Micro Atx case motherboard compatibility

WorldEater

Prominent
May 18, 2017
I have a motherboard which is mATX. It only has one PCIe x16 slot and it's almost at the edge of the board (about a cm from the edge.. as opposed to near the CPU) will I still be able to use a 2 slot GPU in mATX cases?
1st pc build so I don't really know :p
Also if that does work, any suggestions for sub £30 mATX cases? Thanks

Solution
What's your mATX (brand/model). The 2-slot GPU can still be fitted even if the PCIe x16 slot is almost at the edge of the board. What you want is an mATX case with ~5 expansion slots so that the dual-slot GPU will not be too close to the case's frame or shroud.
What's your mATX (brand/model). The 2-slot GPU can still be fitted even if the PCIe x16 slot is almost at the edge of the board. What you want is an mATX case with ~5 expansion slots so that the dual-slot GPU will not be too close to the case's frame or shroud.

Solution

WorldEater

Prominent
May 18, 2017
It's a bit unusual - it's a server motherboard from a hp proliant. But it seems to be pretty much standardised.. it is mAtx, 24 pin motherboard connector etc. I shall have a look around for some 5 slot cases..
I would attatch a picture but it's so annoying I have to put a link to it :(

WorldEater

Prominent
May 18, 2017

https://ibb.co/mBTkNa
^^ mobo
Had a quick look on scan.co.uk but there is only one five slot case I could see.. and is was £50..
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/aerocool-qs240-gaming-mini-tower-computer-chassis-micro-atx-mini-itx-black-with-window-2x-usb30
This would be great but it almost certainly wouldn't fit a 2 slot graphics card from that pcie slot

WorldEater

Prominent
May 18, 2017

Yeah that's the £50 one I said..
ideally it would be mATX because I do want it to be compact but it looks like I would have to get a full/mid atx case.. I like the idea of using a pcie riser which would solve problems but there aren't many cases around that implement those.. ( for £30 there are none ;p )