[SOLVED] Micro stuttering in games

Oct 29, 2019
Hello everyone,

I open this new topic because, since 3 or 4 years I have a problem with my computer that I couldn't solve.
In every games that I have or at least 80% of them, I have some micro stuttering.
These micro stuttering are weird because they can appear randomly and without obvious reason.

To explain you all the story, I bought my computer 4 years ago in a computer store with a little difference, at the beginning there was a Nvidia GTX 760.
Since that day I never been able to play without these random stuttering and on every type of games like (League of Legends, Batman Arkham Origins, Borderlands 2, etc...).

After one month I decided to ask to a technician at the computer store to see if my computer had a problem.
He said that he will keep it to test the components and after two days, he called me to say that everything was ok, but infortunately nothing had changed.

I tried to change the graphic card for a Nvidia GTX 980Ti, but the only change is that now I can play with a greater quality but always with these micro stuttering.
I also made some research on internet but nothing really conclusive.

That's why today I'm here to ask your help.

My config :

• CPU : Intel Core i7-4770K
  • Motherboard : Asus Sabertooth Z87
  • RAM : 8Go DDR3 1600Mhz
  • GPU : Nvidia GTX 980Ti
  • Storage : Samsung SSD 840 Evo 128Go / SSHD 2To

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Solution
16GB in a dual channel configuration (2x8Gb) would be better, but while you are saving for that:

Three recommendations immediately:

See if Cortana is being a pig. Large CPU usage was a bug in a recent Windows update from Sept. make sure you aren't suffering from this.

Empty the standby list and disable all video recording apps, both NVidia and Windows built in apps.

Clean install your video driver with DDU, and install just the video driver, and ONLY if needed, HDMI sound and PhysX

You can try setting up a task to empty the standby list, or run a 3rd party program to do this. This is helpful for some people in more recent versions of win 10:

One such program (easiset to do):

Program is...
Is/are the game(s) installed on the hybrid?

I'd nuke and pave, this skipping the SSHD altogether, installing WIndows (and all WIndows updates, mainboard and GPU drivers, and a single test game onto the SSD only, seeing if pulling a test game from storage might have been the cause of hesitation...

(I can understand the desire to keep the small SSD as clear as possible, but, a new 1 TB Crucial MX500 can be had for $105... (you can take it with you when upgrading, of course)

Oct 29, 2019
Hello,

Yes the games are installed on the hybrid hard disk.

So I will install only one game where the stuttering are really annoying and I will try it this week-end.

I will post a new answer after tried it.
Thanks

Also have to consider:

Video resolution and frame rate.

Also, is your 8Gb a single memory DIMM or a 2x4Gb config. Single channel can rob quite a bit of performance.

Game dependent of course. But can be up to a 30-40 FPS difference in some games in some spots.

Oct 29, 2019
Hi,

Sorry for this long wait, but I tried to play all this end of week to the only game installed on the SSD disk. But it's always the same on this game (Assassin's Creed III).

I don't know why but I have always random stuttering. I'm wondering if it's not the amount of RAM.

My screen is an Asus (1920x1080 / 60hz) and I have a configuration with 2x4Gb of RAM.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019
I have the same issue that I experienced on my old PC GTX 970 and i7 4790k . Noticeable microstutters in games and doesn’t run game smoothly. Feels choppy. My brother ( that plays on the same PC as me ) has played on different PC’s at LAN on friends computer etc. And felt that it’s smooth, and doesn’t feel choppy. We thought it was the hardware so We recently upgraded to i7 9700k,RTX2070Super,hx850,z390-f,16gb ddr4 3200mhz, Samsung 970 evo plus 500gb and within playing for 30 seconds after setting up everything, my bro noticed immediately that it felt the same. He capped FPS at 60 on CSGO ( On 144hz ) to test it and it was even dropping to 58 on these specs!

Oct 29, 2019
Hi,

I would like to buy a new kit of RAM, but it's expensive and I want to be sure that will fix the problem, otherwise I don't need it.

I'm really disappointed because I tried so many things to make it works but finally it's always the same.

I tried to change my second hard drive with a SSHD drive, I tried to change my graphics card a GTX760 by GTX980 Ti, I tried so many times to format my hard drive, I also tried to play with another screen.

I finally tried to remove all the overclock applied automatically by the motherboard but nothing happened.

I'm really really tired, I think the computer is good to running games and I don't understand why I have this random stuttering 😟

Thanks in advance

16GB in a dual channel configuration (2x8Gb) would be better, but while you are saving for that:

Three recommendations immediately:

See if Cortana is being a pig. Large CPU usage was a bug in a recent Windows update from Sept. make sure you aren't suffering from this.

Empty the standby list and disable all video recording apps, both NVidia and Windows built in apps.

Clean install your video driver with DDU, and install just the video driver, and ONLY if needed, HDMI sound and PhysX

You can try setting up a task to empty the standby list, or run a 3rd party program to do this. This is helpful for some people in more recent versions of win 10:

One such program (easiset to do):

Program is "Intelligent Standby List Cleaner"

You can use RAMMap from the Microsoft Sysinternal utilites, but that is a manual process
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap

As another alternative, you can create a task to clean the Standby List with WJ32

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 29, 2019
Hi,

About the bug with Cortana, thankfully I never got it ^^.

Thanks for the "Intelligent standby list cleaner" tool, I never heard about it so I downloaded it and I tried to "Purge Standby list" and let it turn in background, but I didn't see difference between before and after launching tool.

For DDU tool I already tried it one year ago, but I tried again this afternoon but it's the same result as before, nothing has changed.

I really appreciate your help, but finally I don't know what can I do to fix my computer because even with minimum graphics configurations on games I have these horrible random stuttering.

If you want, I can provide you a video with some random stuttering in games to help you.

Thanks in advance

Next, make sure ALL overlays are disabled. Any and all games/game clients overlays, discord, etc.

Make sure games are running in fullscreen exclusive mode, not borderless windowed.

Try disabling ALL 3rd party stuff with a clean boot: (you may have to leave background game clients running, like steam, origin, uplay, etc)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Disable search indexing, which at times, is another resource pig.