[SOLVED] Meshify C & Kraken x63

Aug 26, 2020
Meshify C & Kraken X63 Fan Setup

Hey all! So my friend just built his first PC on his own and asked me to take a look at it. I’ve built a couple before and am no expert but his fan setup he swears by has me confused.

He is running the
X63 kraken as an exhaust out the front
Rear 120mm as an intake
2 120mm’s up top as an intake...

First off, the rear intake has no dust shield which bothers me, and then his reasoning for the radiator exhausting out the front is so the fans don’t bring air through the hot radiator.

I would think it would be best to flip the radiator around as an intake, and exhaust out the top and the rear. Side note, I will be replacing the 3 stock fractal fans with corsair LL120’s so I’d like to get this right for him.

I asked this on reddit and people told me to mount the radiator to the top, which you cannot because it is too big for the meshify C. Let me know what you guys think

Pic for context as it sits right now

How I imagine the fans/rad should be mounted, ignore the blue circle and the fact that it’s a different case

Once again, any input would be appreciated :)

Solution
I’m curious if it would hurt temps if i flipped the PSU around. It’s rgb and he wants all the RGB he can get but i think that would be too much exhausting from the case?
Not really.
In fan down position, the psu is isolated from the rest of system and has no bearing on airflow at all. The bottom inlet is filtered.
In fan up position, the psu is involved with chassis airflow now - it's gets to compete with the gpu, and it's also getting it's air from the unfiltered PCIe slots.
Up to your buddy how badly he wants the RGB, I suppose.

Also, I recently have read very mixed opinions on the ideal radiator tubes placement is, top vs bottom. Let me know your thoughts!
View...
Meshify C & Kraken X63 Fan Setup

Hey all! So my friend just built his first PC on his own and asked me to take a look at it. I’ve built a couple before and am no expert but his fan setup he swears by has me confused.

He is running the
X63 kraken as an exhaust out the front
Rear 120mm as an intake
2 120mm’s up top as an intake...

First off, the rear intake has no dust shield which bothers me, and then his reasoning for the radiator exhausting out the front is so the fans don’t bring air through the hot radiator.

I would think it would be best to flip the radiator around as an intake, and exhaust out the top and the rear. Side note, I will be replacing the 3 stock fractal fans with corsair LL120’s so I’d like to get this right for him.

I asked this on reddit and people told me to mount the radiator to the top, which you cannot because it is too big for the meshify C. Let me know what you guys think

Pic for context as it sits right now

How I imagine the fans/rad should be mounted, ignore the blue circle and the fact that it’s a different case

Once again, any input would be appreciated :)
You are right, since it doesn't fit at top best to put radiator at front as an intake (doesn't matter if it's push or pull) and case fans all as exhaust, radiator fans would do double duty as case intake fans. Reason is that liquid coolers work on difference of temps on CPU and radiator/water and air coming thru radiator is only few degrees warmer than ambient and are lower than temps inside the case therefore not contributing much to case temps.

Reactions: freyjamhanderson

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
First off, the rear intake has no dust shield which bothers me
All this really means is that dust will accumulate inside the PC faster, so he'll need to clean it out more frequently.
Oh, and dust will especially gather in the radiator and the filter, the latter of which defeats the purpose of having the front filter in the first place:
I'd think most of us would want to reduce dust intake and increase the time window for the next cleaning, not trap it in there and have to clean it more frequently!

his reasoning for the radiator exhausting out the front is so the fans don’t bring air through the hot radiator.
:heink:
Ok, so instead of the radiator's fans drawing in cooler air from his room to pass through the rad, aid in cooling it and the other components, and finally exiting the rear...
The current plan is having those radiator fans draw out already heated air from the other components, thus 'cooling' the radiator with said preheated air, and exiting the chassis. Not so great for whatever is being cooled by the X63...

Well, if thermals are acceptable... more power to him, I guess?

I would think it would be best to flip the radiator around as an intake, and exhaust out the top and the rear
No need to flip the radiator; it's the fans that need to be flipped.

Are you sure those top fans are intake? I'm not seeing the 'bars' that are normally on the 'air out' end of the fans, like with the rear intake.
Those top fans look to be exhaust to me.

Aug 26, 2020
No need to flip the radiator; it's the fans that need to be flipped.
Flip the fans? I was thinking of flipping the radiator to look like this with the fans at the front of the case, not up against the GPU (and have them drawing air into the case, through the radiator fins, towards the GPU/CPU/etc).

Are you sure those top fans are intake? I'm not seeing the 'bars' that are normally on the 'air out' end of the fans, like with the rear intake.
Those top fans look to be exhaust to me.

As for the top fans you may be correct, I would have to look again. I would keep those exhausting and switch the back fan to exhaust as well. That would be a good setup, no?

Aug 26, 2020
You are right, since it doesn't fit at top best to put radiator at front as an intake (doesn't matter if it's push or pull) and case fans all as exhaust.

Is having the radiator fans against the gpu “pulling” generally better for temps than having the fans up against the front of the case “pushing” air into the case? Or is it really just minor temp differences and preference?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Flip the fans? I was thinking of flipping the radiator to look like this with the fans at the front of the case, not up against the GPU (and have them drawing air into the case, through the radiator fins, towards the GPU/CPU/etc).
The difference between this, and this, is the fans, not the radiator, so flip the fans to intake.
Push or pull matters little when against an open mesh panel(Meshify C).
IF the chassis in question were one of the Define series instead, then definitely set the front fans to 'pull intake'.

Aug 26, 2020
The difference between this, and this, is the fans, not the radiator, so flip the fans to intake.
Push or pull matters little when against an open mesh panel(Meshify C).
IF the chassis in question were one of the Define series instead, then definitely set the front fans to 'pull intake'.

Gotcha. I would suppose a pull may be a bit quieter than a push even though it’s mesh?

Aug 26, 2020
There's no difference, same air is going thru radiator fins either way.

No? Because:

https://postimg.cc/Tyf6M5zb

Hey again, here’s the setup we ended with. Let me know what you think about this setup. I know these QL fans suck as rad fans but he insisted so here we are.

I’m curious if it would hurt temps if i flipped the PSU around. It’s rgb and he wants all the RGB he can get but i think that would be too much exhausting from the case?

Also, I recently have read very mixed opinions on the ideal radiator tubes placement is, top vs bottom. Let me know your thoughts!
There's no difference, same air is going thru radiator fins either way.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Not really.
In fan down position, the psu is isolated from the rest of system and has no bearing on airflow at all. The bottom inlet is filtered.
In fan up position, the psu is involved with chassis airflow now - it's gets to compete with the gpu, and it's also getting it's air from the unfiltered PCIe slots.
Up to your buddy how badly he wants the RGB, I suppose.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

Bottom line: it's fine as long as the pump isn't the highest point of the loop. But for front and rear installed radiators, tubing entering the radiator from the bottom is still going to be better in the long run as the liquid slowly permeates the tubes over time.

Solution