Question Mic is cutting out in multiple programs but not “listen to self”

Jan 1, 2022
my microphone (at2040) with scarlett solo and cloudlifter, suddenly started cutting out midway through playing a game with friends.

i was in discord with them and my mic suddenly started “cutting out and popping.” it’s also doing this in the in-game chat in fortnite as well. however when i go to system sounds and enable playback through my microphone, it sounds perfectly loud and clear.

i tried disabling my VPN just incase it was an internet issue, but the issue persisted. also when i do the audio tester in discord it sounds all choppy and messed up, but again when i listen to my microphone through my computers settings, it’s perfectly clear, i checked several components, checked connections, tried without the cloudlifter, swapped out the cables with a spare, messed around with the settings, but i cannot narrow it down to one thing.

i installed a virtual webcam program, and i have been having issues with my GPU drivers lately, but have since resolved the issue and uninstalled the virtual webcam. currently doing a system restore point from a couple days ago to see if it will fix this issue.

Jan 1, 2022
just a little update, i did the system restore, it didn’t fix it.

however i did try a different microphone and the issue persists…

reminder… everything was working fine and then randomly stopped working, all i was doing was playing a game talking to friends in discord when it stopped working right about halfway through, suddenly.