[SOLVED] micro stuttering problem ?

Apr 25, 2022
Around 3 weeks ago I bought a 3060 and I put in a new power supply that I got from my friend. For the first couple weeks everything was normal and I had no issues. But then randomly after around 2 weeks (began a week ago) I started to get micro stutters in every single game I played. I never get this stuttering when I first start my pc up. If I start my pc up and play games there is no micro stuttering. Usually the micro stuttering begins after my pc has been on for a few hours. Nearly every time it has happened, I had left my pc on idle for at least like 3-5 hours and then I came back, tried to play games, and all of them were micro stuttering.

When I am getting the micro stutters, the temperatures of my cpu and gpu are normal (50-60 celcius) and the clock speeds of both cpu and gpu are normal as well. The only fix that has worked is that it usually goes away after I have restarted my computer. Although this has fixed it nearly every time, it is very annoying having to restart my pc just to play games. Is there any other fix to my problem so that I don't have to restart to fix the micro stuttering?

PS: I have already uninstalled and reinstalled drivers for my gpu.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 3800x with stock cooler
Asus rog strix 3060
corsair 650w CX650M
32 gb 3200 mhz corsair ram
Aorus b450 pro wifi

Last edited:
Solution
I have found the solution to my problem... or at least sort of. I play nearly every game in fullscreen as it gives the smoothest and highest fps when playing games so it never crossed my mind that being in fullscreen was the problem. It turns out that once I switched from fullscreen to windowed borderless, the micro stuttering completely stopped. From what I have found this issue is likely caused by the Standby List cache for RAM.

Solution: If you are playing games in fullscreen and getting micro stutters go to borderless windowed instead.
What might have changed since all was initially going well?
Perhaps some sort of a software update?

Normally, failure after a time smacks of thermal issue.
Sonce the cpu and gpu are ok, could it be a psu thermal issue?

Another possibility is a memory leak.
Is there anything unusual running while you are gaming?
I have heard of issues with discord for example.

Apr 25, 2022
Look at the task manager. Anything odd going on there? I've had an issue like this with Firefox. Had a ram leak and was using all my ram. Killing FF fixed the problem as I had access to all my ram again.
I looked at task manager while playing games and it was using around 12 GB of memory. How would I know if it was a memory leak would it just be at an abnormal amount of memory usage?

Apr 25, 2022
What might have changed since all was initially going well?
Perhaps some sort of a software update?

Normally, failure after a time smacks of thermal issue.
Sonce the cpu and gpu are ok, could it be a psu thermal issue?

Another possibility is a memory leak.
Is there anything unusual running while you are gaming?
I have heard of issues with discord for example.
From when it was fine to when I started having issues nothing really changed. I don't remember having any software updates or any other changes. The micro stuttering kind of came out of no where and was very random. Also for the psu I got it from my friend who prior to me using it had been using it in his pc with a 3060ti and he had no issues. I also didn't have issues for the first two weeks using it. Just in case it is a thermal issue with the psu, is there a way check that?
In terms of the memory leak, when playing games the ram usage seems pretty normal (around 12gb out of 32gb). Usually I have discord and sometimes a web browser open in the background while playing games however I still have the issue even when those applications are closed. Although to be honest I don't know what constitutes having a memory leak and how I would know whether I have one or not.

4745454b

Titan
How would I know if it was a memory leak would it just be at an abnormal amount of memory usage?

Correct. Anything with a higher amount than normal. You might need to watch after a reboot. It doesn't need to be crazy either. I had 16GBs of ram at the time, my game would use 6GBs or so, while FF used another 8. It's less than the 16GBs I had, but it was high enough usage to throw everything off.

I'm not exactly sure what that is, how would I check that?

To be honest I'm not sure. Motherboard temps are easier to find out. From what I gather after a fast websearch, unless your card has a sensor built in, you can't. Some have bought thermal probes and used those to try to figure it out/get close.

To be honest I'm not sure. Motherboard temps are easier to find out. From what I gather after a fast websearch, unless your card has a sensor built in, you can't. Some have bought thermal probes and used those to try to figure it out/get close.
I was referring to the motherboard VRMs. This can be checked by installing HWinfo and checking the motherboard section for temps if the motherboard has thermistors for them. A lot of motherboards do not have this function though.

Apr 25, 2022
Correct. Anything with a higher amount than normal. You might need to watch after a reboot. It doesn't need to be crazy either. I had 16GBs of ram at the time, my game would use 6GBs or so, while FF used another 8. It's less than the 16GBs I had, but it was high enough usage to throw everything off.

Alright I'll keep what you said about the memory leak in mind although I don't believe it is that because while I was getting the stuttering there were no programs that were using an abnormal amount of memory. I believe I actually may have fixed it. I guess I should have done this sooner but I checked and made sure every plug and component in my pc was plugged in fully by just replugging them in again. I also replaced the cable to my gpu with a different one and so far there have been no problems although it hasn't even been a full day since I have done that. I will continue to monitor it over the next couple days and if the issue stops within that time then I will update this post and deem it solved. If not then I'm back to square one.

Apr 25, 2022
I have found the solution to my problem... or at least sort of. I play nearly every game in fullscreen as it gives the smoothest and highest fps when playing games so it never crossed my mind that being in fullscreen was the problem. It turns out that once I switched from fullscreen to windowed borderless, the micro stuttering completely stopped. From what I have found this issue is likely caused by the Standby List cache for RAM.

Solution: If you are playing games in fullscreen and getting micro stutters go to borderless windowed instead.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS