Question Meta 2 - what pc components to upgrade first

Mar 12, 2023
hi everyone

Will keep it brief- i want to run games such as elite on meta via pc - what components of the pc would (economically) make sense to get the best performance ?

my spec is

Computer: MSI MS-7A40
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Pinnacle Ridge, PiR-B2)
3600 MHz (36.00x100.0) @ 2733 MHz (27.33x100.0)
Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC (MS-7A40)
BIOS: A.60, 03/06/2019
Chipset: AMD B450 (Low-Power Promontory PROM26.A)
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1066 MHz, 15-15-15-36
- 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - G.Skill F4-3200C16-8GVGB
Graphics: Zotac RTX 2070 Mini OC
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070, 8192 MB GDDR6 SDRAM
Drive: ADATA SX6000PNP, 500.1 GB, NVMe
Sound: NVIDIA TU106 - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: AMD Zen - HD Audio Controller
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Network: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168
Network: TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
From what I can gather (and I don't know VR sets well) this Meta 2 is actually a standalone option which doesn't actually require a PC to play?
I do not know what effect PC upgrades would have on the VR experience from that specific set.

Your motherboard supports Ryzen 5xxx with BIOS updates. IMO, that would be the first thing to do.

The 2070 is still a viable graphics card and specifically depending on your resolution may or may not be worth spending to upgrade. Unless I am missing it, I don't see your power supply listed, which would be an important aspect of that upgrade path.

Swapping to 32GB of RAM wouldn't hurt with today's game titles. I would make this low priority though, and more of a see if you need it path.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have 3200MHz Ram, and are running it at 2133MHz. That's @ 20%± loss in performance for a Ryzen.

You listed a bunch of stuff but failed to list the single most important part as far as Ryzen performance goes, the cpu cooler. Any boosts you get to clock speeds when using the cpu hard are directly respondent to the temps the cpu is running, higher temps = loss of boost ability = loss of potential performance.

You have decent equipment to have an enjoyable gaming experience, but skipping out on a bunch of potential performance isn't any different to putting a car in '2' instead of 'D' when driving.

You don't need to replace parts, as such, just fix how you use the ones you have now.

hi everyone

Will keep it brief- i want to run games such as elite on meta via pc - what components of the pc would (economically) make sense to get the best performance ?

my spec is

Computer: MSI MS-7A40
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Pinnacle Ridge, PiR-B2)
3600 MHz (36.00x100.0) @ 2733 MHz (27.33x100.0)
Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC (MS-7A40)
BIOS: A.60, 03/06/2019
Chipset: AMD B450 (Low-Power Promontory PROM26.A)
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1066 MHz, 15-15-15-36
Graphics: Zotac RTX 2070 Mini OC
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070, 8192 MB GDDR6 SDRAM
Drive: ADATA SX6000PNP, 500.1 GB, NVMe
Sound: NVIDIA TU106 - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: AMD Zen - HD Audio Controller
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Network: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168
Network: TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter
Hey there,

You system is pretty nice for VR Via Airlink/Link Cable for the PC. My PC has similar hardware as yours, maybe slightly stronger. Half Life Alyx, F1 22, Star Wars: Squadrons (play it with a HOTAS controller - It's stunning.) all run very smooth, even changing up to 90hz/120 for games that support it. Over all it should be good. You could always pop in a 5700x/5800x3d for a nice boost too. The X3d models are particularly good in VR as I understand it.

Elite doesn't require much grunt at all. Your system should play it very smoothly.

Reactions: Manaquin1980
Mar 12, 2023
You have 3200MHz Ram, and are running it at 2133MHz. That's @ 20%± loss in performance for a Ryzen.

You listed a bunch of stuff but failed to list the single most important part as far as Ryzen performance goes, the cpu cooler. Any boosts you get to clock speeds when using the cpu hard are directly respondent to the temps the cpu is running, higher temps = loss of boost ability = loss of potential performance.

You have decent equipment to have an enjoyable gaming experience, but skipping out on a bunch of potential performance isn't any different to putting a car in '2' instead of 'D' when driving.

You don't need to replace parts, as such, just fix how you use the ones you have now.

Hey mate

Thanks very much for that info .
The CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-L9A-AM4, 37mm.
The case is a Node 202
Didn't even realise about the ram speed issue thanks !

Mar 12, 2023
Hey there,

You system is pretty nice for VR Via Airlink/Link Cable for the PC. My PC has similar hardware as yours, maybe slightly stronger. Half Life Alyx, F1 22, Star Wars: Squadrons (play it with a HOTAS controller - It's stunning.) all run very smooth, even changing up to 90hz/120 for games that support it. Over all it should be good. You could always pop in a 5700x/5800x3d for a nice boost too. The X3d models are particularly good in VR as I understand it.

Elite doesn't require much grunt at all. Your system should play it very smoothly.

Hey mate

Thanks for replying !

Well I wasn't sure if my rig was decent or not tbh. I downloaded elite and all dlc and it's really jittery.
I turned down refresh rate to min u can in vr and that helped but thought maybe my rig needed updating as I'm no tech guy

Mar 12, 2023
From what I can gather (and I don't know VR sets well) this Meta 2 is actually a standalone option which doesn't actually require a PC to play?
I do not know what effect PC upgrades would have on the VR experience from that specific set.

Your motherboard supports Ryzen 5xxx with BIOS updates. IMO, that would be the first thing to do.

The 2070 is still a viable graphics card and specifically depending on your resolution may or may not be worth spending to upgrade. Unless I am missing it, I don't see your power supply listed, which would be an important aspect of that upgrade path.

Swapping to 32GB of RAM wouldn't hurt with today's game titles. I would make this low priority though, and more of a see if you need it path.
[/QUOTE

Hey man. Thanks for replying

Re the mother board - you mean uodtse the bios right? Or board itself ?

The game was very jittery so thought maybe my rig as it's 4 yes old

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Hey man. Thanks for replying

Re the mother board - you mean uodtse the bios right? Or board itself ?

The game was very jittery so thought maybe my rig as it's 4 yes old

Yes, if you look on your mobo manufacturers website under compatibility, it will tell you what CPU can be supported by the board as well as the BIOS revision you need to be on for it to work. Make sure to pay close attention to the notes for every BIOS revision in between as in some cases you MUST install one (or more) of them prior to going higher.

Apr 13, 2023

pcvr games can be played on the quest 2 when they normally cant as standalone