Mic picking up computer sounds?

judson97

Honorable
May 18, 2013
I'm using a turtle beach x11 on a home built computer, although I had this problem with my last computer aswell.

Problem is, when there is input to my computer, eg a mouse scroll, I get this really annoying bleeping/buzzing sound which the computer is making. I have no idea why it does this, but if I record myself I can hear it in the recordings aswell. I'ts really frustrating and I need help fixing it.

It's not the headset, as I've used 3 headsets and 2 pairs of earphones and it does it on each one.

Steps I have tried:

Updating to latest Realtek drivers
Using front audio port rather than rear
Plugging my computer directly to a socket (no extension cord)

I do not have "listen to this device" enabled and I'm really stuck for what to do, any help is much appreciated :)

Sound: [video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcNdXWD2njQ&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

judson97

Honorable
May 18, 2013

Yes
No
Yes

Well if it happened on your last PC and it happens with more than just the Turtle Beach headset, the source might be from something else. Your component(s) might be acting like an antenna, picking up this noise.

Did your last PC share any of this rigs components?
Are you extending your USB cabling or audio pass cabling at all?
Have you tried adding in a discreet sound card and using it instead of on-board audio?

judson97

Honorable
May 18, 2013

Nah they have completely different specs, as my last computer was like 5 years out of date :p
The cabling has not been extended at all, although turtle beaches come with like a 5 meter cable...
I haven't bothered to purchase a sound card before as it didn't bother me that much. At the moment I'm a jobless student, so I don't really want to buy one unless it's absolutely necessary. If that's the only solution, I will purchase one when I get a job but for now is there any sort of temporary solution I could try?

About the only advice I can think of is to experiment with moving the physical location of the PC, especially if it is near other electronic equipment such as a home receiver with an amplifier or un-shielded speakers.

The microphone in that headset uses a condenser microphone and the shielding might be inadequate for its location. I would speculate that it is receiving its phantom power via the USB bus and you have what is turning out to be a powered antenna via the cabling, that can pick up some nearby electromagnetic interference/radiation. Have you tried a headset that uses a dynamic microphone?

It is possible you might be able to tinker with some power management settings within the operating system and/or BIOS to effect this. Do you use wireless networking or a physical LAN cable for internet?

judson97

Honorable
May 18, 2013

I could try moving my computer around but I'm not sure how much that's going to do. The way I have my computer set up at the moment is on the floor, under a table. On top of the table I have my monitor, but surely the monitor won't be affecting it if there is a large gap and a wooden table between them?

Unfortunately I don't have access to a dynamic microphone so I have not tried that.

I use an Ethernet cable for internet.

judson97

Honorable
May 18, 2013

I added a video so you can hear the sound.