Micron Reveals PCIe Enterprise I/O Accelerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchawk

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
This helps servers in VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) environments to handle the humongous I/O needs. Lets try to picture this:
-In VDI environments, employees doen't have a desktop to access emails, do spreadsheets, feed databases or whatever. They have thin clients;
-Thin clients are devices that just connects your mouse, keyboard and monitor to the servers, which actually handles your desktop processing, storage and os;
-Why? Because this way users can access their desktops from anywhere they want in any devide they want, as the desktops are hosted in (generally) a cluster of servers. Plus, it makes management easier.
-Now imagine everyone arriving to work at morning. Hundreds of thousands of boot requests hammering the server cluster at the same time. Can you imagine the load on the storage system?
Search also for FusionIO...
And these puppies usually costs something like 20k plus

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I wonder how this compares to the wd enterprise hd that were just announced in terms of pricing.
Performance wise its seams 700% better.
Update: wd enterprise hd is 200 mb/s vs these 1.8g/s to 3g/s is more like a 9 to 15 times greater performance.

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

900 gigs wd enterprise hd for $599 would mean $4200 for these I doubt that.
Sorry I wrote 7x it's more like 9 to 15 times the performance depending on which one.

Status
Not open for further replies.