News MicroCenter Leaks Intel Core i9-12900K, Core i7-12700K Retail Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BX4096

Reputable
Aug 9, 2020
So according to more recent news: eye-watering 400 watts at 5.3GHz 1.44v, 330W at 5.2GHz, and 11% worse than 5950X in multi-threaded performance.

I was really looking forward to upgrading, but with this news and at this price point, waiting another year for Raptor Lake and next gen Ryzen (to drive the prices down) seems like the only sensible solution. Too damn bad.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well those eye watering results are from heavy OC, so I would not put a lot of weigh to those...
All in all these are cheaper than I expected, but I would wait test before even considering these based on info about troubles with old games. And also nice to see how this ends up with AMD ddr5 upgrade. I would not jump to ddr5 wagon before seeing what both companies offer in that department...

Reactions: Why_Me

BILL1957

Commendable
Sep 8, 2020
Well those eye watering results are from heavy OC, so I would not put a lot of weigh to those...
All in all these are cheaper than I expected, but I would wait test before even considering these based on info about troubles with old games. And also nice to see how this ends up with AMD ddr5 upgrade. I would not jump to ddr5 wagon before seeing what both companies offer in that department...
The cost is going to come down to what will it cost to upgrade to the platform and what the real world performance benches. Alder Lakes success could rely on how well the new CPU performance is using the current ddr4 memory and avoiding the much higher new ddr5 standard pricing.

AMD will not be doing the ddr5 thing until q4 2022 probably with the new zen 4 offerings and by that time will be competing against the Intel Raptor Lake offerings.

And I agree the issue with the cpu conflict with the older game titles drm is a really big deal.
I was interested in Alder Lake but unless this is rectified before I build I will not be considering this platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.