[SOLVED] Mesh vs. Extender solution?

Apr 21, 2022
Hi, I'm trying to help a relative set up a solution so that there is Wi-Fi Internet at both of the houses on her property. The main house currently receives 80 mpbs DSL (no cable is available) and the smaller tenant house doesn't have Internet. It is located about 90 feet from the main house, though the DSL modem/router is probably about 110 feet from the tenant house. I've worked a fair amount with WiFi routers in the past but have actually never used a mesh network and only used an early extender once, years ago. I know some people here are concerned about mesh's performance. The main goal is to provide some Internet--doesn't have to be the world's fastest--to the tentant house. Anyone who has experience with these distances that can make a recommendation for a solution? Much aprpreciated.

Solution
Hi, I'm trying to help a relative set up a solution so that there is Wi-Fi Internet at both of the houses on her property. The main house currently receives 80 mpbs DSL (no cable is available) and the smaller tenant house doesn't have Internet. It is located about 90 feet from the main house, though the DSL modem/router is probably about 110 feet from the tenant house. I've worked a fair amount with WiFi routers in the past but have actually never used a mesh network and only used an early extender once, years ago. I know some people here are concerned about mesh's performance. The main goal is to provide some Internet--doesn't have to be the world's fastest--to the tentant house. Anyone who has experience with these distances that...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, I'm trying to help a relative set up a solution so that there is Wi-Fi Internet at both of the houses on her property. The main house currently receives 80 mpbs DSL (no cable is available) and the smaller tenant house doesn't have Internet. It is located about 90 feet from the main house, though the DSL modem/router is probably about 110 feet from the tenant house. I've worked a fair amount with WiFi routers in the past but have actually never used a mesh network and only used an early extender once, years ago. I know some people here are concerned about mesh's performance. The main goal is to provide some Internet--doesn't have to be the world's fastest--to the tentant house. Anyone who has experience with these distances that can make a recommendation for a solution? Much aprpreciated.
You really don't want either of those two (actually same thing different name) technologies.
You would want to setup a point to point (PTP) network link. That is a technology that uses directional radios, in pairs, to create a wireless link between two locations. You would install the PTP devices on the outside of the two structures point at each other. Then bring the network inside on both ends via an ethernet cable. the PTP devices are powered by the same ethernet cable.
The Ubiquiti loco AC would be the lowest cost solution.
The one thing that needs to be researched, before something like this is done, is "are you violating the terms of service of your ISP by providing service to a second address" This can cause your service to be terminated.

Solution
Apr 21, 2022
The one thing that needs to be researched, before something like this is done, is "are you violating the terms of service of your ISP by providing service to a second address" This can cause your service to be terminated.
Thanks for the suggestions. It's even a better question if it's considered a second address since the tenant house actually doesn't have a different address. I'll look into it though.

You would also need to be careful in case your internet was used for nefarious activity.
This would be my primary concern. When you share your internet connection who every pays the bill is the first one the police come looking for. I mean you have to even be careful of some family members, many cases where the kids do bad stuff and get the internet shut off or nasty legal notices from places like the RIAA.

Reactions: Corwin65
Apr 21, 2022
This would be my primary concern. When you share your internet connection who every pays the bill is the first one the police come looking for. I mean you have to even be careful of some family members, many cases where the kids do bad stuff and get the internet shut off or nasty legal notices from places like the RIAA.

Good points as well. In this case the person is a trusted entity, but I can see where in some situations this might not be a good scenario. Thanks.,