ugly to have on top of furniture.".

Setting aside the cosmetics - do the modem and router work well? Performance is better when they are placed higher up and centrally located. (Versus buried in a closet or under a desk, etc..)

My opinion - if the answer is yes then just live with the current setup and appearance. Likely, in the not so distant future, you and others, as applicable, may not even notice the "looks".

Saves you money and also avoids the problematic nature of mesh networks.

All the more so with respect to the stated modest requirements.....

Set a plant in front of the router, etc.. Something (non metal) that will not interfere with transmission and reception.

Never let form get in the way of function.,

Just my thoughts.
It works, but the appearance bothers me (I'm a very shallow person). And yes, I know where to place them.

It isn't a matter of money b/c I just made the change and can still return the router to Amazon.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015

jeyges

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cave-Dual-Band-Technology-AiProtection/dp/B078TGQ99B

You can turn off the LED
It's not WiFi 6. Thanks, but I really do just want do focus on the Eero 6+ (or 6 Pro) and the Linksys Atlas Pro 6.

Latest posts