Question Micro Stutter in games with 7950x3D and 4090

Volrath

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing frustrating micro stuttering (every 5-10 seconds) issues while playing several games, including Valorant, Rocket League, and Helldivers 2. I've tried to troubleshoot the issue myself but haven't had any luck so far.

Here are the specifics of my system:

- Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI
- GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4090 O24GB ROG Strix Gaming
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
- PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-1000
- BIOS Version: 2613
- Memory: 2x 16GB DDR5 G.Skill F5-6000J3038F16G
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19045.4291 (22H2)
- EXPO I enabled
- fTPM Disabled

To give you an idea of the issue, here are some SS ( View: https://imgur.com/a/CWelFFo
) showing the frame timing from Valorant, Rocket League, and Helldivers 2. From the images, you can see the irregular frame pacing which I believe is causing the stutters. Only video stutters, audio is normal.

Here's what I've tried so far:
- Updated all drivers, including GPU and motherboard firmware.
- Monitored CPU and GPU temperatures (all within normal ranges).
- Disabled fTMP based on some posts of with similar issue.
- Disabled EXPO.
- Fresh Windows install.
- Updated BIOS from 1809 to 2613

Despite these efforts, the problem persists. Could this be an issue with my hardware setup or possibly a software/configuration issue? Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is Resizable Bar (Smart Access Memory) enabled? Try disable it in Adrenaline, i think the setting is there. Restart computer to take effect.

Setting for Resizable Bar, well Smart Access Memory Amd calls it, is also in Bios. Try disable it there if turning it off in software doesn't work.

Volrath

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
What are your actual CPU and GPU operating temperatures at idle and under load?

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

Are your AMD chipset drivers fully up to date?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/chipsets/am5/x670e.html
I dont have anything overclocked, chipset if full up to date.

Idle temps: GPU 30°C and CPU 48°C.

I will test under load in a few hours.

Is Resizable Bar (Smart Access Memory) enabled? Try disable it in Adrenaline, i think the setting is there. Restart computer to take effect.

Setting for Resizable Bar, well Smart Access Memory Amd calls it, is also in Bios. Try disable it there if turning it off in software doesn't work.

I disabled Resizable Bar in BIOS, had the same result.

Other things that i have tried:
  • Tried both CPU SMC CPPC preferred cores to 'frequency' and 'cache', neither worked.
  • Windows is on High Performance power plan.
  • Tried disabling CCD1, but the issue persisted.
  • Attempted to update to Windows 11, but faced difficulties due to fTPM settings. After several BIOS resets and configurations, I managed to boot with everything on for the Windows 11 update. However, the Windows Update tool didn't recognize the machine as ready for the update. Had to turn off fTPM to boot successfully.
  • Will create a fresh and up-to-date bootable Windows 11 install tomorrow and try again.

Thanks for the help!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If not already done, I strongly recommend resetting the BIOS to its default state. No custom settings at all. It would appear you have tried many things and it is difficult to figure out what is/isn't in play in regards to troubleshooting.

Need a stable baseline first.