Micron Outs 3D NAND Technical Details, 3D SSDs Landing In June

Status
Not open for further replies.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Shouldn't this article really say Micron catch up to Samsung's current gen hardware rather than say anything about next gen? 3D NAND has been in use in Sammy SSD's for what?... A year or more right?

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Shouldn't this article really say Micron catch up to Samsung's current gen hardware rather than say anything about next gen? 3D NAND has been in use in Sammy SSD's for what?... A year or more right?

Yeah, it's amazing that Samsung is not even mentioned in the Article.
Samsung debuted 24 layer 3d nand enterprise SSDs in 2013 and 32 layer consumer SSDs in 2014.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Samsung was mentioned but not by name.

"Competing technology shipping today needs 48 layers to achieve the same density."

This was an update on Micron after they held meetings so media could ask questions. We will have an update on 48-layer NAND from Samsung in a few days. Toshiba's BiCS 2 and SK Hynix's 3D are still not ready.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Samsung was mentioned but not by name.
"Competing technology shipping today needs 48 layers to achieve the same density."
Wich is a very unfair comparisson. This sentence is ok for Micron publicity but it's not appropiate for a neutral technical Article (because you are neutral here, right?) for several reasons:
1) Samsung managed to get 32 layers with 2014 technology, micron will have 32 layers with 2016 technology (no wonder is more dense)
2) Samsung already achieved the same level of density (using 48 layers) with 2015 technology, so it looks like micron is still a year behind.
3) The reason why micron can achieve more density with same layers is because they put most of the logic (things like address decoding and page buffers) under the storage layers. This, that at first glance looks like an advantage, has its dawbacks. Having the logic under means more levels of logic (be it storage or decoders) wich make it harder to implement more layers. So, 32-layers with logic under storage is equivalent in density to 48 layers with logic around, but also has a similar level of complexity. I've seel pictures of microns implementation and their logic under the array seems to be the equivalent height of 16-32 layers of storage.

From your sentence looks like Samsung is at a disadvantege, while I think that still has a signifficant lead over all its competitors.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Oh no, it will come much sooner than that. Intel just announced three enterprise SSDs with 3D NAND. Intel and Micron are in bed together on this with a joint venture, IMFT.

A birdie told me Micron will have a consumer SSD ready with 3D NAND at Computex (June) but it's just a rumor at this point.

My bad, I have 3D xpoint on the brain. I saw intel and 3D in the same sentence and lept to a bad conclusion. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/3d-xpoint-technology-animation.html

Status
Not open for further replies.