Mic Being Recognized as Headphones

Nikachuu

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
I plug my external mic into my combo audio jack and Relatek HD audio asks me if I connected:

1. Headphones
2. Speaker out

It's a microphone, damnit! Why is Realtek recognizing it as a playback device?!!

Edit: I have an Asus X550D Windows 8 PC.

Solution
I may be playing the misinterpreting game here again but... The mic you currently have is probably being recognized as a headset device as it may have an audio out on it somewhere therefore acting as an audio output device. If you right click on the device in device manager you should be able to configure the proprieties from there. Either way with the new adapter it will show up as a headset and not 2 separate devices I believe, Higgs you can correct me if I am wrong :)

Nikachuu

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
Cheapy 30$ Sony external mic, Philips SHP2000 headphones. Earlier, I tried connecting them both with a Splitter, but that didnt work. Realtek just recognized them as one playback device. Even when I plug the mic in by itself without the splitter it asks if it's a headphones or speaker out.

HiggsPrime

Honorable
Apr 19, 2014
Hello Nikachu,

On the back of your motherboard there are 6 jack ports. Bottom 3 are way too advanced, the top three is where most the thenjack connect. Now the red are the headphones the green are for MIC while the other can be used for listening music from phone or sound output from PC.

I want you to connect the mic to green one and see what happens. If it recognises as headphone\speaker, switch it to red/pink one.

Hope this helps.

Nikachuu

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015

Hold on, you want me to open up my laptop and get to my motherboard???

Nikachuu

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015

I have a combo jack, which is one jack for both headphones and mics, but you can obviously only use one at a time. However, anything I now plug into it is recognized as a headhpone set or speaker, no matter what it is.

HiggsPrime

Honorable
Apr 19, 2014
Help Nichachu,

Firstly you don't mention that its PC or a Laptop. Secondly you need thishttp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CPEZ4J6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

A splitter for both mic and headphone for one. There should be no problem, even if realtek prompts you then go for headphone set.

Next time do mention if its PC, laptop, cellphone or tablet. Hope this helps ☺

Nikachuu

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015

Thanks for your help :)

However, that doesn't fix the immediate problem of my Mic being recognized as a headphone set. With this adapter fix that? I have been able to use this mic with this PC in the past, I'm wodering if using my headphone splitter messed something up.

HiggsPrime

Honorable
Apr 19, 2014

happy to help :)

That adapter will definately solve the issue. Also the current splitter you are using connect it, clikc on Headphones and click on OK. then go to MIC test from control panel. If your MIC does not work let me know here again.

-HH-

Dignified
I may be playing the misinterpreting game here again but... The mic you currently have is probably being recognized as a headset device as it may have an audio out on it somewhere therefore acting as an audio output device. If you right click on the device in device manager you should be able to configure the proprieties from there. Either way with the new adapter it will show up as a headset and not 2 separate devices I believe, Higgs you can correct me if I am wrong :)

Solution
Feb 10, 2019
Help Nichachu,

Firstly you don't mention that its PC or a Laptop. Secondly you need thishttp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CPEZ4J6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

A splitter for both mic and headphone for one. There should be no problem, even if realtek prompts you then go for headphone set.

Help Nichachu,

I'm facing the same problem. But I have a splitter. Still it recognises my microphone as a headphone

TRENDING THREADS