Question Micro-stutter and frame skipping/hitching on whole system ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
For the past week idk what has been going with my pc but ive gotten 3 blue screens 2 were the same stop code and 1 had zero. The first one happened when I plugged in a USB device, the second happened opening an application the third happened with the GPU. I suspect it was software which i accordingly uninstalled completely. The blue screens stopped as far as i know but now for some reason after prolonged use of the computer i get very subtle micro stutters even when im idle, almost like i skipped a frame or froze for a very brief micro second.

I started with the GPU being the culprit so i updated the driver and was prompted to update its vbios. The stuttering did not go away, a few days later I get a bsod from the GPU crashing probably from the slight OC it received from before (I forgot to set default clocks after updating vbios). I reset it to defaults and uninstalled any gpu software that wasnt aorus engine that could conflict with it. No more bsods after that. But the stuttering still remained.

I spent hours trying to figure what it could be I even downloaded a latency monitor to check for pagefaults and bad drivers. Its 3 different probable drivers, DirectX, Audio driver, or a windows driver which indicated RAM. I tested the RAM it had no errors. I set pagefile to windows default to control it. I run my OS on an SSD, I checked health for all drives said good. Still happens, idk what else to do but its either uninstall the GPU drivers using DDU or clean wipe windows which i really dont want to have to do. Oh and last thing I did all the commands to scan for corrupted files nothing.

As side note I dont know if its a windows update either, and also I notice everytime the stutter happens something is spiking Core4 then it stops, i suspect a driver once again still have no idea which driver though.

So im at a loss here, I really dont want to reinstall windows only to have it be the same so im ruling that out until i know for sure its fully windows at fault and not anything else.

Specs
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz (Cooled with Corsair H110i)
Motherboard: MSI Z390 Gaming Plus MPG Motherboard
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS Elite REV 2.0 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (OC'd Core clock 1465MHz and 1865MHz Boost) (Been OC'd for several months)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw V Series 4x8GB 32GB 3200MHz DDR4
Hard Drive#1: Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB
Hard Drive#2: Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB
Solid State Drive#3: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD
Solid State Drive#4: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Solid State Drive#5: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe M.2 (Windows Drive)
Solid State Drive#6: Crucial P2 3D NAND NVMe M.2 2TB SSD
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Gold SSR-650FM 650W 80+ Gold

Things that I know are not the problem:
-Temps on both the GPU and CPU (All temps are normal)
-Bios Update (I've been using the same bios version the board came with without any problems up until now it would not make sense for it to be the bios)
-CPU and RAM Clocks (Again zero sense as its been the same for the longest time without a problem like this)
-PSU (Also would not make sense, even did test monitoring voltages and main draw, nothing)
-RAM (already did extensive testing its not it)
-No corrupt windows files and all command lines to check disk, dism, sfc all ran without problems
-Uninstalling previously installed software
-Updating graphics drivers (Have not yet tried DDU for clean wipe)

Additional info if not clarified above:
-BSoD Codes are as follows pfn_list_corrupt and a blank BSoD caused by the GPU due to conflicting OC software. The PFN bsod was caused by driver ntoskrnl.exe (If you know this driver you know it could be anything)
-Stuttering happens after a few hours of computer use.
-No audio stutter.
-Used LatencyMon to monitor faults and response time. See screenshots
- Uninstalled software after the blue screens (AirDroid, RGBFusion, MSI Afterburner) [Afterburner because the fan curves were not working on the Gigabyte card and no settings would ever stick, so it was dead weight with Aorus Engine already installed. RGBFusion because opening it caused an instant Bsod one time and also the RGB settings stopped sticking also]
-Nvidia Driver update from 511 too 516.
-Vbios update was installed through Aorus Engine (Might be the problem and i have no idea how to go about reverting it, what I do know though is that the GPU has 2 vbios modes; silent mode and OC Mode)
-Restarting fixes the issue for a short while then it starts again.

If you want crash dmps of the bsods i can give them just lmk.

yaKcis2.jpg

ZjzKORX.jpg

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
I would start by removing Aorus engine. Then I would do a ddu clean wipe of drivers and fresh install of new gpu driver. See if that helps.
Ran DDU clean wiped everything for the gpu drivers. Uninstalled Aorus Engine and reinstalled after. So far no significant interruptions shown on LatencyMon. System still feels rather jittery. I still dont know whether its CPU or not, every CPU test i've ran said it is running fine.

On a side note i tried updating the realtek audio drivers and for some reason it failed to install the audio console then it kept boot looping, I was forced to do a system restore from yesterday thankfully i did this before I ran DDU. Not gonna bother touching those drivers they seem be practically made of milk.

Sorry I meant to remove Aorus engine and see if it smooths out. If it does, I would recommend using Msi Afterburner to control gpu clocking. I have seen many problems with Arous engine. Just wanted to see if it was part of the problem with the micro stutters and other problems. Also, could you possibly post your Nvidia 3d settings? Realtek drivers are so touchy, and poorly sorted.

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
Sorry I meant to remove Aorus engine and see if it smooths out. If it does, I would recommend using Msi Afterburner to control gpu clocking. I have seen many problems with Arous engine. Just wanted to see if it was part of the problem with the micro stutters and other problems. Also, could you possibly post your Nvidia 3d settings? Realtek drivers are so touchy, and poorly sorted.

BusO8wG.jpg

ZDups7B.jpg

Z6LPsBM.jpg

I think i mentioned MSI afterburner does not want to change the fan curves in anyway no matter what I did. Thats why im staying on Aorus Engine.

gggirlgeek

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
What stutters? Could it be your mouse/keyboard? Your monitor? I get keyboard stutters when my wireless dongle isn't plugged into a usb extension cord and mounted higher and/or closer to me.

Also try disabling Windows update service temporarily and see if that helps.

Personally, I always keep a copy of Windows installed on another partition just for this type of problem. I use backup images (Aomei backupper) to copy my working setup. Then, when I have a problem I just boot into the other partition and compare. Sometimes have to restore recent images until I trace down the culprit. At the very least you would know if it's hardware or software related.

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
Like skipping frames stutters, the mouse looks like it skips around sometimes. And again I notice higher then normal spikes on the cpu when that happens, something is causing it and its still undetermined what it is whether its hardware or not.

Windows update is always disabled for me.

In the 3d setting, your dsr is set at what resolution? It seems like it is set very high? You can also turn off triple buffering. Again I would just see if anything changes if Aorus is uninstalled because of this------->BSoD Codes are as follows pfn_list_corrupt and a blank BSoD caused by the GPU due to conflicting OC software

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
In the 3d setting, your dsr is set at what resolution? It seems like it is set very high? You can also turn off triple buffering. Again I would just see if anything changes if Aorus is uninstalled because of this------->BSoD Codes are as follows pfn_list_corrupt and a blank BSoD caused by the GPU due to conflicting OC software
Dynamic Super Resolution (Its fake resolution upscaling) i use for game screenshots in some cases thats why its showing there, its not actually enabled since im using my native monitor res of 1440p. I dont actually natively use DSR for everyday use especially on a card like a 3060 Ti lol.

Uninstalling Aorus engine didnt seem to do much unfortunately.

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
Just wondering. Do you use chrome and leave it open when gaming? What programs do you have in background in taskbar?
I always close chrome before opening any game. Most background apps are openRGB, Aorus Engine, ICUE, steam, Discord (SOMETIMES), Wallpaper Engine (Have it set to stop with full screen apps to free resources), Spotify, CoreTemp, and that's honestly really it everything else (which is a short list of apps) is part of the system.

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
Im bumping this thread again. Since then I have replaced the CPU and motherboard and completely wiped and reinstalled windows. The problem still remains, I have reached out to gigabyte about the gpu being the cause, they say its possible if the other components are working as intended.

Im still at a loss because while the gpu might be the cause; what doesnt make any sense to me is that the GPU fully delivers performance on multiple different stress tests and passes all of them. Why would it be a problem if the GPU is not even doing anything sitting idle? Still at a complete standstill here already posted to different forums around with no explanation. I still dont know what else it could be besides maybe PSU but that was also tested and had stable rails across the board.

New specs:
Ryzen 7 5800X (Default clock with PBO turned on)
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk (Fully updated bios)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.