Metro 2033 Lagging badly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
No.
My next gpu is a 7970 in jan-feb time.
This 480 is going to my brother ;)
And yes it is a EVGA SC (bios flashed).
Originally a Point of view TGT.

I also though about waiting for the HD7000 series but once i saw the first reviews i changed my mind, that card is mind blowing for a single card but lets not forget the price which is going to be be around 550~600$ if i am not mistaken... For that kind of money you can get more powerful solutions though they will all be SLI or CF configs with all their inherent problems but in my case i spent 400€ (less 100€ than a 7970) and the resulst can be seen here (just scroll down a bit and check the result i got on 3Dmark11)...
But if you really want a single card i would probably wait for the Kepler GPUs...
nvidia-gtx-600-the-power-of-future.jpg

If that graph is correct i think AMD is in big trouble...

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

Tomorow after reinstalling the OS i am going to test it again... I have recently upgraded almost my entire system (motherboard, cpu, ram and vga's) and haven't reinstalled the OS so i think there must be a lot of stuff here messing with registries and drivers...

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

Not yet, the problem is when i turn on the advanced physics option but that shouldn't be a problem which makes it one... i think it's something with the drivers or the PhysicX software...

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

I am going to disable it and see what i get but with my previous card which was a GTX 570 i didn't had any trouble with dof, but i was in DX10 mode without tessellation and some other stuff which i don't remember, but as far as i have seen in a lot of other games that use DOF it never seemed a demanding effect... but i believe that in metro, having all the settings maxed out (at 1920x1080 in my case) makes us exceed the 1GB of our 560's and that is the problem...

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

Did you had DOF enabled with the 580?

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Damm... i enabled the advanced physicX and disabled DOF and now i am getting an average of 70~80fps and the lowest i have seen it going was 38fps with fraps in that part on the beginning where we get surrounded by those mutants...

And is that better than you were getting before? :whistle:

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

Much better but i still think i am having vram limitations...
Before i was having an average of 70fps but when i fired a gun or did anything else that used the physics engine the game dropped to 2-3fps and then stayed that way for a few seconds even after all the particles had disappeared, now i don't have any physics problems with advanced DOF disabled... i guess it's really a vram issue since dof and physics have nothing in common apart from having data being stored on the vram (i think)

Are you still running in SLi? Have you tried downclocking the the cards to 822mhz?

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

Yep... still running in sli... and no... i haven't tried downclocking the cards, why should i? Do you think this may be instability problems?
These cards already come with a factory OC of 58Mhz (880Mhz), i only raised it by 50Mhz...

btw... you just reached 32000 posts =)

Your cards were clocked @880mhz were they not? I have found that there seems to be times when my cards will not like running @900mhz but they run just fine and stable @825mhz. I've only tried a few DX10 and DX11 titles though due to time constraints.

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I am goint to run some tests tomorow but right now i am barely managing to keep my eyes open, it's 4am here and i have too much blood in the caffeine... Tomorrow i will reinstall the OS and run some tests and then i'll let you guys know the results...

Thanks for all the help so far...

karash5050

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I just finished Metro2033 with settings on "High" / Advanced PhysX OFF at 1920x1200 res. "Very High" produced a framerate that was playable but just not as smooth as I like. I am running the following:

2x MSI GTX560Ti Hawk
Core i7 920 @ 2.8Ghz (133x21 multiplier..this is turbo mode)
6GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600

I am also running it under DX11 and the factory-default clocks for my cards (950 Core / 1900 Shader / 2100 Memory) and I have yet to run into any problems with the game at all. It's by far the most stable game I've played in a long time, as well.

I haven't read every single post but if someone missed it, perhaps you should defrag. :p And set up your OS environment to have as few services as required Win7 Config by Black Viper

I did note that with Adv PhysX and depth of field turned on, I had a nasty decrease in framerate, but with them off everything was like butter, and there really is no comparable difference in gameplay or visuals(at least to me).