Micro ATX $700-900 Budget gaming office PC

galeb

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: By end of September 2012

Budget Range: $700-900

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (DDO, CIV 5 nothing really new and taxing here); OpenOffice; Surfing sometimes streaming HULU.

Are you buying a monitor: No (the one I have works great, but I'd like to upgrade in a year or two)

Parts to Upgrade: Case (preference below) CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU, DVD drive, graphics card (looking at HD 7770)
Keeping current HDD its a 300GB Hitachi, not interested in SSD due to current prices but all info/recommendations/reasons to get one are welcome.

Do you need to buy OS: maybe, still using Windows XP, can upgrade anytime just comfortable with what I've got

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: Micro ATX for the smaller case dimensions.
Been using AMD for past 10 years and happy with it on both PCs, however if intel is the better option price/performance I'm ready to switch.
Prefer Nvidia GPU in the past, but I like the price/performance and power draw from the Radeon HD 7770

IN WIN Z583T.CQ350TB3L Black Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case - the dimensions (desk fit), front Audio/USB 3 are what I like here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108420

Overclocking: Maybe, never OC before

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 Someday (year or two) might upgrade most likely to the 1920 range 2ms response 23/24" .

Additional Comments: Quiet PC please. Power usage is a concern I work at home mostly so PC is on all day (it sleeps when I sleep). Often I'm afk from a game while listening to Pandora or WMP with OpenOffice running.
Most used Software:
DDO Unlimited (an MMO main game currently playing)
OpenOffice
Windows Media Player (music)
Media player home classic (movies)
Civilization V
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy (possibly the most taxing game I have atm, I rarely play anymore)
Will most likely get the new X-COM Enemy Unknown game, but might wait till its Game of the Year edition.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Wife's PC needs upgrading but it doesn't get used much so the plan is to swap my current build (minus HDD) into her case, upgrade mine and use my old case and her old parts for a temp HTPC.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
My system in an ITX case is a ivy bridge i5-3570k with a radeon 7750. Honestly the newly released i3 will probably be nearly as strong for most games and $60.00 cheaper. I'm sure it will be the best bang for the buck. The 7770 is an excellent card and I would have gone with it if my case allowed for a 2 slot card.

You are on the right track however.

Solution

galeb

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Thank you for the replies. So far going mostly with Proximon's suggestions, but have a few more questions.
I have not used more than 200GB (under 150GB for last 9 months at least) storage in a few years, is there any real benefit of having 500GB/1TB excluding the logic that I might someday want/use that much space. Would a 250-300GB drive work till I add an SSD?
Also the PSU calc at extreme shows me not needing more than 380W accounting for 50% aging does that seem right. Wanting a modular PSU now, any good recommends. Looking at OCZ-ZT550W,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341050

galeb

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Thanks again for the replies went mostly with Proximon's suggestions. Kept with the In Win case since it fits desk better and got LG DVD with free shipping promo codes on newegg along with slightly cheaper memory to keep cost well under budget. Can't wait to put it together.