Question Mesh speed with mixed nodes.

ThirtySixteen

BANNED
Sep 6, 2024
Hi guys and gals,

I currently have a 2Gbs broadband package with a decent 2.5Gbs Deco mesh.
It currently gives me around 1.7Gig at around 25 feet which is fine.

I currently have 1 mesh node in my kitchen supplying an outside CCTV camera via PoE and it’s fine.

I also have another CCTV on the other side of the house with no available mesh. It’s not picking up great WiFi as it’s outside.

My question is, I think I’d like to purchase another node to go there, if I purchase a cheaper 1gb deco node will my WiFi speeds be limited to 1gb on that node or is it just the Ethernet that’s limited?

It says it has WiFi speeds of up to 2800gbs.

Thanks.

ThirtySixteen

BANNED
Sep 6, 2024
If the radio is 1gb then that's all you get. It doesn't matter what you have for Ethernet.
Thanks.
This is what’s confusing me though.

Obviously the radio from the original node connected to my router is currently around 1.7 - 1.8gig.

The node itself that I’m looking at says wifi speeds of up to 2.6Gbs.

I just wasn’t sure if that was devices combined or if any single device could draw that?

I am very surprised that you get 1.7g on wifi.

Most wifi number are massive lies. They do stuff like add together the speeds of the 2.4, 5 and 6 ghz bands. No single device can use all three at the same time.....well the newest version of wifi7 is suppose to but almost no end device support it yet.

Before you get too far into the chasing the big number you need to ask WHY.

Very high bandwidth is really only useful if you are doing very large file downloads. Most wifi devices are portable and have very little storage. It is not like you are going to download a 20gbyte game to your phone. Also how often would you actually do that in a month. Is it really work any extra expense to get a larger speedtest result.

In general most houses do not need more than 100mbps. Things like watching 4k netflix only uses 30mbps and have more does not make it run faster or better. You could have 3 people watching 4k videos at the same time and still have enough left over for people to play games and surf the web.

Only you can decide if it is worth it to you but I would not stress too much. Even a very high def camera compresses the data massively so you will be lucky to need 10mbps for most.

ThirtySixteen

BANNED
Sep 6, 2024
I am very surprised that you get 1.7g on wifi.

Most wifi number are massive lies. They do stuff like add together the speeds of the 2.4, 5 and 6 ghz bands. No single device can use all three at the same time.....well the newest version of wifi7 is suppose to but almost no end device support it yet.

Before you get too far into the chasing the big number you need to ask WHY.

Very high bandwidth is really only useful if you are doing very large file downloads. Most wifi devices are portable and have very little storage. It is not like you are going to download a 20gbyte game to your phone. Also how often would you actually do that in a month. Is it really work any extra expense to get a larger speedtest result.

In general most houses do not need more than 100mbps. Things like watching 4k netflix only uses 30mbps and have more does not make it run faster or better. You could have 3 people watching 4k videos at the same time and still have enough left over for people to play games and surf the web.

Only you can decide if it is worth it to you but I would not stress too much. Even a very high def camera compresses the data massively so you will be lucky to need 10mbps for most.
Why are you surprised?

I get the full 2gig from the router if I stand next to it. Maybe 1.9. But always get between 1.5-1.7 from the mesh next to it.

I’ve ALWAYS had the speed promised from my supplier.

The reason I have 2gig is because I was in 1gig and they asked me if I’d like to be an early adopter of 2gig for £5 LESS.
It was a no brainier.

And there’s absolutely no way on earth 100mb, even 500mb would be fast enough for my house.
4 teens, all streaming
3 of them massive gamers. (One of the previous game updates was 120gb alone).
2 of them homeschooled
I work from home
NAS drive.
5 4K CCTV cameras.

I get what you’re saying lol. But unfortunately my home isn’t really the typical.

👍🏻👍🏻

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
One of the previous game updates was 120gb alone
That's the game file size, has nothing to do with bandwidth while playing a game.

I get the full 2gig from the router if I stand next to it. Maybe 1.9. But always get between 1.5-1.7 from the mesh next to it.
That's the link speed, not the real world transfer speed.

The spec provided by vendor as mentioned is a combination of 2.4G + 5G + (6G), which actually will not be combined also has been pointed out and it's all lies.

You are actually the one who has no idea.

Last edited: