News Micro Center Adding Three New Stores: Indianapolis Opens in June

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
The problem I have with Micro Center is that they exploit consumers. Since it's a long drive to the nearest one to me they only get my business when they have something I want or need now. While their prices are generally competitive they aren't better than I can typically find online including delivery. Making me drive a long distance to purchase a product they could sell me online does not encourage me to buy more from them.

I fully understand that getting people in stores can cause many to buy other items they never intended to buy but that's not how I roll. It may be there Biz model but it doesn't work well for me when I am inconvenienced to make a purchase at their store a long ways from my home.

so because microcenter doesnt ship products, they are exploiting customers? sounds more like a you problem and not a microcenter problem.

Leptir

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
microcenter doesnt ship products

They do ship some products. I was looking at an MSI motherboard about a month ago, NewEgg and Amazon didn't have it, and my local Micro Center was out of stock too. But they had one in a store on the other side of the country and they shipped it to my home address.

But I agree with your point, if TechieTwo does't like to shop at Micro Center, he doesn't have to. His preferences are not Micro Center's fault.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
To me the mystery is why Fry's or CompUSA could not figure out a good, sustainable business model.
In the 90's, I'd hear stories about Fry's and it sounded like a computer wonderland I wished I had near me. When I moved near a Microcenter, it seemed generally unremarkable (CompUSA-like, I guess), except for the books section. It was one of the best tech bookstores in my area, having a selection that skewed a bit more academic than you'd find at Borders or Barnes & Noble.

As for CompUSA, I think they grew fat on the PC boom of the late 90's, but I guess didn't have a cost structure that could weather online competition. The last thing I bought there was a PS3, because their bankruptcy liquidation meant they had a blanket 10%+ discount on everything, and that made it the cheapest place to get one. A couple years before that, I really needed a laptop but ended up storming out of one after a sales guy refused to sell me the one I wanted (probably because it was on sale).

Getting back to Microcenter, I think they did a good job of capitalizing on gaming and the whole Maker movement. They replaced the bookstore section with some kind of Gamer Zone (I didn't mind, since I got some sweet deals on aforementioned academic books during the liquidation sales). Recently, I bought a CPU there, because it was $10 cheaper than I'd ever seen it online. Even though it's only about 20 minutes away, I typically only visit once every couple years.

Come to think of it, I also once bought a i7-4770K there that I gave as a gift, since it was a whopping 10% cheaper than the best online price. That time, I didn't even buy anything else. I don't know how they can afford to do that, unless they're selling them at-cost and just hoping you buy some other stuff.

Last edited:

Quenepas

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2014
Best computer store bar none. Got a great "in-person-only" 12700k + z690 mobo for $350 a few months ago. While I was there also got 32gb of ram for $88. Crucial NVME 2tb for $120 and a 6650XT for $250. New case $88 and the old PSU and drives were reused. Basically my new computer was less than $1k.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As to pricing, I generally see that even some of their in-store deals aren't that good, sometimes even a little higher than delivered items. Sometimes they are amazing and those are definitely loss leaders hoping to get you to pick up other stuff at more normal prices. If they sell them at cost, the hope is you do pick up an SSD at normal retail.

What I like is the capability to buy expensive items in person and take them directly home. Every time I order something, particularly the larger items, they come in their original packaging screaming to the world that there is an $800 monitor and it will sit there half the day on my doorstep. Haven't lost anything yet, but it is bound to happen. Or when I order small things, and they just shove an SSD or RAM in an plastic envelope. Good thing clam shells are pretty tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgentBirdnest
D

Deleted member 14196

I’ve got one not far from me if I ever feel the need to build a gaming box

anonymousdude

Distinguished
My only issue with microcenter is high pressure sales people wanting to assist at every turn while you are browsing, reminds me of the glory days of Fry's (RIP). I am sure the aggressive help has something to do with their compensation structure.

I am more of a browser than buyer at microcenter, but it is nice to get some clickety keyboards and try some gadgets out. I do appreciate the electrical component side of their stores and when you need something now its great to have one. Store pickup works really well to (and avoid the salesman). I hope they can grow organically and survive.
My thoughts :

How are people only spending 45 minutes in the store?

Everything about Microcenter is old school retail except the products. The Denver store is very dense with product and "eager" sales reps. When I went this last weekend it was the busiest and best stocked I've ever seen it.

They definitely don't pay for premium location. When people are coming from states away they don't need drive-by business. The Denver store is behind a 7-11 and a Falafel shop and next door to a shoe repair store.

I've never experienced the high pressure or "eager" salesman at the Denver store. I've always just told them I'm browsing when they ask and they leave it at that. Other times when I do need help like with finding something or with getting stuff out of the case it's been a pleasant experience.

The Denver store I wouldn't describe as a premium location, but it's not terrible either. It's in the Denver Texh Center right off the highway.

eye4bear

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
I had friends who used to live in Detroit, and I got to visit the store there once. Damn, I immediately wanted one here is South Florida, and reading this article only brought back all that envy. I believe the closest one to me is in Atlanta, about a 12 hour drive each way... Even if they ever decide to open one here, I imagine it would be in Orlando due to its central location. Well, now that is only 3 hours each way....

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
In the 90's, I'd hear stories about Fry's and it sounded like a computer wonderland I wished I had near me. When I moved near a Microcenter, it seemed generally unremarkable (CompUSA-like, I guess), except for the books section. It was one of the best tech bookstores in my area, having a selection that skewed a bit more academic than you'd find at Borders or Barnes & Noble.

As for CompUSA, I think they grew fat on the PC boom of the late 90's, but I guess didn't have a cost structure that could weather online competition. The last thing I bought there was a PS3, because their bankruptcy liquidation meant they had a blanket 10%+ discount on everything, and that made it the cheapest place to get one. A couple years before that, I really needed a laptop but ended up storming out of one after a sales guy refused to sell me the one I wanted (probably because it was on sale).

Getting back to Microcenter, I think they did a good job of capitalizing on gaming and the whole Maker movement. They replaced the bookstore section with some kind of Gamer Zone (I didn't mind, since I got some sweet deals on aforementioned academic books during the liquidation sales). Recently, I bought a CPU there, because it was $10 cheaper than I'd ever seen it online. Even though it's only about 20 minutes away, I typically only visit once every couple years.

Come to think of it, I also once bought a i7-4770K there that I gave as a gift, since it was a whopping 10% cheaper than the best online price. That time, I didn't even buy anything else. I don't know how they can afford to do that, unless they're selling them at-cost and just hoping you buy some other stuff.

Good points.

I think some of it was over expansion too. In the 15 years I've lived in San Diego we've had only one MicroCenter near by (LA) and they have never opened a new store anywhere else in the area. I grew up in the Mid West in the 90s and there were 5 CompUSAs in about a 10 mile radius, most of them opened in the late 90s.

Reactions: bit_user
Semi-astonished to see CompUSA still was in operation on the net. Wiki says they had at least 229 stores at their peak.

I just spent 30 seconds on their web site and it told me all I needed to know.

Who can resist this on their "contact" tab:

"Fill out the form with any quarry on your mind"

Reactions: bit_user

USAFRet

Titan
Semi-astonished to see CompUSA still was in operation on the net. Wiki says they had at least 229 stores at their peak.

I just spent 30 seconds on their web site and it told me all I needed to know.

Who can resist this on their "contact" tab:

"Fill out the form with any quarry on your mind"
They exist in name only.
IIRC, the same corporate also owns CircuitCity, TigerDirect, Systemax.

bitbucket

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I don't know that this store will survive as Indy doesn't seem to really embrace tech. They had a Fry's, technically in Fishers, it didn't do so well. This is in a better location. It's also on the affluent north side but closer to the city than Fry's so maybe that will help but I have my doubts. Hopefully I'm wrong and it does well.

Oct 20, 2022
. While their prices are generally competitive they aren't better than I can typically find online including delivery.

I don't believe Microcenter really cares if you are a customer. Keep having your pc components delivered from Amazon and Newegg to your mom's basement, and good luck with the returns when your motherboard/RAM doesn't post.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't know that this store will survive as Indy doesn't seem to really embrace tech. They had a Fry's, technically in Fishers, it didn't do so well. This is in a better location. It's also on the affluent north side but closer to the city than Fry's so maybe that will help but I have my doubts. Hopefully I'm wrong and it does well.

I think you will find that the % of DIY PC people is about the same everywhere. Total population in average driving range might be too low though.

I used to go to Indy Frys even when it was an hour+ drive. Bought a GPU or two there, monitor once, tv tuner. There was a time when my local town had neither Best Buy or Circuit City. But there was a Best Buy in Greenwood (South of Indy), but Frys was always the place to go for components before internet shopping really took off.

I think the problem with the Indy Frys was that it was huge and most common electronics could easily be gotten at a more convenient Best Buy locations. The specialty stuff they stocked was likely what kept them afloat for as long as it did. Networking tools, soldering tools, and other assorted stuff you couldn't get a Best Buy.

I can recall the first time we made a trip to get there. Just before cell phones were useful and in car navigation, so we had printed out driving instructions. The street it was on changes names at that intersection. So if you came one way it had a street sign that said something else, and you couldn't actually see the store from the road used to access it, kind of had to loop around behind an interstate on-ramp and it was nestled back there. (Probably didn't help walk-in traffic either) We must have driven past it four times.

mikeebb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
SO GLAD the only one in CA is only 1 exit away from my work.
So NOT glad that the only one in California is a 8-10 hour drive from me (Sacramento area). Since Fry's closed, the selection of places to do any in-person shopping has been limited to Best Buy or Staples(!). Of course, for the last few years they were open, Fry's stores were kind of sad - mostly empty shelves. And they did have a well-deserved reputation for re-selling returns and refurbs, to watch out for. Micro Center, by reputation anyway, seems to be a little less dodgy operation.

Leaves me with mostly the online stuff, and I really don't see much difference in product quality and (lack of) support between Amazon and Newegg. At least Best Buy has some stuff in-store or deliverable the next day. Don't ignore Staples, either; for accessories, supplies, and printers they can be very competitive, and often have common stuff stocked in the store.

Reactions: cyrusfox

Co BIY

Splendid
I've never experienced the high pressure or "eager" salesman at the Denver store. I've always just told them I'm browsing when they ask and they leave it at that. Other times when I do need help like with finding something or with getting stuff out of the case it's been a pleasant experience.

Nothing wrong with the staff. Helpful and knowledgable. Maybe I shouldn't have put quotes around the eager.

The Denver store I wouldn't describe as a premium location, but it's not terrible either. It's in the Denver Tech Center right off the highway.

Agreed. Although I'd argue it's DTC adjacent.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
I had friends who used to live in Detroit, and I got to visit the store there once. Damn, I immediately wanted one here is South Florida, and reading this article only brought back all that envy. I believe the closest one to me is in Atlanta, about a 12 hour drive each way... Even if they ever decide to open one here, I imagine it would be in Orlando due to its central location. Well, now that is only 3 hours each way....

you might be in luck friend
https://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/news/2022/09/09/micro-center-coming-to-south-florida.html#:~:text=A Hilliard, Ohio-based computer,will be its 26th location.

(6) New Micro Center Location Coming Soon! - Miami, FL - : Microcenter (reddit.com)

May 19, 2023
SO GLAD the only one in CA is only 1 exit away from my work.
That's the store that used to be in my area. I live in the Bay Area. Used to be a Micro Center in Santa Clara YEARS AGO.

Used to go there alot. That is, until they decided to move. Found out later that they moved to Tustin, CA, which is so far away.😔

Would love for one of those new, upcoming stores is placed in the Bay Area. Especially, since Fry's Electronics is gone. There is Central Computer, but that never became a goto place, for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.