Question Messed up, can't remove wraith prism cooler.

HybridXephius

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
So I've built a few computers before on Intel platforms. However, I've just finished my first AMD Ryzen build. Everything runs well, but I am worried about how I installed the Wraith Prism cooler to my 3700x.

I have tried to remove the cooler earlier but was unable to remove one of the Prism's two latches from the motherboard mounting bracket. Specifically, it is the latch that is not on the side of the lever. It seems very secure and I have cut myself when trying to unlatch it.

Any advice on how to get this thing off?

Any advice on how to get this thing off?
I'm with ya, I've been in the same situation. I was way to scared to push down hard on the latch because one previous time the latch slipped off (fast), bounced back and scratched the motherboard damaging memory traces.

What I do fo latched-on heatsinks on AM4 sockets (now) is to actually unscrew the 4 screws holding the plastic clips the latch hooks to. I didn't actually remove the screws, just loosening them enough to also let the plastic cips lift up a bit and that made more than enough room to easily slip the latch off.

Completely removing all four screws will let the backplate fall away. If you've access to back of the case, there is usually a cutout in the motherboard tray to get to it though.

Reactions: HybridXephius

HybridXephius

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
I'm with ya, I've been in the same situation. I was way to scared to push down hard on the latch because one previous time the latch slipped off (fast), bounced back and scratched the motherboard damaging memory traces.

What I do fo latched-on heatsinks on AM4 sockets (now) is to actually unscrew the 4 screws holding the plastic clips the latch hooks to. I didn't actually remove the screws, just loosening them enough to also let the plastic cips lift up a bit and that made more than enough room to easily slip the latch off.

Completely removing all four screws will let the backplate fall away. If you've access to back of the case, there is usually a cutout in the motherboard tray to get to it though.

Sounds good. Now to find a screwdriver small enough loosen the screws.