[SOLVED] Micro Stuttering in all games I play, driving me nuts !

Feb 18, 2022
Build is as follows https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3kbcjp

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor

Video of the situation at hand:
View: https://youtu.be/bqLIT3qxRuw

No matter what FPS cap I set the game to it will drop everything about 10% or so. On 3DS emulator for example it ALWAYS drops from 60 to 54. Similarly in say subnautica it will drop from 130+ to 110. Almost as if it drops at the same percentage no matter the game.

Some of my build is pretty old. The last two years I barely used my computer I was very active in my job due to COVID related situations. I come back and there's microstutters all over every game I play that isn't a 2D extremely low impact 5% of gpu type of game.

Notably my SSDs are proabably 8+ years old. The PSU is also about as old. I moved from one SSD to the other about 6 years ago and last year I did a fresh OS install to no avail. The cpu/gpu/motherboard/ram are all less than 8 months old. Upgrading them didn't fix the issue I have. This notably effects emulators greatly making them borderline unplayable if it's emulating a console that uses 3D. I have no idea why. This computer has NEVER blue screened in a game that didn't involve me knocking into it on accident.

https://ibb.co/fSZRTw5 Crystal Disk Info says the health of the C: drive is good?

If you have any test ideas I could go through that would be amazing and I would be so grateful. Any ideas?

Solution
Try going into bios and under exit, reset bios to optimal/original settings. Save and restart see if this changes anything. Also, what windows power settings are you using? Does your monitor have freesync? Could you possibly post your Nvidia control panel 3d settings? While there make sure in 3d settings under preferred graphics processor you have Nvidia graphics processor selected and not auto/cpu. Also know that using emulators are a pain because they are transforming from one set of instructions to a pc environment, so it slows things down quite a bit. You can also install MSI Afterburner and bump up the gpu's performance .
Turns out one of my SSDs that held a lot of my stuff had issues and caused massive stutter everytime...
Feb 18, 2022
Have you checked for driver updates for hardware, sound, gpu, bios etc?
I completed a DDU on gpu last week. Just updated every driver manually. Also just figured out how bios updating works and did the latest one. No change. Considering your accolades on this site I'll take any advice you can think of. Thanks for replying.

Try going into bios and under exit, reset bios to optimal/original settings. Save and restart see if this changes anything. Also, what windows power settings are you using? Does your monitor have freesync? Could you possibly post your Nvidia control panel 3d settings? While there make sure in 3d settings under preferred graphics processor you have Nvidia graphics processor selected and not auto/cpu. Also know that using emulators are a pain because they are transforming from one set of instructions to a pc environment, so it slows things down quite a bit. You can also install MSI Afterburner and bump up the gpu's performance .

Feb 18, 2022
Turns out one of my SSDs that held a lot of my stuff had issues and caused massive stutter everytime anything loaded. I moved everything over to an HHD and the stutter disappeared. Sifu still lags when loading but the OTHER SSD that's like 8 years old is probably just too slow to load it quick enough. I ordered one of those fancy M.2 3500mbps SSDs off amazon so I can run everything in existence. Will move the OS over to it too. Thanks for helping either way friend.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
Solution

TRENDING THREADS