[SOLVED] Mesh wifi

Philip1993

Prominent
May 6, 2020
hi

bit of a werid one. I've moved in with my in laws and they have just bought a mesh wifi system as my wifes mum needs internet for her work pc. long story short is i dont really have any control over what gets used as its not my house not my internet.

But my problem is since they have started using this mesh it has made my games lag like seriously bad. im talking ever couple of mins it will spike up to 800ms then back down to 30ms. if i unplug the main node from the bt home hub it then goes back to how it was before the mesh which was perfectly fine no lag. i'm not really clued up on the mesh stuff so dont really know what to try or what is causing it if anyone has any help as its near enough at the point of not been able to game at all.

router is a home hub and the mesh they bought is a tenda.

many thanks phil

Solution
hi

bit of a werid one. I've moved in with my in laws and they have just bought a mesh wifi system as my wifes mum needs internet for her work pc. long story short is i dont really have any control over what gets used as its not my house not my internet.

But my problem is since they have started using this mesh it has made my games lag like seriously bad. im talking ever couple of mins it will spike up to 800ms then back down to 30ms. if i unplug the main node from the bt home hub it then goes back to how it was before the mesh which was perfectly fine no lag. i'm not really clued up on the mesh stuff so dont really know what to try or what is causing it if anyone has any help as its near enough at the point of not been able to...

kanewolf

Titan
hi

But my problem is since they have started using this mesh it has made my games lag like seriously bad. im talking ever couple of mins it will spike up to 800ms then back down to 30ms. if i unplug the main node from the bt home hub it then goes back to how it was before the mesh which was perfectly fine no lag. i'm not really clued up on the mesh stuff so dont really know what to try or what is causing it if anyone has any help as its near enough at the point of not been able to game at all.

router is a home hub and the mesh they bought is a tenda.

many thanks phil
Don't use WIFI to game. If you want to game you have to use a wired connection. Ask if you can get an ethernet cable run. Use MoCA (coax adapters), or powerline network adapters.
Or buy your own internet.

Solution
If you're connected to the ethernet on the BTHUB/MODEM than the mesh node will do nothing from being plugged in.

The problem is if something is connected to it, and draining bandwidth. It's inherently a lack of bandwidth, not a mesh node problem.

Most likely with where you live, you probably have FTTC internet. That internet is slow, your country is far behind the rest of the world. Do you know what the internet plan speed is?

Since you're living with your in-laws and saving money, I would suggest upgrading their equipment for them. Do they have cable coaxial outlet in the house? These can be repurposed for internet.

Philip1993

Prominent
May 6, 2020
I don't know what the actually minimum were supposed to get from bt but when ever I've ran speed tests it's always been a good 40-45 Meg

It just all seems weird like everything we have connected to the nodes was also connected to the hub before the mesh so I don't get why its all of a sudden gone laggy