[SOLVED] MicroCenter has 9700K and 9900K on a great sale

Solution
Would pay the extra 50 dollars and get a 10700k and get a good solid motherboard like Aorus Ultra Z490

If you could arrive at a ~$50 delta, that would be a good call..... but I think that delta is closer to ~$200?
Suggesting a $380 CPU and a ~$280 motherboard, $660

Availability is a bit limited these days, but still options out there.

Microcenter still shows quality Z390 boards for reasonable prices ...
Z390 Aorus Elite for $170
Aorus Pro Wifi for $190
+$20 off.

The Z390 Taichi is on Amazon for ~$180

So anywhere between $450-$480 for a 9900K + quality board....
Yes I saw that! Excellent prices. I bought the i9-9900k from them a couple of months ago for $349 which I still think is a decent price. $299 is a steal! If you have a compatible motherboard with good VRM, the i9-9900k will do you good for the next few years. You definitely need a good cooler though.

Reactions: punkncat
D

Deleted member 1560910

The bad thing about this is you cant find a good mobo to pair it with good vrms
Would pay the extra 50 dollars and get a 10700k and get a good solid motherboard like Aorus Ultra Z490

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

If you could arrive at a ~$50 delta, that would be a good call..... but I think that delta is closer to ~$200?

Aorus Pro Wifi for $190
+$20 off.

Solution
D

Deleted member 1560910

Aorus Pro Wifi for $190
+$20 off.

The elite wont cut it and pro wont cut for 9900k need ultra or master for proper VRM cooling

Ya it's nice
But somethings do suck with them alot of parts / products have to be purchased in person, so some parts No online orders.
When you can see other Micro's that have the parts you want instock there and out of stock here they Will not transfer stock from store to store.

This yr with the still ongoing Covid I
Must have had 4 different mobo in and out of my cart within 2 weeks because of parts suddenly out of stock for my wifes upgrade. AND finally jumped on a Asus Rog Crosshair's Vii non wifi for $159.99 when I bought my Son's r5 3600 with it.
So both of them got a upgrade when I Jumped.
Now that she is happy with her system I have been told to leave it alone and quit Eyeballing her mobo!!!! LOL

Best advice Op if you like the prices you are seeing and all is in stock Use the Reserve Option and all parts will be reserved and waiting for you to pick for 3 days.
After that they will be returned to stock.

There's Always Vacations Guy's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The elite wont cut it and pro wont cut for 9900k need ultra or master for proper VRM cooling

I'd have to see something to substantiate that, as the Elite should 'cut it', AFAIK.
Obviously not for world record type OCs, and there will always be better options vs the Elite if money is no object, but the Elite should be fine for 5-5.1GHz all core, and you're not getting much more out of a 9900K anyway (again, AFAIK - I could be wrong, but I don't think I am).

Reactions: rickypicky5

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI handles my 9900K without totally crapping itself. My VRM temperatures are just fine, maybe because of that funny little fan on my AIO.
The video was a visual counter to someone saying that the Aorus Elite and Pro wouldn't 'cut it' with a 9900K... yet an even lower tier board from the same company was shown doing ok with it.
Gigabyte has been releasing good products in all price segments for the last few years. I can't say the same for some of the other AIBs.

The video was a visual counter to someone saying that the Aorus Elite and Pro wouldn't 'cut it' with a 9900K... yet an even lower tier board from the same company was shown doing ok with it.
Gigabyte has been releasing good products in all price segments for the last few years. I can't say the same for some of the other AIBs.
I 100% understood what you implied with that video and agree. In addition to the Gigabyte Z390 UD, my motherboard is also a 'lower tier' board from Gigabyte (lower than the Aorus tier) and works just fine with the i9-9900K. The other poster stated 'you need ultra or master' for proper VRM cooling. My AIO cooler has a fan on its CPU heatsink that helps with VRM cooling.

D

Deleted member 1560910

I would feel more comfortable with a higher end board thats just me. The high end Ultra and masters had the best Vrm cooling for that gen of CPU. Will it work of coarse it will. Will temps go up with a 5.0 of coarse it will . Still is a great deal

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Heatsinks help, but most of the VRM's cooling is on the motherboard ground plane, a direct metal-metal connection to the Tx core. Heatsinks get heat delivered on the outside of that nice carbonized silicon, through half-ash crap thermal tape. You might be reading 50+ °C on the top of that heatsink with an IR spot, but underneath, inside the Tx where it's directly grounded out in the core, it's quite a bit warmer.

Asus actually had the right idea, even if not so well thought out implementation. Active cooling the heatsink, not passively relying on blow past breeze from a cpu cooler. Keeping the vanes (not just a solid ish cover) cooler than the dissipation point means more heat is absorbed by the heatsink, less gets to travel to the ground plane, or if pushed to the same ground plane temp level, more power ability.

Gigabyte has done a great job, not only supplying decent heatsinks, but reinforcing the ground plane with thicker copper over a larger area.

You could take the heatsink from a good board, slap it on a budget board and it'd not really make much difference. The heatsink is just icing on the cake, it's the VRM's and what they are attached to that make up the cake itself.

Reactions: rickypicky5