[SOLVED] Micro Stuttering after upgrading CPU

zen_

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
Before I state my problem, I'd like to thank whoever is reading this to take time out of their day to help me.

I upgraded around 3 days ago and went from a Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 5 5600x. After installing the CPU I went and played COD: MW2019, COD: Cold War and CSGO. Everything went fine for these games and I had no micro stuttering or even bad framerate. I then went to try Escape From Tarkov and Minecraft Java Edition (both relatively CPU intensive titles) and found that they were micro stuttering. Escape from Tarkov went from 144FPS to 60FPS after scav's spawned although I believe I should be having more than 60FPS. With Minecraft I had 300+ FPS but it was micro stuttering every few seconds.

My Specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (Beta BIOS, CPU wouldn't be supported otherwise)
  • CPU COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
  • RAM: 2x8 GB Kingston Fury 3200MHz CL16
  • Storage: 250GB Corsair MP510 PCIe Gen 3 4x SSD
    500GB Samsung Evo 860 SSD
    1TB Western Digital Blue HDD @7200RPM
  • GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RX 5600XT OC
  • PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W 80+ Gold

List of things I have already tried:
  • Reinstalling Windows about 4 times (used a USB stick)
  • Installing an older GPU driver
  • Disabling AMD Freesync / Anti-Lag / Enhanced-Sync
  • Reseating CPU and reinstalling RAM
  • Disabling XMP Profiles
  • Resetting CMOS
  • Trying AMD's PBO and Default Profiles from Ryzen Master
  • Disabling / Enabling HPET, Dynamic Ticks
  • Disabling fTPM
  • Letting LatencyMon run (dxgkrnl.sys had crazy high latency at about 25ms and HDAudBus.sys was sometimes spiking)

Last edited:
Solution
Stuttering is usually caused by a momentary lack of a needed resource.
Normally, the cpu, but it could be ram or a drive.
I suspect in this case, the cpu.
Run HWmonitor while the stuttering happens.
Look at the max cpu temperature.
If you see a core in red, it indicates that throttling(reduction in performance) happened. For intel, that is about 100c.
For ryzen, I think it might be about 85c.
The turbo boost mechanism for ryzen is a bit of a mystery to me, but I think the solution is there.

As a stab in the dark, set the windows power profile
to balanced(not performance) and change the max cpu% from 100% to 99%
Before I state my problem, I'd like to thank whoever is reading this to take time out of their day to help me.

I upgraded around 3 days ago and went from a Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 5 5600x. After installing the CPU I went and played COD: MW2019, COD: Cold War and CSGO. Everything went fine for these games and I had no micro stuttering or even bad framerate. I then went to try Escape From Tarkov and Minecraft Java Edition (both relatively CPU intensive titles) and found that they were micro stuttering. Escape from Tarkov went from 144FPS to 60FPS after scav's spawned although I believe I should be having more than 60FPS. With Minecraft I had 300+ FPS but it was micro stuttering every few seconds.

My Specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (Beta BIOS, CPU wouldn't be supported otherwise)
  • CPU COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
  • RAM: 2x8 GB Kingston Fury 3200MHz CL16
  • Storage: 250GB Corsair MP510 PCIe Gen 3 4x SSD
    500GB Samsung Evo 860 SSD
    1TB Western Digital Blue HDD @7200RPM
  • GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RX 5600XT OC
  • PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W 80+ Gold

List of things I have already tried:
  • Reinstalling Windows about 4 times (used a USB stick)
  • Installing an older GPU driver
  • Disabling AMD Freesync / Anti-Lag / Enhanced-Sync
  • Reseating CPU and reinstalling RAM
  • Trying AMD's PBO and Default Profiles from Ryzen Master
  • Disabling / Enabling HPET, Dynamic Ticks
  • Disabling fTPM
  • Letting LatencyMon run (dxgkrnl.sys had crazy high latency at about 25ms and HDAudBus.sys was sometimes spiking)
After install windows did you go to the mobo site and get the proper drivers?

Perhaps install hwinfo and see what the temps are doing.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

zen_

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
After install windows did you go to the mobo site and get the proper drivers?

Perhaps install hwinfo and see what the temps are doing.
Hey, yes I went to the MSI page and downloaded their drivers. Temps when idling are sitting at about 40 degrees and while gaming go up to 55-60. Stress testing with Prime95 makes the CPU boost up to 4.65GHz at 1.35v and reaches 88 degrees.

If you see a core in red, it indicates that throttling(reduction in performance) happened. For intel, that is about 100c.
The turbo boost mechanism for ryzen is a bit of a mystery to me, but I think the solution is there.

Solution

zen_

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020

I'll check it out tomorrow and will update you. Thanks :)

I will try that tomorrow and i'll update if that helped. Thank you :)

I upgraded to this CPU from the 3700x and before updating the BIOS I first loaded BIOS defaults, then shorted the jumper to clear CMOS, then actually removed the battery for a few minutes anyway just to make sure. I then updated the BIOS and chucked in this chip and it runs flawlessly.

You've not mentioned updating the BIOS but it's something to perhaps consider if trying everything else above doesn't work. But even if I hadn't have needed to update the BIOS when I upgraded, I'd have still done all the other things before installing the new processor.

So try those without updating BIOS, let us know how you get on. A BIOS has to 'learn' new hardware, which is why initial boot sometimes takes a bit longer. If it still thinks it's dealing with a 2600, then you maybe need to clear the BIOS cache as it were and allow the BIOS to 'learn' about the new 5600x so it can address it properly.

zen_

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
I upgraded to this CPU from the 3700x and before updating the BIOS I first loaded BIOS defaults, then shorted the jumper to clear CMOS, then actually removed the battery for a few minutes anyway just to make sure. I then updated the BIOS and chucked in this chip and it runs flawlessly.

You've not mentioned updating the BIOS but it's something to perhaps consider if trying everything else above doesn't work. But even if I hadn't have needed to update the BIOS when I upgraded, I'd have still done all the other things before installing the new processor.

So try those without updating BIOS, let us know how you get on. A BIOS has to 'learn' new hardware, which is why initial boot sometimes takes a bit longer. If it still thinks it's dealing with a 2600, then you maybe need to clear the BIOS cache as it were and allow the BIOS to 'learn' about the new 5600x so it can address it properly.
Hey! So I cleared CMOS and the stuttering still is present. But only in those said games which is confusing. And yeah I'm sorry I actually did forget to mention that I did actually update the BIOS with BIOS Flashback to the latest BIOS which is a Beta BIOS.

zen_

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020

Hey, so I tried setting it to balanced with max cpu set to 99% and it's still there. As for temperatures they're fine, 60 degrees while in Minecraft and in Escape from Tarkov around 55~ degrees.

zen_

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
Little update, I left LatencyMon running in the background and just moving windows seems to make dxgkrnl.sys spike up to 1400~ microseconds and stuttering occurred. And just after 27 minutes there's 58237 hard page faults but I don't know if that means anything.

Edit: Disabling Hardware acceleration on browser seems to fix the stuttering when moving the window around and no spikes from dxgkrnl.sys. Maybe its a driver issue?

Last edited:

Sadz_Mas

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
This is not a issue from your side,This issue is a ftpm issue which is confirmed by Amd and will be fixed when you update your bios to the latest version note that the version should be AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.7

Last edited:

zen_

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
This is not a issue from your side,This issue is a ftpm issue which is confirmed by Amd and will be fixed when you update your bios to the latest version note that the version should be AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.7
I've heard about it. I'll keep an eye out for the update thank you :)

zen_

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020

Small update, MSI released a new BIOS (AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.7 like you said) for my Motherboard but took it down. I managed to install it tho and am currently running it but haven't seen any changes. I'm really starting lose my mind here.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Small update, MSI released a new BIOS (AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.7 like you said) for my Motherboard but took it down. I managed to install it tho and am currently running it but haven't seen any changes. I'm really starting lose my mind here.
Seems you and I are on the same exact boat. Updating and exchanging different components, yet the stuttering is never gone.

Some info I have gathered talking to ASUS for my specific case, they said that it could be my motherboard. I had mentioned I tried a new motherboard with correct parts and told him that it seemed to work more smoothly (faster boot, windows loading quicker, etc.). I can't remember if it exactly was that, but I remember it working better, but only slightly. I believe stutters still occurred.

This entire fTPM stutter might be on a deeper level with the CPU itself and not with motherboards. I'd hate to switch to Intel, but if they're more stable than what Ryzen is doing, I will 100% switch over.

zen_

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
Seems you and I are on the same exact boat. Updating and exchanging different components, yet the stuttering is never gone.

Some info I have gathered talking to ASUS for my specific case, they said that it could be my motherboard. I had mentioned I tried a new motherboard with correct parts and told him that it seemed to work more smoothly (faster boot, windows loading quicker, etc.). I can't remember if it exactly was that, but I remember it working better, but only slightly. I believe stutters still occurred.

This entire fTPM stutter might be on a deeper level with the CPU itself and not with motherboards. I'd hate to switch to Intel, but if they're more stable than what Ryzen is doing, I will 100% switch over.
That really would suck if it'd be on an even deeper level. If you haven't tried yet try using Windows 11, that seemed to mostly fix it for me.